Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desolation Row

Colin G

One Too Many
I'm in Japan right now for a few weeks so I decided to truck on down to Desolation Row in Shibuya, from my hotel in Shinjuku and check things out. Was about a 20-minute walk each way so not too bad.

I own many Freewheelers pieces so I always wanted to check their shop out and now I had my chance. Nice guys there. I am not after any clothing or jackets this trip but this thing decided to come back to my hotel with me. Always wanted one of these and they had the colour I liked in my size so it was a done deal.

Aviators vest.
thumbnail_IMG_1147 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1142.jpg

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
Then saw this rad old 70's Countach in some kind of Santa run a few minutes later. I came to a primarily non-Christian country to avoid Christmas but no such luck. At least I am not being inundated with nauseating Christmas carols like I would be at home.

thumbnail_IMG_1146.jpg

Colin G

One Too Many
I'm going to try again and check out the Lee jeans shop in Shinjuku today. I could not find it the other day. Google maps had me going in circles. I think it may be in the shopping level of Shinjuku Station but will have another go today. Only a 10 min walk from me but I was looking for that 'effin shop for a bloody hour.

I'll try again today. If anyone here knows where that Lee jeans shop is please tell me!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Then saw this rad old 70's Countach in some kind of Santa run a few minutes later. I came to a primarily non-Christian country to avoid Christmas but no such luck. At least I am not being inundated with nauseating Christmas carols like I would be at home.

View attachment 473995
Be sure to eat some Christmas KFC, in keeping with our American tradition.

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
Be sure to eat some Christmas KFC, in keeping with our American tradition m
I don't eat at the dirty bird. I have not seen one yet but there is a Wendy's fried chicken joint here which is odd. The Japanese take on Subway is kind of whack too but you have to look at things through a relativistic lens coming to places like this. Their version of Western fast food is interesting. I don't eat fast food really and the Japanese take on Macdonald's seems even more disgusting then the North American version which is pure trash anyway.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Be sure to eat some Christmas KFC, in keeping with our American tradition m
Gotta say, I think KFC sucks in Japan, every time I've had it has been disappointing. I'd rather some famichiki or anything else. I went because the restaurant I wanted to go to was closed due to the New Year celebrations and it was disappointment stacked on disappointment.

I'm going to try again and check out the Lee jeans shop in Shinjuku today. I could not find it the other day. Google maps had me going in circles. I think it may be in the shopping level of Shinjuku Station but will have another go today. Only a 10 min walk from me but I was looking for that 'effin shop for a bloody hour.

I'll try again today. If anyone here knows where that Lee jeans shop is please tell me!
3-38-1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo LUMINE EST Shinjuku 6F
Here's the address I translated from Google, it's inside LUMINE department store which is connected to Shinjuku station (be sure you're at LUMINE because I think Shinjuku station is also close to Hankyu as well as Isetan, all at different sides/directions) looks like on the 6th floor, best of luck finding it mate! One of my mates was at that same department store yesterday looking for a chicken!

I'm in Japan right now for a few weeks so I decided to truck on down to Desolation Row in Shibuya, from my hotel in Shinjuku and check things out. Was about a 20-minute walk each way so not too bad.

I own many Freewheelers pieces so I always wanted to check their shop out and now I had my chance. Nice guys there. I am not after any clothing or jackets this trip but this thing decided to come back to my hotel with me. Always wanted one of these and they had the colour I liked in my size so it was a done deal.

Aviators vest. View attachment 473992 View attachment 473993
How much stock did they carry of their stuff there? I was hoping to go in store and try on some leather jackets in a 44, but I think that's a long shot from looking at their stock on their webstore.

Colin G

One Too Many
Rad, Thanks Jasonissm. I did think it was in the Lumine like you said but was unsure and my google maps kept directing me to an alley behind Lumine. I just got really annoyed and abandoned my search. I wanted to buy some Iron Heart jeans once I got to Osaka but that Freewheeler's vest destroyed my fun money budget. maybe I can afford a pair of Lee and then call it a day for clothes shopping.

I'll go try and find the Lee store after lunch.

I did want to find a black Rainbow Country belt but will wait until Kyoto or Osaka. I find it easier to navigate around those cities than Tokyo. Tokyo is a big clusterf@@k. I got lost in Shinjuku Station after getting off the Narita express train. Lol.

This is my first solo trip anywhere outside N America. Usually my girlfriend does the google maps ect and I deal with communicating and paying ect ect

Not much in stock for leather to be honest. They had a few Trackwalker jackets, a Journeyman in 38 and not much else. I wanted to try a Centinella to see what the fuss is about and I dig them also. There was a couple deerskin jackets with a slight crosszip but can't remember what style it was. Lots of other stuff though. There looked to be some used leather jackets too but all small like 34, 36 or 38.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Rad, Thanks Jasonissm. I did think it was in the Lumine like you said but was unsure and my google maps kept directing me to an alley behind Lumine. I just got really annoyed and abandoned my search. I wanted to buy some Iron Heart jeans once I got to Osaka but that Freewheeler's vest destroyed my fun money budget. maybe I can afford a pair of Lee and then call it a day for clothes shopping.

I did want to find a black Rainbow Country belt but will wait until Kyoto or Osaka. I find it easier to navigate around those cities than Tokyo. Tokyo is a big clusterf@@k. I got lost in Shinjuku Station after getting off the Narita express train. Lol.

This is my first solo trip anywhere outside N America. Usually my girlfriend does the google maps ect and I deal with communicating and paying ect ect

Not much in stock for leather to be honest. They had a few Trackwalker jackets, a Journeyman in 38 and not much else. I wanted to try a Centinella to see what the fuss is about and I dig them also. There was a couple deerskin jackets with a slight crosszip but can't remember what style it was. Lots of other stuff though. There looked to be some used leather jackets too but all small like 34, 36 or 38.
Yeah, Shinjuku station is notoriously difficult to navigate. A lot of people also go to get drinks and party and then when they get there they're like "what the heck, it's so dead/boring", but turns out they're on the boring salaryman/business side, just across the other side is more degenerates drinking out in the public square, any number of bars, girls bars, clubs, etc.

I definitely wanna try on some Freewheelers and Rainbow Country, have some cash set aside for one but not sure if I'll even be able to find one in stock my size for me to try on. They all seem to make very limited runs in general and especially for big size like 44, they often don't even stock them and keep them special order only. For a big $$$ purchase like this I want to try it on at least, got burned last time I blind bought a Rainbow Country on the secondary market.

Have fun on your trip, mate!

sshack

A-List Customer

View attachment 473995

I don't eat at the dirty bird. I have not seen one yet but there is a Wendy's fried chicken joint here which is odd. The Japanese take on Subway is kind of whack too but you have to look at things through a relativistic lens coming to places like this. Their version of Western fast food is interesting. I don't eat fast food really and the Japanese take on Macdonald's seems even more disgusting then the North American version which is pure trash anyway.
I don't know, I'm interested to try the J- version of Mac D. They have really unique seasonal items. I would 10x rather eat a J-McD than the US version. It's much cheaper than the US as well. From an economic standpoint, it speaks volumes on the efficiency and supply chain for Japan (google BigMac index).

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The vest is FW at their best (not directly copying something, but clearly inspired by a lot of classic designs and materials; like Aero in that way.)

As for Christmas, sorry but it’s huge in Japan… although it’s also not really Christmas. Christmas in Japan is basically Valentine’s Day with Santa, KFC, and gifts.

Colin G

One Too Many
Yeah, Shinjuku station is notoriously difficult to navigate. A lot of people also go to get drinks and party and then when they get there they're like "what the heck, it's so dead/boring", but turns out they're on the boring salaryman/business side, just across the other side is more degenerates drinking out in the public square, any number of bars, girls bars, clubs, etc.

I definitely wanna try on some Freewheelers and Rainbow Country, have some cash set aside for one but not sure if I'll even be able to find one in stock my size for me to try on. They all seem to make very limited runs in general and especially for big size like 44, they often don't even stock them and keep them special order only. For a big $$$ purchase like this I want to try it on at least, got burned last time I blind bought a Rainbow Country on the secondary market.

Have fun on your trip, mate!
There are lots of big Japanese guys so I am unsure why it is so hard to find larger sizes. I am a 40 and lots of Japanese guys are taller and thicker than me so not sure why that is.

I need to go back into Shinjuku Station to catch the Shinkansen to Kyoto on Thursday so I will go in an hour early so I can fumble around and find my platform. Namba Station in Osaka and Kyoto Station seemed like a walk in the park compared to Shinjuku. My google Maps was not working my first night and I felt totally lost and helpless until I found a cab to take me to my hotel.

Colin G

One Too Many
The vest is FW at their best (not directly copying something, but clearly inspired by a lot of classic designs and materials; like Aero in that way.)

As for Christmas, sorry but it’s huge in Japan… although it’s also not really Christmas. Christmas in Japan is basically Valentine’s Day with Santa, KFC, and gifts.
I figured I'd get a few days worth and that is it but it is not over the top like at home. Christmas adverts starting at the end of October makes me crazy. My whole life I have never been into it really. Even as a kid.

Blackadder

This entrance. Small section on 6f
Shinjuku City, Tokyo
https://maps.app.goo.gl/dLdd4nfUZMjukvXt6
Opposite Zara
Screenshot_2022-12-19-14-10-24-459_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2022-12-19-14-12-08-756_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Blackadder

Not much in stock for leather to be honest. They had a few Trackwalker jackets, a Journeyman in 38 and not much else. I wanted to try a Centinella to see what the fuss is about and I dig them also. There was a couple deerskin jackets with a slight crosszip but can't remember what style it was. Lots of other stuff though. There looked to be some used leather jackets too but all small like 34, 36 or 3
Try Ueno, you will find almost everything. Lee archives and wrangler too. Difference are you get tax free at Lee shop and you probably get a denim calendar as gift when making purchase at Lee shop.
For Lee and wrangler archives, go to Americaya, you will find a whole cockloft full of Lee Wrangler.
Americana consists of a number of storefronts. Ask staff for direction.

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks Blackadder.

I am not far from Lumine at the Sotetsu Hotel Sunroute just down from JR Shinjuku station. I'll have another go and find the Lee store today.

Colin G

One Too Many
On a side note, does anyone know if I can reclaim my taxes from my Desolation Row purchase? They do not offer tax free shopping for tourists. Some malls have a kiosk where you can get tax back ect but I am unsure if I can do that on my Freewheeler's purchase.

Is there a kiosk at the Narita airport or am I just going to have to eat it?

Blackadder

On a side note, does anyone know if I can reclaim my taxes from my Desolation Row purchase? They do not offer tax free shopping for tourists. Some malls have a kiosk where you can get tax back ect but I am unsure if I can do that on my Freewheeler's purchase.

Is there a kiosk at the Narita airport or am I just going to have to eat it?
No. No tax refund at FW or RM. Mall or arcade tax refund counter only handles their tenants' tax refund so only shops in that mall. There is no tax refund kiosk at airport because u either get a cash refund or tax is excluded there and then. So no centralized refund system. It's much simpler than say UK.

Colin G

One Too Many
No. No tax refund at FW or RM. Mall or arcade tax refund counter only handles their tenants' tax refund so only shops in that mall. There is no tax refund kiosk at airport because u either get a cash refund or tax is excluded there and then. So no centralized refund system. It's much simpler than say UK.
Thanks. That is kind of what I expected regarding taxes but asked just in case.

Found the Lee store in Lumine. I was expecting something larger but at least I could try some jeans. I am a 32 waist and a 32 in a slim Lee was huge. I'd be a 30 or 31 but they had none.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ