Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding where to draw the line

Great hat. For me, it would be the Fed; the one thing I wish I could add to the Fed per standard design would probably be a wind trolley. My dream on that front would be if Akubra did - maybe for a small upcharge - a custom option for the Fed where you could have options of a different colour ribbon and brim binding. I could see buying more than one of each colour body then. Mid brown with olive green ribbon and binding, Carbon grey with navy, moonstone with oxblood..... oh, my [/George Takei voice]
For me it would be the Fed IV in Whiskey colored felt. Akubra's Tawny Fawn is close, but not close enough for me. I really don't care for wind trolleys and can do without brim binding on the Fed. I also wish Akubra hadn't discontinued the Hampton in Federation Navy (blue) before I could get one, but c'est la vie. Maybe they'll bring it back someday.

Edward

Bartender
For me it would be the Fed IV in Whiskey colored felt. Akubra's Tawny Fawn is close, but not close enough for me. I really don't care for wind trolleys and can do without brim binding on the Fed. I also wish Akubra hadn't discontinued the Hampton in Federation Navy (blue) before I could get one, but c'est la vie. Maybe they'll bring it back someday.

If Akubra could offer all of these options via Hats Direct for a small upcharge, I'd be well in. Maybe if fedoras make a big comeback in mainstream fashion.... Stranger things have happened - back in the eighties, I never believed anyone would be conned into wearing flares again...

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
Same for me, except it is golf clubs and bass boats I avoid!

I've done the boat thing. A hole in the water that you try to fill with cash. It was fun, but I don't miss it. I could have probably bought a house with what that thing cost me over the years. Golf clubs were a near miss for me. I did get some, and give it a whirl, but never got bitten by the bug on that one.

Well, the oiling of the nubuck safari evened out a lot better after a while, but it still feels wet to the touch. I think this will take a fair while to dry/cure. I'm tempted to wrap it up in kitchen towel to try to draw out any excess. Its cotton sibling has been serving very well in the recent miserable weather though. I think these four cotton hats (two sun hats, one rain hat, and one all weather) plus the nubuck and flat caps, will serve me very well till the cold weather comes again. I haven't even been tempted to reach to the top of the wardrobe for the wool and fur felts, despite the recent cool spell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner