Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dented CXL and P613S Patina/Break-In Update

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Hi Guys - I'm looking for experience/advice about repairing a dent in my jacket.

I was caught in a heavy, un-forecasted rainstorm while riding home from a camping trip last weekend. After several hours in the rain, it's safe to say my jacket was rather wet (as well as the rest of my gear). When I finally passed the storm and re-entered the sunlight, I stopped at a "scenic overlook" to rest my weary bones (anyone who has traveled on a bike will know the fatigue associated with long trips, especially in the rain). After a short nap on a picnic table, I carried on my way.

The next day, while cleaning the insect remnants off my jacket, I noticed an odd dent on the back panel around my left shoulderblade. I'm guessing there was a pebble (or something) on the picnic table where I slept, digging into the wet leather for a good half hour or so, only to dry in the sun later.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with dents in leather like this, and any suggestions for how repair or lessen the severity. I dampened it a bit and attempted to press the dent outward, then rubbed the area somewhat aggressively to flatten it out. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but it's still noticeable. It's really not the end of the world, as the jacket has seen a lot of mileage and is by no means perfect, but it's just noticeable enough to bug me a bit.
I'm including pictures of the dent.

While I'm at it, I took some shots of the jacket's aging/patina/general development since purchasing in 2019. I am amazed by how difficult it is to capture the leather's nuance on camera, both in and out of the sunlight. Granted, my cell phone is old and poor quality. The leather really has a lot of character now, but it doesn't translate well to photos. It's lightened as expected along all edges, and darkened in others. The black hardware has lost much of its color, revealing the base metal underneath. Grain has really come in here and there as well, especially on the back panel and sleeves (of course).

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom.

P613S.Shade.Front.jpeg
IMG_4191.JPG

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

IMG_4230.jpg
P613S.Shade.Left.Sleeve.jpeg
P613S.Sunlight.Belt.jpeg

P613S.Sunlight.Lapel.jpeg
P613S.Sunlight.Front.jpeg

P613S.Sunlight.Left.Sleeve.jpeg

Peacoat

Bartender
First of all, that wouldn't bother me, but it obviously bothers you. First, I would thoroughly saturate the spot, then work it as you did before. Repeat a few times.

If the spot is still there, and it is still bothersome, then, when I put my jacket on, I wouldn't turn around and look at it in the mirror. Out of sight, out of mind. Problem solved.

Seriously, though, I have 15 or so leather jackets. The 3 or 4 I have used for riding all have defects of one sort or another. I don't expect them to remain pristine. They are working jackets, and I expect them to get dinged.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Sweet jacket. As Peacoat said, get the spot thoroughly wet, and work it with your fingers a bit. You can place a book on it while it dries to flatten it. Should take care of it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great mahogany color. Horween has magical hands at finishing.

About the dent, don't worry about it. Just keep wearing.

I have some jackets that has the similar dent/imprint. I used to think they're formed by wear and tear but I have some jackets that just hangs in the closet and still shows something after a while just hanging in the closet. I believe these are just natural marking in the skin. And when the leather is tanned they're usually rubbed out at the factory but over time they do come back. Some are dimples, some are cluster of smaller dimples, and some are just lines. The tannery can apply oil/wax/heat/stretch to smooth leather out, but we can't really do that at home, so just rock it and keep wearing. Killer jacket. I am also looking at a Schott jacket done in the Horween leather. Good choice.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m not overly concerned about it, honestly. I don’t mind battle scars. Scrapes, stretching, discoloration, etc. is all par for the course. This particular indent just struck me as a tad more bothersome, probably because it affects the drape of the back somewhat. That being said, it’s all part of the story the jacket tells over time. I think I'll try some of the suggestions provided here and accept whatever the outcome. It's a utilitarian jacket first and foremost, and a great one at that.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
First of all, that wouldn't bother me, but it obviously bothers you. First, I would thoroughly saturate the spot, then work it as you did before. Repeat a few times.

If the spot is still there, and it is still bothersome, then, when I put my jacket on, I wouldn't turn around and look at it in the mirror. Out of sight, out of mind. Problem solved.

Seriously, though, I have 15 or so leather jackets. The 3 or 4 I have used for riding all have defects of one sort or another. I don't expect them to remain pristine. They are working jackets, and I expect them to get dinged.
Out of sight, out of mind is sound advice for many of life's woes. :)

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Sweet jacket. As Peacoat said, get the spot thoroughly wet, and work it with your fingers a bit. You can place a book on it while it dries to flatten it. Should take care of it.
I considered the book option too. I will have to use one from the library so it's safely covered in plastic to prevent water damage to the book.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Great mahogany color. Horween has magical hands at finishing.

About the dent, don't worry about it. Just keep wearing.

I have some jackets that has the similar dent/imprint. I used to think they're formed by wear and tear but I have some jackets that just hangs in the closet and still shows something after a while just hanging in the closet. I believe these are just natural marking in the skin. And when the leather is tanned they're usually rubbed out at the factory but over time they do come back. Some are dimples, some are cluster of smaller dimples, and some are just lines. The tannery can apply oil/wax/heat/stretch to smooth leather out, but we can't really do that at home, so just rock it and keep wearing. Killer jacket. I am also looking at a Schott jacket done in the Horween leather. Good choice.
Thanks! Horween does indeed have magical hands at finishing.

I know what you mean about some hides having natural markings on the skin, especially with full grain leather. This jacket had plenty of that right from the factory. Having owned and worn it as long as I have, this particular dent was very obviously damage that had just happened. I should have taken some photos of it before I rubbed most of it out. It was pretty startling. Like a crater. But as you and others have said, I won't stress it. If it doesn't rub out with a bit more effort, I'll still wear and love the jacket with pride.

Which model Schott are you considering?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Get a shovel full of pea gravel and spread it out over a cement floor, sidewalk, or your driveway. Soak the jacket again, and then lay down on the pea gravel. This will be uncomfortable, but you're a tough leather jacket wearer, so not really a problem. Do this for as long as you can stand to, at least a good couple of hours. Radio + ballgame, sunglasses, a pillow, and some snacks will help. If anyone asks, tell them whatever made up story you can think of.

After 4-6 hours of this, flip over and do the front. Then stick the jacket in your dryer, no heat setting, and tumble for another hour. Pit on a mannequin or dress form, and allow to dry the rest of the way over the next day with fans blowing cool air over it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Horween does indeed have magical hands at finishing.

I know what you mean about some hides having natural markings on the skin, especially with full grain leather. This jacket had plenty of that right from the factory. Having owned and worn it as long as I have, this particular dent was very obviously damage that had just happened. I should have taken some photos of it before I rubbed most of it out. It was pretty startling. Like a crater. But as you and others have said, I won't stress it. If it doesn't rub out with a bit more effort, I'll still wear and love the jacket with pride.

Which model Schott are you considering?
I was looking at an older jacket, a D pocket made in Horween cowhide leather.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Hi Guys - I'm looking for experience/advice about repairing a dent in my jacket.

I was caught in a heavy, un-forecasted rainstorm while riding home from a camping trip last weekend. After several hours in the rain, it's safe to say my jacket was rather wet (as well as the rest of my gear). When I finally passed the storm and re-entered the sunlight, I stopped at a "scenic overlook" to rest my weary bones (anyone who has traveled on a bike will know the fatigue associated with long trips, especially in the rain). After a short nap on a picnic table, I carried on my way.

The next day, while cleaning the insect remnants off my jacket, I noticed an odd dent on the back panel around my left shoulderblade. I'm guessing there was a pebble (or something) on the picnic table where I slept, digging into the wet leather for a good half hour or so, only to dry in the sun later.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with dents in leather like this, and any suggestions for how repair or lessen the severity. I dampened it a bit and attempted to press the dent outward, then rubbed the area somewhat aggressively to flatten it out. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but it's still noticeable. It's really not the end of the world, as the jacket has seen a lot of mileage and is by no means perfect, but it's just noticeable enough to bug me a bit.
I'm including pictures of the dent.

While I'm at it, I took some shots of the jacket's aging/patina/general development since purchasing in 2019. I am amazed by how difficult it is to capture the leather's nuance on camera, both in and out of the sunlight. Granted, my cell phone is old and poor quality. The leather really has a lot of character now, but it doesn't translate well to photos. It's lightened as expected along all edges, and darkened in others. The black hardware has lost much of its color, revealing the base metal underneath. Grain has really come in here and there as well, especially on the back panel and sleeves (of course).

Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom.

View attachment 550209 View attachment 550213
View attachment 550215
View attachment 550214
View attachment 550216 View attachment 550217 View attachment 550218
View attachment 550219 View attachment 550220
View attachment 550221
Massage it like a sore shoulder with oils I use or Pecards and neets foot oil . Maybe put it near a radiator with a brick on it while the oils absorb and then massage some more !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner