Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deco Deliveries

af65f1b596fb5441baa88be11a7a2f36.jpg

3fingers

One Too Many
When I was a wee lad I had a book that had a lot of illustrations of what the future held. Bubble top automobiles, many of which would be able to fly were prominently featured. Apparently they are in the same place as the jet pack I am still waiting for.

3fingers

One Too Many
As cool as the bubble tops might be, they were never feasible anyplace where it gets warm. The air conditioning system would need to be the same size as the engine. If you have ever ridden in a glass top Crown Victoria on a summer afternoon you have an idea of the difficulty. It's a terrarium in there. I'm not sure even with the better tinting and materials available now if it is really doable.

As cool as the bubble tops might be, they were never feasible anyplace where it gets warm. The air conditioning system would need to be the same size as the engine. If you have ever ridden in a glass top Crown Victoria on a summer afternoon you have an idea of the difficulty. It's a terrarium in there. I'm not sure even with the better tinting and materials available now if it is really doable.
The engineers, designers, & futurists all failed to see the need for 4 to 6 cup holders in anything that transports a human being today. I could overlook the lack of folding armrests & a console but this lawnmower would never sell in today's market without a cup holder for a BIG GULP from QT.

Some of those same designers hit a home run with the square whiskey bottle, but can you imagine driving anything with no cup holders & a beer bottle between your legs?

3fingers

One Too Many
but can you imagine driving anything with no cup holders & a beer bottle between your legs?
I dunno. I survived my younger years OK. I don't know how many miles of backroads I drove back then in exactly that scenario. I just didn't realize yet what a hardship it was.
The ignorance of yute.

No, no vases in any of mine (I've owned three). Or air conditioning. Or cup holders. Or any of the other modern automotive conveniences we take for granted these days. But they were fun to drive as long as you weren't in a big hurry to get where you were going. ;)
I didn't know how far back the vases went in the beetle. First time I saw one I thought it was a shot glass, not a vase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto