Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Debating the Idea That a '100' Was a $100 hat

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Screen%252520shot%2525202011-08-31%252520at%2525203.43.49%252520PM.png

HatsEnough

Banned
No tags with metric in the 60's for Stetson's in the USA and no 10x's until after factory shutdown in 70's.

Now that is the info I needed.

So, the $1000 price was not the price as maintained when Stetson was a Stetson.

See, this was the missing gap that I needed to know.

Thanks RLK, you are always a fount of info!

HatsEnough

Banned
Ignoring data because you can't even read it isn't good debate form either.

Oh, brother. Give it a rest.

Again, I said specifically that I wanted folks to offer better evidence so that I could either confirm or correct my thoughts on this. I said that right in the first post. I also said that I was not saying that my theory had to be correct. I was specifically asking for help to suss this out.

That has been done by RLK without the snide comments and faux hurt feelings.

It is possible to have a discussion where someone doubts info without it being somehow a series of name calling. Adults can do this.

I hope Lefty can come in and offer even more info, but if not, I am satisfied that Stetson did, indeed, keep their 100 at $100 until they sold their brand name.

This does not tell me what others like Churchill did, though. It also does not change the fact that my Stetson 10X has a price tag of over $1,000.

Now, here is the next question: did the Stetson 100 stop after Stetson sold off its brand name? So, no more Stetson 100s in the mid 70s and later? That would also help me understand the pricing structure better.

scaled.php

Last edited:

SteveAS

Practically Family
This does not tell me what others like Churchill did, though. It also does not change the fact that my Stetson 10X has a price tag of over $1,000.

Would you post pictures of the interior and price tag of your 10X, please. This seems to be an anomaly. I wonder if the hat was sold in another country whose currency is called dollar, but whose dollars were less valuable than US dollars?

HatsEnough

Banned
I would be cautious about the relationship of the price ticket to the hat.

Now that might also be an interesting angle. Why would you question it? Would this not be a real price tag? Where would it have come from?

Now, I thought I had seen these exact sort of tags before in Stetsons, though.

This is really helping drill this down, guys. Thanks

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I remember looking at this hat for a long period of time.

At one point, the lady selling it had it on Craig's List for $150, then the price went up to $250, which became her starting (and ending) bid on eBay. I came close to buying from the original Craig's List ad, but the lady disappeared for a month or two. I don't recall the hat being in the nice Stetson 100 case at first, she must have come across that later which would explain the price hike.

How do you like the hat, Hats? Is the felt and the build quality much the same as the other Open Road style hats you have?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A Stetson 25 cost %25. A 7x Clear beaver/ Stetson 50 cost $50. A Stetson 100 Cost $100. A Stetson 150 cost $150. The earlier ones were better, the later ones were good, but not nearly as good. They maintained the price point, and either dropped the quality, dropped their profits, or both. Ads confirm these prices and models.

As for the $1050, I have seen price tags like these for the per-dozen wholesale cost, which are sometimes left in hats, especially on deadstock.

SteveAS

Practically Family
The Stetson Dating thread suggests size tags with metric sizes likely first showed up in the 1990s.

It identifies this as a 1980s hat:

IMG_4313.jpg

It identifies this as a late 1990s hat:

_1269363097890.jpg

If the 10X hat isn't from the 1960s as the thread originator claimed, it seems to be less of a mystery.

Any stickers behind the liner or markings on the back of the sweatband?
You could have a restored 100 that they used a 10X sweatband because they couldn't source a 100 anymore but not sure the size tag would be there...

UPDATE: I do have a 7X CB that has a sweat marked on the back side that it is a replacement & it had a size tag as well....

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
How do you like the hat? Is the felt and the build quality much the same as the other Open Road style hats you have?

The 10X is a tad stiff compared to earlier 100s and 7Xers I have, however, the felt has a very, very nice feel to it. The fit is good for me, too. I actually find this hat to be far superior to the 7X I had of the same era. In fact, that 7X (which I've since gotten rid of) didn't seem like anything special at all. But this 10X is a very nice hat. I like it quite a lot.

But, the truth is, I bought the piece because it had a full case and the works with it. I bought it less for the hat than the whole package. I am just happy the hat is impressing me more than I expected it to.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Just to throw my two cents in, though no one has yet asked, Hat Corporation of America's 100s were always $100, meaning all Dobbs, Knox, and Cavanagh 100s were $100.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The 10X is a tad stiff compared to earlier 100s and 7Xers I have, however, the felt has a very, very nice feel to it. The fit is good for me, too. I actually find this hat to be far superior to the 7X I had of the same era. In fact, that 7X (which I've since gotten rid of) didn't seem like anything special at all. But this 10X is a very nice hat. I like it quite a lot.

Hmm, I wondered if it was that stiffer western type felt - it was hard to tell from the pictures.

Glad you like it, the fact that it came with the S100 case, complete with the plastic inserts made it a sweet deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24