Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Displaying a Fedora & Care Advice

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
I recently purchased two extremely special fedoras, both brand new, and am planning to have them be put up on display on a specially made custom hat-stand, stored inside a glass display case.

My question to the experts here would be for advice on how to best care for the hats while on storage.

Bearing in mind that I will never wear the hats (except for maybe literally trying them on every now and then), does anyone know if there are any steps that I should take to ensure their longevity? Should I apply some leather conditioner to the sweatband every year, or every two years, or maybe never at all? And would I be correct in assuming that the felt, ribbon, and lining need no maintenance from me? Finally, should I be worried about insects/critters at all? And if so, how would I go about protecting it from them?

Thank you, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Neil

A-List Customer
Well. . .

You can't just post like that without details.
Why are they so special? Why won't you wear them? And what about pics?
The answer to your question, I think, is no special treatment other than a little leather creme on the sweatband once a year or so.

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
Thanks for the response Neil, and in answer to your question, I was thinking about expanding on why they were special in my first post but... more on that below...

The two hats are part of a limited run of only 5 by Steve Delk, made as exact replicas of the Crystal Skull hats that he made. What makes this different than his usual offerings are the liners, which is are vintage 'tissue'-liners supplied by Art Fawcett (if memory serves), and were the same liners used on the majority of Ford's hats.

I didn't want to post this in the original post because since they *are* Indiana Jones fedoras, I didn't want folks to tell me to go ahead and treat them the way an Indy fedora should be treated... Rough and tumble! ;) Esepcially given the 'lineage' of the hat and construction.

I also choose not to wear the hats partially because one of the hats simply isn't in my size (it is in Ford's), but mainly because I just can't bring myself to use something that I feel "belongs in a museum!" ;)

I'd be glad to post pictures once I get the display set up, but I don't think there would be too much demand here to see an ol' Indy fedora... :p

Ande1964

Practically Family
Display?

Are you hoping to display the hats, or simply store them? Either way, fresh cedar balls once a year is a good idea. Most here are not fans of mothballs, just because of the toxicity.

I think it would be cool to display at least one in a glass case, possibly with a cedar lined floor.

Treating the leather with some Lexol every few years probably couldn't hurt/

Anj

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
Perhaps now would be a good time to unveil the semi-completed display?

ABR.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/westedcrusader/ABL.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/westedcrusader/ABF.jpg

...and the mysterious (until now) addition, a completely custom-built, and perhaps first of its kind hat-block hat-stand made completely by Ohio Jones!

stand1.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/westedcrusader/stand2.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/westedcrusader/stand3.jpg

I had earlier decided that I would hold off on posting pictures until I finished my 'display', which still needs a glass case, but when I opened that Fedex parcel by Ohio Jones (from Club Obi-Wan), it really was just too beautiful to contain!

My hat is off (and on the stand, it seems) to both Steve Delk and Ohio for their amazing works of art! I just cannot thank both enough, as you can plainly see in these photos what they have produced goes above and beyond even the highest caliber of hand-made items, and certainly does "belong in a museum!"

I really will have to especially give props to Ohio Jones, who somehow seems to be able to go under the radar when this guy should be walking loudly alongside the finest of our ranks! Just ask Penman, and I'm sure he'll back me up in saying Ohio is a rare individual indeed! He's an incredible craftsman, and was unbelievably patient in working with me to come up with what I think might be the first of its kind, and perhaps the only thing worthy of Fedora's fedora- a hat block hat stand!

Thank you Steve and thank you Matt, what you have both individually achieved is simply phenomenal!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

re indy hats

wow! congradulations on the hats. my first advice

uv protection on the display case and NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT!

treat them like you would treat any carded action figure or any collectible.

I like the hat block I've been thinking about something like that because my fed iv is shrinking a little on me.

kudos to you, can't wait to see the final project.

oh, one other question, if that picture is the replica that you bought from Steve, is that the same crease he used of the ones in the movie? if so that would be a great reference picture for the do it your self creasers out there.

jpbales

Practically Family
Great hats!!!

:eusa_clap

That hat block stand is a great idea for preserving the block of the hat over time. It should help support the body of the hat and keep gravity from taking it's toll. :eusa_clap

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
Thanks guys! Hopefully this should help 'beat' gravity in a way, and I'll be sure to keep the two of them out of direct sunlight. The fedora is indeed an Indy IV crease, and if anyone would like their own custom hat block, I could always try get Ohio to join up here if he hasn't already, or he could be found on Club Obi-Wan.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely stunning hat. But you should have made that wonderful hat-stand with cedar - that way the whole tableau would be kinda self-protecting. :D

I always knew why I love my Lowden guitar with the cedar top so much: when it - she - was younger, it was such a thrill to open the case and have that intensive aroma fill the air - not a single moth nibble on that guitar! ;)

Tone

A-List Customer
Wow, that is a tall hat! How's it look when you put it on?
ABL.jpg

The display block looks very well done, btw. How much are they?

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
I was thinking the exact same thing, Mario, though I think the color really matches nicely with the AB as it is. Chances are though that I'll be getting a cedar one eventually though for my other fedoras! ;)

Tone, the fedora actually is not my size but Harrison Ford's, as I was going for a completely dead-on accurate fedora to what Steve made for Indy IV. Same kind of felt done on the same block, with the same kind of liner, and *hopefully* same kind of sweatband! It is a tragedy that it probably will not be worn for a few decades at least, but like the others have noted, what a hat!

And as for the price of the hat block hat stand, that would be something you'd have to discuss with Ohio, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner