Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CXL black overdyed steer?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
What is the exact name of the black steer leather Aero uses, that have that brownish base?

Aero's black steer and horsehide BOTH have an eventual brown base, like years and years dowm the road, but it will not wear nearly as quickly as the "tea core" or the Johnson Leathers steer seen in this thread. The Aero steer is just called their "heavy steerhide" I think. The Johnson steer, while being tanned from the same company (Horween), is tanned differently to achieve a different wear effect. I THINK!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Aero's black steer and horsehide BOTH have an eventual brown base, like years and years dowm the road, but it will not wear nearly as quickly as the "tea core" or the Johnson Leathers steer seen in this thread. The Aero steer is just called their "heavy steerhide" I think. The Johnson steer, while being tanned from the same company (Horween), is tanned differently to achieve a different wear effect. I THINK!

The most recent samples I got from Aero don't fit that description. The top coat is very, very thin and it only takes a little kneading and folding of the sample top turn it nearly brown. This is different than the older Aero samples I had which maintained their color much longer.

Personally, I don't like this new leather, if in fact it is characteristic of all Aero leathers now and ot may scare me off. I would rather earn the vintage look.

Anyone else notice this? Does Aero offer a version of the CXL horse or steer in black that is dyed black all the way through?

Very interesting Kronos!
I've had jackets in both Aero black FQHH and Black Horween Steer. After 10 or so years (definitely broken in) the wear was grey and not brown.
Thanks for letting us know about the new batch.

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Very interesting Kronos!
I've had jackets in both Aero black FQHH and Black Horween Steer. After 10 or so years (definitely broken in) the wear was grey and not brown.
Thanks for letting us know about the new batch.

Gey, brown, it is all the same to me. I am a bit color blind. Actually, I think it is more of a tan underneath the base coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24