Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Differences in Aero leather.

Harry Lime

Suspended
A question for all more technical than myself. I own a number of Aero jackets in different hides and colors. Love 'em all to varying degrees from a lot to tons. But there are some real differences in the hides. I have a Barnstormer in cordovan horse with the blanket lining (the special edition one) that's fantastic. The hide is great and has really broke in well. I have a shearling collared Barnstormer in brown that is a stiffer horse but is also breaking in well (my favorite coat.) I have a black vintage horsehide Barnstormer that, well, isn't as up to snuff. The hide seems inferior and the finish is wearing off quickly. Is this because of a different quality hide or different tanning process?

I also have some steer and buffalo Aero. The steer is nice, the buffalo not bad. In truth, I wish the buffalo jackets were goatskin, but they're still not bad. Only other Aero complaint would be the zippers aren't always sewn in very well. Styles and fit are wonderful.

(You guys have made me think long and hard about going for a seal brown Aero A-2. I'm still wading through what the differences are in models before ordering.)

Harry Lime

jake431

Practically Family
Harry,

I see you're from Chicago - ironically, the best place to answer this question! Most (if not all) of Aero's FQHH is made by Horween - right at the corner of Armitage, Ashland and Elston.

But, the Vintage Black, is supposed to age quicker, and be softer initially. From what I remember Aero's website saying, there is just one step that is different in the tanning process than their usual hides. However, as I said above, you could probably just ring up Horween and talk to them about it, and get a much more technical answer (and thorough) than from either Aero or myself.

A fellow Chi-towner,
-Jake

Harry Lime

Suspended
Ah hah!

jake431 said:
Harry,

I see you're from Chicago - ironically, the best place to answer this question! Most (if not all) of Aero's FQHH is made by Horween - right at the corner of Armitage, Ashland and Elston.

But, the Vintage Black, is supposed to age quicker, and be softer initially. From what I remember Aero's website saying, there is just one step that is different in the tanning process than their usual hides. However, as I said above, you could probably just ring up Horween and talk to them about it, and get a much more technical answer (and thorough) than from either Aero or myself.

A fellow Chi-towner,
-Jake

I always wondered why it smelled like dead bodies over there when the temps hit a certain level. Now I know. Thanks, Jake431, I'll call the cow and horse hit men at Horween.

Harry Lime

Blackjack

One Too Many
Hmmm, does Horween sell out the door by any chance? Save a few bucks on the old middleman. I'm in Des Plaines so it's no stretch for me to fly over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes