Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cute Vintage-y Shoes

SarahLouise

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Hurrah for friends who are late with Christmas gifts! I got an unexpected Amazon gift certificate and bought 2 pair of shoes, both were pretty steeply discounted.

Aerosoles Romeo in green. I've been looking at these shoes for months. The color perfectly matches one of my favorite 1940's dresses and I love the stud detail. I wish the toe wasn't so rounded though. They're quite comfortable.

greenshoes2.jpg

greenshoes.jpg

The green pair are lovely! I bought a pair of vintage green shoes a few months ago but haven't worn them yet as I'm not quite sure what goes with the green shoes.

ShortClara

One Too Many
SarahLouise said:
The green pair are lovely! I bought a pair of vintage green shoes a few months ago but haven't worn them yet as I'm not quite sure what goes with the green shoes.

I have always wanted fun green shoes! If it were me, I'd wear them with anything but green! Yellow, orange, blue, white, purple you name it! They don't have to match, they just have to go (to quote Stacy and Clinton) :)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
Hurrah for friends who are late with Christmas gifts! I got an unexpected Amazon gift certificate and bought 2 pair of shoes, both were pretty steeply discounted.

Aerosoles Romeo in green. I've been looking at these shoes for months. The color perfectly matches one of my favorite 1940's dresses and I love the stud detail. I wish the toe wasn't so rounded though. They're quite comfortable.

greenshoes2.jpg

greenshoes.jpg

Aerosoles Gingerbread T-Strap Pump in black suede. These aren't terribly vintagey but I love them! They're incredibly comfortable and the gold piping has a subtle sheen that's not too gaudy. Please pardon the chipped nail polish. :rolleyes:

blackshoes2.jpg

blackshoes.jpg

Thanks for the post on these great shoes! I just ordered the green ones and also the same style in brown. I can't wait until they get here! The price was great and they look super comfy!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Aerosoles also has a lot of great styles at steep discounts on their website right now. Both of these styles are currently listed at $19.99. I love the gingerbread style and would totally get a pair for myself, but I don't like wearing heels with such an open toe. So sad :(

NoirDame

One of the Regulars

BonnieJean

Practically Family
ND,
I think a lot of dance shoes out there don't have regular soles on the bottom for outside wear. Some of them have a suede leather bottom. They're meant to be worn indoors on dance floors. But the 2nd pair you showed appears they could be worn outside, I can't tell from the pics and descriptions. I'm always on the lookout for comfortable shoes and they do look quite comfy. I've never bought anything from this place, but have heard good comments on their products.
Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can answer your questions.
I want to know the answer too!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
NoirDame said:
Um...I would have emailed the company but they claim they prefer phone calls because their email box is 'innundated'. Unless I'm ready to order, I am NOT paying for a phone call....thought some of you ladies might have tried swing dancing shoes.

The company themselves offer your solution...

INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS: If you are not in the U.S. we are happy to answer your emails - just put "INTERNATIONAL QUESTION" in the subject line. If you do not it will be hidden from us by our spam filter

so....Put International Question in the subject line...mail it from a gmail or 'impossible to tell where' email address...and ask your questions...

Then...when you order....just dont use the same email address ;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Glad the post on the shoes was helpful--$20 is far better than $80, isn't it?

I'll surely wear the green shoes with other colors/outfits too--I was just excited that the color green seemed to match so exactly despite the 60 year difference between the dress and the shoes.

Snookie

Practically Family
NoirDame said:
Um...I would have emailed the company but they claim they prefer phone calls because their email box is 'innundated'. Unless I'm ready to order, I am NOT paying for a phone call....thought some of you ladies might have tried swing dancing shoes.

I like this one:
http://www.dancestore.com/1aawedgemaryjane.html
http://www.dancestore.com/1aarugcutter-leath.html

I thought they might be more comfortable too.

Thanks!

I've got a pair of Rugcutters, and I think they're fine for everyday wear. I only wear them for dancing, but I do wear them all the way from my house and back -- that means through the asphalt parking lot, sometimes gravel, sometimes over puddles. They're quite hardy, not like a soft pair of "ballroom" shoes. I think the leather soles are even sturdier than some of my vintage shoes. Most modern shoes have rubber bottoms, so if that's all you've ever worn it might be a little different at first.

Anyway, long story short, they're very comfortable and would be fine for daily wear.

leaette

A-List Customer
i wouldn't wear dance shoes out for regular wear. i bought a pair with the cutest cuban heel. and when i got them, they had a suede sole and it was thin. i could feel every rock and pebble. VERY uncomfortable. and they won't last long outside either. oh and they aren't weather proof.
i was going to get them re-soled but that would have cost just as much as i paid for the shoes. NO THANKS. so i returned them.

i do have a pair of swing dance shoes though that have a rubber sole and they are great for outside. i've had them for years and they are still looking great.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
leaette said:
i wouldn't wear dance shoes out for regular wear. i bought a pair with the cutest cuban heel. and when i got them, they had a suede sole and it was thin. i could feel every rock and pebble. VERY uncomfortable. and they won't last long outside either. oh and they aren't weather proof.
i was going to get them re-soled but that would have cost just as much as i paid for the shoes. NO THANKS. so i returned them.

Yes, as several others have mentioned here, many dance shoes have a suede sole that is not meant for outdoor use. If it has a regular leather sole or a rubber one, it should be fine.

Idledame

Practically Family
This thread is costing me! I bought 2 pair of Faryl Robin and one pair of those natural comfort. Unfortunately, I'm sending all of them back 'cause they just aren't comfortable (Thank goodness for free returns!) Then I bought some shoes at Tara Tango that are great, and today I bought 3 pair on sale for $19a pair at Aerosoles. But I was really looking for a site I forgot to save. I think it was something Lady Day mentioned: a site she was going to order from when they start taking orders again. It was custom made shoes under $200. Please, does anyone remember the site? Thanks everyone for the great tips!

Snookie

Practically Family
leaette said:

i do have a pair of swing dance shoes though that have a rubber sole and they are great for outside. i've had them for years and they are still looking great.

I agree about ballroom dance shoes not being sturdy enough for everyday wear, because those are designed to be ultra-lightweight and flexible. The Aris Allen shoes, however, are reproductions of vintage streetwear, that are marketed to swing dancers. No way you're going to feel every rock and pebble through a 1/2" platform. They're really more like Remix shoes than ballroom shoes. In fact, I think they're both made in Mexico - probably at the same factory!

pixie

Familiar Face
Remix Shoes

Can anyone tell me how comfortable the REMIX shoes are? I have a few pairs of Fluevogs and they are more for the look then the comfort. I have a foot problem called mortons nueroma that causes a burning pain in the ball of the foot if you stand on it for too long, such as in a pair of high heels. But I just can't help myself and I love the heels. I am going to be attending the Viva Las Vegas event in April and I know that I am not going to be able to walk around in my JF shoes as it will hurt too much, so I am hoping that a pair of the Remix Wedgies will end up being cute and comfortable. Thanks for any help that you ladies can supply.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Pixie- I have a couple pair of Remix shoes and I wear them all the time. I have the "Babydoll Pumps" in black and the "Rita" heels in luggage brown. The babydolls are the comfiest shoes I own. I can wear them all day without my feet getting tired and no wear and tear on my feet. The Rita's I've found difficult to walk in, but i'm not a slingback kind of girl. Other people may have different feelings on them. But I will say that neither of them are tall enough to make me feel like I'm wearing heels. They're the perfect height. And they break in very quickly. The leather is strong, but soft enough to shape to your foot.

pixie

Familiar Face
Cherry_Bombb said:
Pixie- I have a couple pair of Remix shoes and I wear them all the time. I have the "Babydoll Pumps" in black and the "Rita" heels in luggage brown. The babydolls are the comfiest shoes I own. I can wear them all day without my feet getting tired and no wear and tear on my feet. The Rita's I've found difficult to walk in, but i'm not a slingback kind of girl. Other people may have different feelings on them. But I will say that neither of them are tall enough to make me feel like I'm wearing heels. They're the perfect height. And they break in very quickly. The leather is strong, but soft enough to shape to your foot.

Thank you for the info, I think that I am going to try a pair of the wedgies first though, so have you ever tried any of those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo