Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customizing my Fawcett Custom

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
I did it! I put Art's signature touch to my Fawcett custom. A fine DIY project. I received it around Christmas time and it's dark charcoal with a band that matches pretty closely. I always regretted not getting the signature thing he does with the bows on his bands...the addition of a color piece to the mid-line of the vertical band that gathers and secures the bow...is that clear? Anyway, I was rummaging through my wife's sewing stuff and found a hair ribbon...3/8" wide in a ruby color. Hmmm-m-m-m, I thought. So I cut off about 1 1/2" of it and sat down with the fedora in hand and a long thin set of tweezers. I then tucked that little strip of ruby ribbon under the forward parts of the existing bow (that center piece has a right and left half which sit on top of a piece that is further back, and the back part is exposed) and over the top to behind the bow. It took about 60 seconds of gentle stuffing and wiggling but in the end I had a bow that is dark gray except for that little vertical center sliver...which is now a nice ruby red. It looks totally Art Fawcett and like it came right out of his shop.

Gentlemen...start your ribbons!

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Brooksie says...

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

American ingenuity at its finest! Probably took me longer to read about it than for you to do it, too.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Well, at last, it worked.

In real life the felt and ribbon are darker, by several shades...and the little ruby insert is also darker...not RED like this, not cranberry dark, but maybe in between...like RUBY RED. Also, it's "ribbed" like the regular ribbon...it's just an unfocused photo that doesn't show it.

So, here it is:

x1pdXMbD-RMMPw1-6Fr7qUazAzMZLIxyjmKnF2RSS9TNcwSKNWoPIQBzJhZqMFhGwDIosk5utpGPgCv514YqERCTJ-VLWE5GdgksUyIn3DtsNM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24