Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

day / evening make up

Smuterella

One Too Many
I was just wondering what the differences were between your daytime and evening vintage make up looks.

I find mine are VERY similar, almost boringly so, and am looking for some ideas to make me feel more glammed up on a night out.

All tips, tricks and notions welcome!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
For evenings I just tend to use eyeliner and turn up the colors (stronger eyeshadow, more rouge etc.)

To add something even more dramatic, if I'm in the mood for it, I put glitter or glue tiny rhinestones on to my face (on outer corner of the eyes or cheekbones).

Another great drama-inducing thing is to create a faux beauty mark, either just draw it on or even better, glue tiny pieces of velvet on to your face.

And what about false eyelashes? I have not yet managed to put them on successfully, but that would be a great way to add something extra.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I don't really have seperate day and night makeup styles. I have it how I feel like having it.
But I suppose alot of people have lighter and less during the day, darker and more exaggerated at night.
Maybe if you only wear eyeliner and mascara during the day, at night add some medium/dark eyeshadow etc.

Inky

One Too Many
for my daytime look I use a pale shadow and brown liner, very thin, and a natural mascara (like the Besame 1930's or L'Oreal Bare and Natural). Light rouge and red lips, sometimes just as a stain. groomed brows with brow powder. foundation and powder of course, i'm too old to go without that now.

at night I add a color shadow (I like the plum and the green from Besame right now, or a brown I have from Benefit), black liner, just a bit thicker on the edge, thicker mascara (dior show or something like that) and false lashes (just on the edges, I use half lashes or cut regular lashes in half). darker brows, more rouge, well-defined and lined lips (a la Miss Crawford). I use a heavier hand at night, because generally we are going dancing so it's dark in the dance hall.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I'm one of those people who wear false lashes during the day because I love the way it looks (plus I want to feel glamorous all day long)! But I usually use a light white or cream colored shadow for day and I'll add color at night, like a plum purple or a charcol gray. Also during the day I use a brown eyeliner on my lower lids just to get a little definition, but I might go for a dark gray liner at night. Like the other ladies said, I'll also amp up my rouge a bit and make my top eyeliner thicker.

Here's a shot of my day-to-day make up with the false lashes.

blue3.jpg

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I usually save the darker or shimmery lipsticks for evening, same goes for colored eyeshadows. For day I wear the same eyeliner and mascara as I do for going out, and a rose-taupey lipcolor.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
The only time I'll ever really wear eyeliner and lipstick together is at night. But that happens very rarely. It's just too strong of a look on me, I think. If I wear eyeliner I'll usually just wear lipgloss.

It's red almost everyday and night for me, with the exception of sometimes in the daytime I'll wear the coral pink I have on in my picture. I also usually wear Besame's "Shimmer Beige" eyeshadow because it's so subtle and pretty.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm braver when it comes to colors for daywear and my evening make-up is very conservative because when we go out it's usually for company dinners where conservatism or understated styles are most appropriate.

I've been wearing bright and shimmery shadows with bright or black liquid liners for a couple of years during the day. This Winter I've actually been very conservative and worn mainly browns, golds and greys with black liquid liner because I have so many of them but they're all shimmery. I'm sick of shimmer!

We don't go out much so I generally need to focus on daytime make-up and only keep the most essential for evening use.

3 layers of mascara for day wear. 5 layers of mascara for evening wear. If you have short, sparse, coarse, straight lashes; you can never wear too much mascara!

I won't buy any new make-up this year. I just want to use up most of what I have and start over next year with new but simpler make-up from better brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy