Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cut'n'Shut Akubra Snowy River?

Duck

Practically Family
carter said:
Duck, Have you ever done this with a Resistol? I have one that I like the crown on but that flipped-up roll on the sides of the brim is crazy. Should I soak the brim, let it dry, then iron and trim it? What are the right steps in doing this?
I think this might make a nice fodora if I don't make a mess of it.
Hey Carter,
Check out this thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=22514
I used cold water on the crown and steam on the brim on this one, the brim was very flat, but I use cold water on brims that are bent.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Awful pics that don't show any real detail ... but they have been the first I've been able to post, :eusa_doh:
I made it a 2 3/4 snap brim pretty effectively. Tightened the pinch, but I couldn't mess with the rest of the crown much, as this was already as high as it would go (not much body to it). The brim still needs some micro-managing, as it has a few odd bumps and creases.
You can't see any flaws from more than about two feet away, but still if I know myself I will continue fiddling until either it is perfect or my bowstring breaks ...

l_a6fd90d93452d6fb63f9c503bd03fe3b.gif

l_b2237bca41200c841e6018518640564e.jpg

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Now I just need to decide whether to put a normal grosgrain on it, or leave it as is and allow myself to be "guilty by association" with the thin ribbon crowd ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Hamlet, Way to go!!! You did a great job. Concerning those little bumps you're still working on: just remember that perfectionism is a good thing, in moderation. (Personally, I'm in recovery) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Beautifully done! So thats what can be done with a Snowy River.
I realize there's only so much you can do with that short crown...but that brim looks great!:eusa_clap
Cheers
Colby Jack

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You've done a terrific job on that hat. I have a suggestion if you're looking at ribbon and bow change. As that last sentence was read several Loungers roll their eyes and groan. They know what I have in mind.:D

dean

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The thing I like about thin ribbons is that they are easy to put on. Most are tied with a slip knot. Just put it on and slide the knot till it fits. Then one tack stitch, to hold it in place. (I learned this the hard way, after having laid the hat crown down, on a rug, then grabbing it up without looking when I left. Only later did I discover the ribbon was missing. Thankfully, I still had a few others.)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I am always open to suggestions, Dean :)

I really like the color of the band it was given by Akubra (the light brown felt and dark leather work well) and I am actually thinking the thinner ribbon is good because of the lower crown. The front pinch starts relatively low and if I stuck an inch and a half ribbon and bow, it would start to crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany