Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences between M-422a, AN6552, G1

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Well, while researching this question I came across this web;

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm

There are a lot of pictures of many contracts. The differences between jackets is given not by the mil spec or years but by the producers. One of my favourites so far is the J-7823(AER) by L.W. Foster Sportswear;

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/G-1_7823_LFoster_44.htm

DSCN4735.JPG

I like the slim fit and small collar.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Yes...there are differences. Here's a few. The older jackets were longer in the body and had a fuller cut. The collar shapes were also a bit different...larger than those of the sixties and seventies G-1s. The older jackets had pocket flaps that were scalloped to some degree...depending on the decade the jacket was produced. Linings in the older jackets were rayon. The leather used to make the older jackets was nicer...had a more course grain. And, of course, there were never any cowhide Navy jackets until the E-series G-1s appeared (1972), and dynal collars were't used until the late D-series G-1s (1969).

AF

BTW...the site referenced in this thread belongs to Rodger Moore. He was once very active on VLJ, but not so much these days. He probably knows as much, or more, about USN leather than anybody collecting.

Last edited:

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Well, I checked one by one all pictures on Rodger Moore's site :eek: and I pick the 7823 Foster Sportswear contract from 1950s and the J-7823C Ralph Edwards Sportswear contract from 1960s. I intend to instruct Aero to do something similar for me, let's see if I manage :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters