Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dali 40s Tie...."Sonic Web"....How To Research?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salvador Dali

This thread is beautiful. I had heard of the ties but had never seen one. Now I want one! I have the perfume, though. Also the novel Hidden Faces, in hardcover. I saw the scissors used in the 'Spellbound' dream sequence on the Bicentennial museum train, does anyone remember the name of that train? And I have had pinned up on the door of my room for the last 20 years a picture of Salvador Dali at the age of four, adorable, from the book AS THEY WERE TOO, A COLLECTION OF CELEBRATED PEOPLE'S CHILDHOOD PHOTOS by Tuli Kupferberg, of all people.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I have sort of a connection to Dali.

Not ancestral or anything like that, but artistic.
He and I shared quite a few aesthetics and the surrealistic vision.
There was a very note-worthy Dali museum here in my area for many years, which I had the privilege of seeing several times when it was here.
The Morse collection. About a hundred original Dali works including some of his so-called super paintings. 20 by 30 feet or so of Dali madness right in front of me! :D
It has long since moved to St. Petersburg Florida, but if you are a true fan of Dali, by all means you must see it.
http://www.salvadordalimuseum.org/collection/collection_highlights.html

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
About a hundred original Dali works including some of his so-called super paintings. 20 by 30 feet or so of Dali madness right in front of me!

The National Gallery of Art here in DC has one of those--his The Sacrament of the Last Supper. It's amazing.

IN520Dali.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dorothy, sorry I'm coming in late on this thread but here goes. Dali in the late 40's early 50's did a series of designs for neckties that are EXTREMELY collectible. Ron Sparks is a great guy and one of the formost authorities on these. Another expert is Barry Friedman in NYC. He owns "Friedman Houck Galleries" and the last time I spoke to him he was up to 20K neckties and almost 400 Dali's. I don't have his number after my move but I'm sure he would love to talk to you about them. Dali , at last personal count, did about 75 different designs, all of which Barry owns. I still have a few in my collection but not this design. They range in price depending on color & condition from a low of $150 to a high of around $300. Now, I've been out of the vintage business for a few years but that's the last info I had on them.
Hope this helps.

Again, thank you thank you!!! I will pursue those mentioned and see if they have suggestions on what to do with this. I wish I had more mens stuff on my website so it was more of a draw for tie collectors and men in general, but its never been my strength (harder to find, harder to sell).....I'm also aware that many collectors are shying away from eBay so putting it there may backfire as well. I'm thrilled to have all the information I've already gleaned here, its this last decision thats the killer! Thank you all so much for your time and for sharing such fantastic information with me! Angela

panamag8or

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
This thread is beautiful. I had heard of the ties but had never seen one. Now I want one! I have the perfume, though. Also the novel Hidden Faces, in hardcover. I saw the scissors used in the 'Spellbound' dream sequence on the Bicentennial museum train, does anyone remember the name of that train? And I have had pinned up on the door of my room for the last 20 years a picture of Salvador Dali at the age of four, adorable, from the book AS THEY WERE TOO, A COLLECTION OF CELEBRATED PEOPLE'S CHILDHOOD PHOTOS by Tuli Kupferberg, of all people.

The Freedom Train. I still have my ticket stub.

Also, a +1 on the Dali Museum in St. Pete. It is truly amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy