Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denver hat shopping

Daniel

Familiar Face
Hi Fred,

I'm in Denver but don't know of any hat shops that carry quality stuff. Along South Broadway and Lincoln (South of Alameda, if you look at a map) are a lot of antique stores. They'll occasionally have hats, but it's tough finding anything smaller than a size 7. These stores go in-and-out of business, but the proprietors are friendly and will often direct you to another store carrying what you are wanting. I definitely would recommend Flossy McGrew's, at 1824 S. Broadway. It's supposedly a costume shop, but I've found GREAT vintage suits in there. It's completely unorganized, so you'll have to look. Also ask the shopkeepers in the small stores for other things. One time I asked if they had any cufflinks, and they pulled out a dusty box where I found some nice enamel snap cufflinks...I think I paid $2.00.

Good luck!

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Thanks Daniel

Thanks a lot Daniel,
Just the info I was hunting for. Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out.

I'll be at the Brown Palace Hotel downtown for a week or 2 with time to kill, hats to shop for.

Fredthecat

JCBurns

Familiar Face
Fred,
There is a place along the same street, Broadway, farther South than Flossie McGrews, just north of Hamden called Ted's Clothiers that carries Scala brand hats. They also claim to carry authentic Panama's from Equador. I can't vouch for them, but they did have a fairly decent selection of Fedoras last time I was in there. They seemed a bit pricey to me, but what do I know. :)

JCBurns

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Geez, I remember buying my first Stetson fedora at Cottrell's down on 16th Street back in 1983. Even that late, the men's stores all carried hats to some extent. I think Cottrell's is long gone, though.

Brad

JCBurns

Familiar Face
Brad,
I'll bet that fully 1/2 of my collection has the Cottrells foil stamp in them. I also have a number from "The Denver" store.

JCBurns

Daniel

Familiar Face
Much of my thrift store stuff carries names no longer existent -- Cottrell's, The Denver, Denver Dry Goods, and even several custom tailors that are so old as to not be found in Google. I also have suits and ties with hotel logos on the tag. Apparently a lot of the grand old hotels had custom tailors on site.

*sigh* And now downtown Denver is all generic -- The Gap, Banana Republic, etc.

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys

Thanks guys,
Seems most of the good haberdashers are gone from major cities in the west.

I also got a lead towards Bert's Model A Ford Center on Chestnut Place (I also play with old cars and airplanes) so I'll have $hopping to do while in the city.

Now a good used book store and I'm set

Thanks for the leads,

Fredthecat

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Daniel said:
Much of my thrift store stuff carries names no longer existent -- Cottrell's, The Denver, Denver Dry Goods, and even several custom tailors that are so old as to not be found in Google. I also have suits and ties with hotel logos on the tag. Apparently a lot of the grand old hotels had custom tailors on site.

*sigh* And now downtown Denver is all generic -- The Gap, Banana Republic, etc.

I miss all those great old department stores downtown. It was always a special treat when mom took us kids shopping for new shirts or something, usually at Christmas time. I liked the May D&F store's fabulous window displays, and ice skating at their outdoor rink on 16th.

Downtown Denver is still a dynamic place, but it's just not the same anymore.

I'm glad you guys are grabbing those hats from the old Denver merchants.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner