Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

decent yahting caps?

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I haven't looked into it myself, but you might try some of the places that specialize in reproduction uniforms, since they make quality military caps. What Price Glory is one that comes to mind, but there are several vendors who specialize in that field and imagine one of their naval caps would do well for yachting purposes, perhaps with a change of insignia.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might want to take a look at Saint James Boutique. They're a Breton company that makes beautiful traditional sailing clothing. In particular, they make those black or navy captain's hats with visors that you see in the British WWII films. Personally, I find them much cooler than the white, black, and gold type sported by, say, Thurston Howell on Gilligan's Island.

You might want to take a look at Saint James Boutique. They're a Breton company that makes beautiful traditional sailing clothing. In particular, they make those black or navy captain's hats with visors that you see in the British WWII films. Personally, I find them much cooler than the white, black, and gold type sported by, say, Thurston Howell on Gilligan's Island.
jim-b-gill-island_thumb.jpg

No one pulls the wool over my eyes! Cashmere maybe but never wool!:p

Cheviot

New in Town
Thanks all. The yachting caps used on Gilligan's island were made by Lancaster Hat Company. All the places i've found no longer stitch the goldwork directly to the cover, as was done classically, but use an applied patch. I may have to go vintage for this to get the right look.

Cheviot

New in Town
I saw them. I'm looking for a navy cap but really don't like the look of the applied patch on Midway's hats. Still, it looks like I'm going to have to compromise.

Cheviot

New in Town
Hmm. Yachting hats appear to be just a standard US military peaked cap with the stiffening frame removed, ala the 50 mission crush cap from the Army Air Corps. If that's correct this will wind up being a lot easier than I hoped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy