Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DiCaprio's cap in Gangs of New York....

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am looking to obtain a reasonable facsimile of the cap worn by the Amsterdam Vallon character in Gangs of New York & wanted to throw a couple of possibilities out there & ask for any suggestions. I'm not looking for S.A., just "in the spirit of".

These are the best caps I could find w/ the cap:
Gangs-of-New-york-leonardo-dicaprio.jpg

gangsofnypubl.jpg

scorsese.jpg

...and these are my thus far found candidates:

#1: sized as S,M,L,XL
newsboynyleatherbrown4.jpg

newsboynyleatherbrown1.jpg

#2: sized either S/M or L/XL only. Does this sizing perhaps suggest lower quality?

leathernewsboywilsons.jpg

leatherwilsonsnewsboy2.jpg

I figure to blacken the brim w/ shoe dye/polish & put a bit of a shine on it...

any thoughts?

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
The cap he's wearing was popular in the 1830s and 1840s, declining in popularity but still worn through the 1860s.....it also shifted during this period from being REALLY baggy and "mushroomy" on top early on to more restrained by the 1860s. It went by various names, Mechanics caps, wheel caps, etc. etc. but most people then of course just called it a "cap" which makes finding it in documents a bit tougher (depending how anal you are regarding primary sources, documentation, authenticity, etc.). Here's some options in terms of reproductions:

You can make your own: http://www.theyoungcampaigner.com/2007/10/make-your-own-m.html

The Workwoman's Guide (1840) has a pattern in it, but you'll have to look for a copy....

Get one that is so-so in terms of authenticity, but still that style of cap: http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg16.htm

This one is one of the closest you'll get to a period correct one: http://www.carterandjasper.com/products/browncap.jpg and while they aren't in stock, if you email Joe and tell him you're interested in one he'll probably work on getting some more in-stock....but NOTE: Carter and Jasper Mercantile is now being run by an old buddy of mine from back when I was involved in reenacting these periods....just putting this out there for full disclosure....I don't get kickbacks or anything, and I hardly ever see Joe anymore....

Just checked out the vendors that used to carry really good repro ones on top of Joe, and apparently most of them have stopped carrying or are going out of business....either way, this will get you started...

They're ridiculously easy to make though if you can handle a needle...

-Adam C.

P.S. Dirty Billy's carries a mechanics cap, but I really don't recommend you go there....people have waited years for hats, had hard times getting in touch with him, and a multitude of other issues....you can find discussions of these over many reenactor forums.....he makes good caps (which is why this is unfortunate), so if you can go to a Reenactment and find him set up grab what you can, but customer service on mail orders isn't good at all.....

seabass

Call Me a Cab
forgot to mention
i can wear it back just like hes sporting it or flip it forward like a newsboy.
it has this great band thats thick so its shapes very well to your liking
made in japan. so big bucks.. they have 2 kinds new or distressed
the distressed the maker threw it in a washing machine so those fit tight if you are a large or a 7 1/4-, 7 3/8
the new caps are slightly larger than a 7 3/8
they only have 1 size

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
Rick Blaine said:
Many thanks, my friend! A very comprehensive & informative post! I owe ya' a solid. :cheers1:

Not a problem! Hope it helps some...I did 19th century living history for a LONG time before moving on to other periods, so have had a lot of experience with the history/usage of that style cap....even had one for awhile for when I was portraying a clerk and doing more 1830s/Seminole wars stuff down here. They were made of all kinds of materials, brims were leather, cloth, or tarred canvas....so lots of room and variability. For the first half of the century, they were basically the equivalent of the Baseball cap today.

Also, I forgot I had this link when I posted earlier: http://www.northwestjournal.ca/XII3.htm

Cheers,
Adam

IC_NiJuShi

New in Town
Comment and Project

@Rick

Unfortunately those caps look not so familiar in exact shape, notice the top is smooth there is no top button, they do however look good in style comparison. I'm currently in the process of making DiCaprio's cap, but I am using a maroon-black faux leather, I will post once I finish as I might just mess it up. I do love how the cap is covering DiCaprio's hair in the back though the most, I currently have that kind of hair and that hat would be so great for me.

Who knows this thread might be very much forgotten already...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
The hard find is the strange "derby" his gang wore towards the end of the film, with the really tall turned up brim.
I've never found anything like it.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IC_NiJuShi & Sam... thanks for the input on an oldie. I ended up w/ a reasonable facsimile but to be honest, on the few days here it is cool enough to wear it, I'll go for felt every time. As a result it is now on a shelf somewhere in here.

IC_NiJuShi- I would be quite interested in seeing your result, please post the process & progress!

Sam- Beaver Brand makes some odd Derby/Bowler permutations for the Six shooter crowd.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Hello Gunner Foxx in Hollywood CA made the cap for the film. i was in his shop early last year. it is actually a 3 panel cap. he can make em for big bucks....... he measured me up but i cant afford it.. very nice guy. He has talent nice fedoras too. he sorta dresses like the butcher hat & all....

Edward

Bartender
forgot to mention
i can wear it back just like hes sporting it or flip it forward like a newsboy.
it has this great band thats thick so its shapes very well to your liking
made in japan. so big bucks.. they have 2 kinds new or distressed
the distressed the maker threw it in a washing machine so those fit tight if you are a large or a 7 1/4-, 7 3/8
the new caps are slightly larger than a 7 3/8
they only have 1 size

I'd love one of those. Since I bought my Stetson Burney a couple of years ago (hogskin, brown, eight panel) I've been looking one in black or grey. The Stetson is great for wearing where I want a cap and in heavy rain where wool would soak through in no time, I like it a lot. Been looking a black one, but they tend for the most part to be a bit too 'fetish' style to work with my look. That Mister Freedom would be ideal, I see they do it in black. I'm assuming, however, that it's the price of a suit? I like all their stuff, but the last time I looked at a pair of their trousers I could have had a bespoke suit for what they were charging. The lack of pricing information on the website also suggests an "If you have to ask..." set-up..... Shame.

hatmods.jpg

This is what I envision post-modification, having dyed the brim & 86ed the button on top. Whatta ya' think?

brando.jpg

Kinda....

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Sam- Beaver Brand makes some odd Derby/Bowler permutations for the Six shooter crowd.

Rick,

If you remember in the film, they were worn towards the end during the funeral scene. Dicaprio wore one and I think it was a wide-awake hat ... no nap ... and the brim was turned way up ... about half way up the crown.

I'm wondering if it was an exageration by the costume designer ... several things in the movie were ... beyond real historic hats.

Very strange

Sam

IC_NiJuShi

New in Town
Well alright I made it, but it looks different, especially the back. The length downward is too short and I had to pinch it to make it go flat in the back. So yeah here are a few shots of it, looks similar in shape at least :)

j6ud55.jpg

5155qs.jpg

2z8cn5g.jpg

2i9mqs5.jpg

dnytm8.jpg

2vjd6d0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace