Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difficult Colors to find.

Hi Fellow FL Folks.

I was just wondering what color fedora my fellow FL members found hardest to find.
Keep in mind I am only buying Cav's and Stetsons due to what knowledge I've found here on FL and the way those two makers seem to fit my head and my style.

I have been trying to find a Dark BLUE, I never ever see one in any size let alone the sizes that fit me which are 7 1/8 and 7 1/4
So Dark BLUE is my choice for toughest color to find.

TIA
Best regards
Countryclubjoe

Annixter

Practically Family
It depends on the era in which you are looking, among other factors. In my experience searching online sites for fedoras in the 7 1/8 size of a 30's through 50's vintage, anything outside of black, charcoal gray, and browns are harder to find and will end up fetching more money due to this reason. Included in these scarcer colors are your blues of any hue, greens, maroons/burgundies, and very light grays. Some 1950's Royal Stetsons are of a dark gray with a blue tent that I occasionally see come up for sale, but they are not dark blue by any means. It took me a long time (about six months) of searching before I found a light gray 30's Stetson with a contrasting black band, so I'd prepare for the long haul to find a dark blue in those eras, and I'd prepare to spend good money for a nice one at that.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Joe, Winchester makes a very nice dark blue felt, I think they call it Midnight.

You could ask Mr Fawcett (or one of our other great hatmakers) to make you a hat with this felt in any style you like.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Don't see many lilac or mauve vintage fedoras. They're out there, though … Peach is a tough one to find, too.
Im in search of a Peach Fedora been looking for over 20 years, Ive got close but still looking...
I do have a very old Purple fedora & a 50's Lilac.......

Hi

I am limiting my search to Cav's and Stetson, to limit my exposure and control my TOTAL Addiction to Fedora's.

If I stray into, Mallory's, Dodds, Churchhill and others, I fear I will need additional space simply for my fedora's LOL.

I already feel naked when I leave the house without my fedora and my addiction only started about 30 days ago.

My current collection is up to 6 fedoras.

3- Cav's
3- Stetsons

I see other named hatters and I have to really control my addiction not to purchase. I see Mallory, Dodd, Churchill and some Fedoras from Germany, and France etc going for what I consider good prices for vintage fedora's. So actually just limiting myself and not going crazy for every great fedora I see.

TIA

Best regards
CCJOE

Corky

Practically Family
In the 1970's, my favorite lid was a fedora in deep forest green

Back in the 1970's, my favorite lid was a fedora in deep forest green. That hat has long since gone to that great big ol' hatbox in the sky; and I have searched high and low for a replacement. I acquired one of the first Bluegrass Green Camp Drafts, and that turned out to be close to the desired color, but a bit grayish.

forestgreen.jpg

I realize that it's a bit hard to see against a black background, but the dark forest green color I seek is available from a few suppliers as a custom color (as seen here from Buckaroo Hatters) but I am confident I will find one on a shelf some day.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Most difficult color (that I really like) for me to find? Has to be the purplish-grey-brown of the Lee Trinity I just sold! At least it will get worn now, as it is two sizes too big for me! I kept it for over two years, desperately hoping my head would conform into it. Alas.

It looks like perhaps Optimo's "plum" is close, but anything Optimo still goes in the "difficult colors to find" category for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner