Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent A2

TrainDriver

New in Town
Hello folks. I’m looking for a “decent” A2. I would love an Eastman or Aero, but man, I just can’t justify 1000-1200 for a jacket. Heck, it’s hard to justify 600-800 price range I’m considering.

Although I like the historical reproductions of ELC and Aero, I’m don’t really need to have the knowledge that my jacket is exactly like Jimmy Doolittle’s. I am concerned with having a jacket with good leather and good build quality.

My first leather jacket was a U.S. Wings Indy type jacket. It was $389, but I believe it was $385 worth of leather, and $4 worth of thread and build quality. The threads are fraying coming loose in multiple places. Just seems shoddy craftsmanship.

I am considering a Cockpit USA government issue A2. I know it will not be an exact replica, with Talon zippers and epaulets placed exactly where Suzy seamstress placed them in 1940. I just want it to be good leather and quality craftsmanship. Does anyone have a Cockpit A2 with pics?

What is the general opinion of Cockpit? What is the general opinion of that 600-800$ range? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Aero regularly have there „Quatermaster sales“ where they offer A2‘s as stock jackets. Don’t know about prices these days, but I once got a more than „decent“ jacket for under GBP 400.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Hello folks. I’m looking for a “decent” A2. I would love an Eastman or Aero, but man, I just can’t justify 1000-1200 for a jacket. Heck, it’s hard to justify 600-800 price range I’m considering.

Although I like the historical reproductions of ELC and Aero, I’m don’t really need to have the knowledge that my jacket is exactly like Jimmy Doolittle’s. I am concerned with having a jacket with good leather and good build quality.

My first leather jacket was a U.S. Wings Indy type jacket. It was $389, but I believe it was $385 worth of leather, and $4 worth of thread and build quality. The threads are fraying coming loose in multiple places. Just seems shoddy craftsmanship.

I am considering a Cockpit USA government issue A2. I know it will not be an exact replica, with Talon zippers and epaulets placed exactly where Suzy seamstress placed them in 1940. I just want it to be good leather and quality craftsmanship. Does anyone have a Cockpit A2 with pics?

What is the general opinion of Cockpit? What is the general opinion of that 600-800$ range? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
I own a Cockpit A-2, one of these more civilian versions with handwarmers hidden behind the patch pockets. I have worn it for a season or two and quite liked it. Very comfortable, leather is not very interesting but a workhorse that still looks like new except a few tiny nicks in the finish. I would pick the Cockpit long before an Aero and I also own an Aero A-2 which I will sell at first convienance - at a garantued hefty loss.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
A2s are tough. Lotta different patterns each favoring a different body type. Go used for sure. Less Depreciation if the cut doesn’t work for you.

There are a lot of old LL Bean A2s on ebay for around $100. I've read the numbered sizes are better than the S/M/L ones.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can’t speak to the Cockpit A2’s but I did own one of their G-1’s. It was a well made jacket and fairly close to the Mil. Spec.it was imitating.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
There are a lot of old LL Bean A2s on ebay for around $100. I've read the numbered sizes are better than the S/M/L ones.
Honestly, this may be one of your best options. I've personally handled several back in the '90's and early 2000's that were Goatskin and seemed of good quality overall. Many were Made in US too.

Here's a "48R" without it's LL-Bean tags and some wear, but nice chunky Talon zippers for $39.99 starting bid:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266358373741?

And a pretty decent 42L for $223 BIN or best offer in nicer shape:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/145229035618?

And a really nice 46 with a free hat that's in-between those two prices...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126038025304?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
A2 jacket fits are all over the place depending on contract. I have three different used ones and all size 42 and they fit so differently. I think used A2 makes a lot of sense. Even spending Knit repair cost will be worth it if the contract fits well. Used ones starts at about 150 to 200. Just wait and look for them.

TrainDriver

New in Town
I appreciate the responses so far. I’ve considered a used Aero or ELC jacket off eBay, but 46-48s seem difficult to find. When I do find one, it’s got patches or nose art. I’m not looking for patches and nose art.

Not to discount your recommendations, but I don’t think I want something that’s already 15-20 years old and already vintage like the LL Beans.

I’m leaning more towards new or EXTREMELY gently used. Frankly, I want the patina and scuffs and nicks to be mine.

CatsCan

Practically Family
I have one of those old LL Bean ones. It's the old one with number size, Made in USA from goat skin and a one piece back. I like it very much, although slightly oversized (arm length and torso). It is a very good looking and well made jacket. But I am actually more the vintage guy, I don't like leather jackets on me when brand new and it takes too long for me to have them in the well worn look I like. This one is a bit - uhm - weird, as it has some "artwork" and an "AAF Patch" despite beeing a civilian type with hand warmer pockets behind the patch pockets.. I paid 100 € for it. So.. this jacket is everything you don't want.

bean 1 (2).jpg

Attachments

• bean2 (2).jpg
    bean2 (2).jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 37
  • bean3.jpg
    bean3.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

TrainDriver

New in Town
I own a Cockpit A-2, one of these more civilian versions with handwarmers hidden behind the patch pockets. I have worn it for a season or two and quite liked it. Very comfortable, leather is not very interesting but a workhorse that still looks like new except a few tiny nicks in the finish. I would pick the Cockpit long before an Aero and I also own an Aero A-2 which I will sell at first convienance - at a garantued hefty loss.
I think I have the same one. I believe they call it the 21st Century A2. I haven’t really had much of an opportunity to wear it much. I think I went a size small, but it’s not to the point where wearing it is impossible or uncomfortable. I was a bit disappointed in the color however. My eyes can’t tell the difference between whatever Cockpit calls it and black. Looks black to me, and other than socks, I have exactly 1 article of black clothing - that jacket. I’m not a big fan of black clothes, but I seem to see other folks wearing it, so it’s not like I’ll be making either a wild fashion statement or faux pas.

CatsCan

Practically Family
You could have a look at AVI Leather. They are a Company in Denmark making very good but affordable A2s. Their Bronco A-2 is brown goat skin. They have horse hide options as well. I have heard very good things about their products. The Danes are very good in tailoring and designing for a very good fit. The jackets are not made in the US though, if this is something that bothers you.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Aero's Quartermaster collection is what you should go for. £400 for an excellent A-2. Ken has even mentioned that if you're hoping for a particular thing you can ask them and they can try to queue it up.

There's a 46 available now.

Yes - especially if they've had a run of new apprentices trained up. I bought my Highwayman as part of a run of those Ken oversaw in 2012; one minor double-stitch on one cuff (which I'd not even have spotted, in truth) the only difference. Apprentice jackets tend to be steer in my experience - not the CXL heavy stuff, but a nice, midweight, around the same thickness as CXL FQHH. Very nice, wearable leather. Not sure if that's the case with the AM A2s as well, but of course as Gary Eastman's research revealed, steer was far from unknown for wartime A2 production, contrary to previous belief.

I sold on my A2s (had both a used ELC horse and a used Aero goat. Markedly preferred the Aero, tbh, but needed a bigger size). Eventually I'd quite fancy another Aero goat, perhaps in russet with the toffee/tan coloured knits, and a BPRD logo (From Hellboy) done like a WW2 squadron patch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner