Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you know???

Old Brands

It seems that some of the old brands hang on because of generational, regional, socio-economical loyalties. It is great fun to find something that is from your childhood or growing up era.

How often is it that just when you find a product you like, it seems like they just gotta stop making it!

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
My family uses Fels Naphtha too, but for an entirely different purpose. My aunt is the "Queen of Poision Ivy". She can just look at it and break out in an itchy rash. Her recommended cure is to take a Fels Naptha bar, get in the shower, and scrub the blisters with the edge of the bar until they break open. I know everyone says never to break the blisters, but stay with me here. After a good scrubbing with the Fels Naptha, douse them with Ivy Dry, and presto! Poision ivy defeated! I have done this personally and it works every time.
I too have seen the Watkins products in Wal-Mart, but to me, there is just something wrong with buying such a classic, wholesome, old-timey product from a corporate monster like Wal-Mart. Personally I go to the Watkins website and purchase my items there.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Great stuff

Had my wife pick up some Wildroot yesterday, tried it out as soon as she got home. Great stuff, not as greasy/ sticky as pomade, but holds well. I'll find out more tonight at the company Christmas party, in Chicago, of course going vintage. Probably be the only one there in a hat of any kind.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
katiemakeup said:
That's awesome! I was just thinking about something similar- I had picked up Rinso brand dishwashing liquid (at the 99 cent store:D ) and the label said since 1910! I guess any company that wasn't bought out by a major conglomerate somehow still makes it's way to random merchants and retailers...

WR, maybe you are just prone to notice these things... you size 'em up and zero in on stuff (just like Predator!) 'modern' folks would take for grantedlol

It may also be that thew labels are bought by a big company, but they still keep it in production.

Heck, Starbucks owns part of Seattle's best Coffee and anothe big chain.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J. M. Stovall said:
:eek:fftopic: What's the new avatar deanglen? That's a really nice painting!

Ploesti raid! I found this vintage ad site that had some WWII era ads, and 50s & 60s and saved a few of them, here they are:

ploesti59.jpg

bower53jet.jpg

gruen42.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

Great avatar stuff. I like to keep changing the avatar. It's just what I do.

dean

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
melankomas said:
i've eaten both Spam and Treet, but i've yet to sample Prem. i don't know whether it's still sold, but it had very amusing limerick advertisements. much like Windex, but meatier.

Never thought of Windex as meaty!;)

dean

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Yeah that's a great painting, and now I can see why, it's a Bob McCall! He's one of the greatest space artists ever! I've never seen any historic avaition art by him before.

Robert McCall, 81, came to public attention in the early 1960s as the illustrator for LIFE magazine's memorable series on the future of space travel. At that time, he became one of a few select artists to be chosen for NASA, documenting the progress of American space history, and has been present at nearly every NASA event since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot