Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dave Dawson at Truk

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Bowen, R. Sidney. (1946). Dave Dawson at Truk (1st ed.). Crown Publishers, New York.

Just arrived today. I now have the full set of these books . I was buying them used from the local Woodworth's for nickels and dimes when I was in grade school (1950s). Used to read them with a flashlight under the covers at night after I went to bed. Dave Dawson and his English pal, Freddy Farmer, flying against the Nazis and the Nipponese (I think this is a politically correct term, still) and saving the world from tyrants. Oh, the thrill!

This is the 15th and final book in a series of other books like Dave Dawson with the Flying Tigers, Dave Dawson on the Russian Front and Dave Dawson on Convoy Patrol. They were targeted to adolescents and written by a guy with a fairly colorful history of his own. This book is not easily found today and was somewhat expensive but that's OK 'cause I have the whole collection now. Maybe I can search further and find covers for the ones that don't have them.

I have all my books from when I was young. One I am fond of is a hardbound copy I found some years ago of my well worn and frayed copy of Serenade to the Big Bird by Bert Stiles. Even has a photo of him inside.

Anybody out there familiar with Dave and Freddy?

DaveDawsonTruk_zps1a088944.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo