Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dandy dandyorum

Alon

One of the Regulars
Introducing Ezio Pinza. One of the great opera singers of the 20th century. Obviously a man of style:

pinza.jpg

Alon

One of the Regulars
I like it - though I don't smoke - but I think it would take a lot for a man to pull that off today.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
The bow tie look just doesn't work on me. Depressing to see it fit so well on another gent (although I agree with you boys about the cigarette holder).

Richard

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Don't understand. I don't smoke cigarettes, and there are certainly lots of other ways to hold a cigarette in your hands or in your mouth, but in that picture, the holder fits perfectly as it is.

What's your objection? Too feminine for yer taste?

carter

I'll Lock Up
A lengthy affair

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Don't understand. I don't smoke cigarettes, and there are certainly lots of other ways to hold a cigarette in your hands or in your mouth, but in that picture, the holder fits perfectly as it is.

What's your objection? Too feminine for yer taste?

I think that cigarette holder needs a moderne cigarette. How 'bout an Ultralite 100 ?

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Perfection

Personally, I think he looks perfect in every way. The cigarette and holder were absolutely in style FDR did the same thing, and in fact dressed very similarly to the Maestro. These guys knew how to dress, and much more importantly had FUN doing it. We have lost both a sense and appreciation for style, and the fun in dressing.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
carter said:
I think that cigarette holder needs a moderne cigarette. How 'bout an Ultralite 100 ?

Generally, you don't use a cigarette with filter when using a cigarette holder. And, in the 30's and 40's, I don't think there was such a thing as cigarettes with a filter, except maybe the cork tip cigarettes. I've forgotten who made those, maybe Benson and Hedges. Mostly, everyone smoked Camels, Lucky Strike, Chesterfield, maybe Raleighs. There were a few more lessor known brands. Also, those cigarettes where much shorter than the filtered cigarettes of today.

Bill

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Also note the bow tie. The bow tie really peaked in the late 40's. The pix of him in South Pacific show a bow tie. He died of a stroke just before his 65th birthday. Some say the that strain of doing South Pacific for almost 5 years helped hasten his death. He LOVED the stardom that Broadway brought to him. He even hosted a TV show for a while. This was still the era when opera stars were also big popular stars as well.
The Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezio_Pinza shows this shot with a slightly wider view. London?
He had a sister, Sefati. (Get it? Sefati Pinza? Aww, forget it.)
"Knock, knock."
"Who's there?"
"Sam and Janet."
"Sam and Janet who?"
"Sam and Janet evening!"
Okay, I'll just show myself out. Bye, now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart