Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference tumbled cxfqhh and normal cxfqhh

Alex83

New in Town
Hi guys,

I'm Alex from germany and new here at the forum, so hello! I have a question and i hope that you can help me.
I want to order at aero leather a indian ranger in black cxfqhh. But i can not decide if i want to have normal or tumbled Cxfqhh. What is the visible difference? Aero sent me samples and on this it seems that the tumbled is more colour diverse. I like that, but the samples are very small and i want to see how it looks on a jacket. So if you could post pictures of your black normal and tumbled cxfqhh jacket it would help me very much! Thank you!!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
My understanding is that it's the same stuff, but the tumbled has been thrown in a big tumbler for a few hours to bring out the grain and knock some of the new out of the leather. So you end up with a bit more grain and wrinkles and maybe a bit more broken in to start. You can get the same effect through regular wear, and time.

seres

A-List Customer
My understanding, after owning several jackets n both Tumbled CXL and Regular CXL (in the brown color), is that the weight is about the same, but varies with the individual hide. I have some Tumbled that are slightly heavier than Regular, and some that are slightly lighter.

The Tumbled has less sheen or shiny topcoat than the Regular, so in use the wear spots are more noticeable on the Regular, and tend to blend-in more on the Tumbled. Also, I think because of the shiny topcoat, the Regular seems to have a deeper color.

Just keep in mind that all leather varies from hide to hide, and what I see in my jackets today, may not be what you see in a newer / older hide. I think both are beautiful, but my next jacket will be Tumbled.

Alex83

New in Town
Thank you all for the fast and informative replys. @ seres maybe you can post some pictures of your different jackets?

zebedee

One Too Many
'Tumbled' - I believe - is mid-weight, as is 'battered'. Apart from weight, the difference is softness and flexibility. Regular CXL HH is heavier and initially harder.

They're both great - I prefer mid-weight hides (although they're still heavy!).

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
My experience with the two is exactly as the name implies, tumbled is taking the new CXL and tumbling it, essentially beating up the leather, think of throwing a jacket into a giant industrial bingo ball tumbler with the balls. Result is a more broken in leather without using chemicals.

With the break in, you gain softness, character development, and a loss of shine from the leather (which I believe some makers add back on?) depending how aggressive the tumbling is.

Some folks don't like the sheen of CXL and prefer a more matte, natural finish, and if so this is perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21