Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delon's hat in Le Samourai

huysmans

New in Town
This is totally true, there is only one Delon for sure! However, I am confident that I am badarse enough to pull it off, even a 1/4 as cool is still pretty damn cool.

Most excellent and insightful observation, Feraud. No amount of screen-accurate costuming will ever make an Indiana Jones of your run-of-the-mill Wisconsin Schmidt.

This is not to say there is anything to fault in searching for a hat just like the one the seeker liked so much -- the hat that just happened to appear on a favorite character in a movie.

Still, a guy would be wise not to appear costumed (as opposed to thoughtfully dressed). We have a bias in this culture against men who appear to pay what might be deemed an inordinate amount of attention to their appearance, no matter the particular style they are projecting. (Sometimes I wonder if the guy in the purple mohawk and the fellow in the $4,000 suit might have more in common than either would care to admit.)

In the end, it always gets back to our old maxim -- wear the hat, don't let the hat wear you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
Walk in and see their selection in person.
Yep, that was my point. The OP being situated in the proximity of several decent hat shops should preclude the necessity of buying off the net.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, huysmans.

These specs should get you a hat looking proportionally close to Delon's:

5 1/2" or 5 5/8" open crown, hand-creased into a C-crown. Could possibly go with 5 3/4" to make a deeper trench around the C-crown.

2" ribbon. Delon's may actually be 2 1/8", maybe even 2 1/4", but that's going to be much harder to find.

Brim width of 2 1/4" or 2 3/8". Could even go with 2 1/2" if you like, but no wider.

That should help when shopping online.

Brad

huysmans

New in Town
Tomasso said:
Yep, that was my point. The OP being situated in the proximity of several decent hat shops should preclude the necessity of buying off the net.

the OP is rather strapped for time and wishes he could get out to hat shops (or anywhere for that matter!) more often! :(

I appreciate all the help I am getting here though and hopefully with the knowledge acquired I can find what I am looking for, in real life or in intranet la la land.

huysmans

New in Town
Brad Bowers said:

5 1/2" or 5 5/8" open crown, hand-creased into a C-crown. Could possibly go with 5 3/4" to make a deeper trench around the C-crown.

2" ribbon. Delon's may actually be 2 1/8", maybe even 2 1/4", but that's going to be much harder to find.

Brim width of 2 1/4" or 2 3/8". Could even go with 2 1/2" if you like, but no wider.

Brad

Thanks!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

I'm aware of the fact that this is an old thread, but the topic can't be dead yet. I saw parts of this film before, and I have to admit, that's one sharp looking grey fedora. I have to ask, though, which modern production hat (Akubra, Stetson, etc) most closely approximates these specifications? I know that it's possible to create a look-alike through going custom, but that's too expensive for me. Could an Akubra Federation in moonstone, for instance, work as a close-looking fedora to that of Delon's in Le Samourai?

donnc

One of the Regulars
J B said:
Could an Akubra Federation in moonstone, for instance, work as a close-looking fedora to that of Delon's in Le Samourai?

Not to my eye. Too wide brim, too narrow ribbon, and I think the brim might be a little too flat even if you were to hack it down to size.

Curious that wide ribbons are so scarce among current hats. I have a couple hats with 2 inch ribbons, both of them of fairly recent manufacture - a Resistol sort of trilby and a Beaver homburg - but don't see much out there right now, in a plain fedora style. Closest style was a hat Miller calls "Frank Sinatra Dress Hat."

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I hope you people realize that by dredging up a two year old post you just forced me to order another hat (a stetson nostalgia from sterling leather). I hope you're pleased with yourselves.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright guys, I think I may well have the Le Samourai look down with my Stetson hat I bought back in October. It was a homburg, but I trimmed the brim to around 2 1/8 inches all around, and re-creased it to more resemble the one of the film. Anyway, going off the silhouette of the poster, I think I've finally got the hat to resemble it closely enough:

B000AQKUG8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Photoon2011-03-11at22242.jpg

Not 100% accurate, probably more like 80%, but I think the general look fits the bill for what I was going for with this hat. I think this project was a success, even if the proportions, and the ribbon are not completely identical.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
It took a long time to find, but several photos show the top of this hat and it is a simple telescope to lower the high crown. Why? No idea, but that is what they did.

Looks to me as though it is simply a deeply telescoped Stetsonian with the wider band - Silverbelly color. Push the center in so that the back is a bit deeper than the front. Use a piece of rope of the desired diameter around the crease to give the desired effect. Even up the crease and give it some slight side dents.

Here is a brown version with the correct width hat band:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/fur-felt/451139-127909/stetsonian-open-crown-fedora-hat.html

I am not sure what other vendors might have a closer color, but this should not be that hard to solve.

On the other hand there is also the custom route:
http://falconparkhattery.com/FPH/Spec_Hats_for_Sale.html

http://alaindelon.tumblr.com/image/607225619

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy