Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Django Unchained

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw a test screening of this movie. It was good, but ran too long. It has all the QT hallmarks: very wordy at times, and then (ala Kill Bill) crazy bloody violence. The pacing is awful. It was 2.5 hours long and you felt every minute of it. This movie at a tight 1:45 would have worked fine.
No spoilers here, but QT explained in an interview that this movie has a climax, and then an epilogue, and obviously he can do whatever he wants, so....yeah.
Cristoph Waltz is great.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I think Christoph Waltz would be THE reason for watching this movie. His performance in Inglorious Basterds was a revelation to me. I was familiar with him playing in 80's German police TV shows that appear on the box here in France & I must admit he was rather transparent. Just shows what a talented film director can do ( hell, he even made Brad Pitt watchable ) for a non descript actor with potential ...Clint Eastwood has everything to thank Sergio Leone for..................
Looking forward to seeing Waltz's future performances, Definately an actor to watch out for.

Last edited:
Django: "Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"Sorry, I find this disgusting and offensive.
Typical Jamie Foxx. I won't see it either - even when the screener comes to my door. He's one of Hollywood's politically accepted white-hating actors that gets a free pass. I don't like the schtick, regardless of what race someone is part of. Fearing I'm taking this way into Not for TFL territory, I'll stop.I'd rather sit next to Chris Tucker at a Lakers game...he's a classy guy.

Last edited:
look again - every Tarantino film is a spaghetti western - he's just updated the plots and improved the production standards.
Or not. Many have said that his editor was the key to his films. She died and there's lots of "this movie is 45 mins too long" commentary out there. Editing is key, and that was one of many issues he has with this film.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Typical Jamie Foxx. I won't see it either - even when the screener comes to my door. He's one of Hollywood's politically accepted white-hating actors that gets a free pass. I don't like the schtick, regardless of what race someone is part of. Fearing I'm taking this way into Not for TFL territory, I'll stop.I'd rather sit next to Chris Tucker at a Lakers game...he's a classy guy.

Keep your politics to yourself, and that goes for Uff Da and JumpBoot too.

bulldog1935

Suspended
all the hubbub raised over a stupid, meaningless joke is all too telling and in a most unfortunate manner

aside from that, saw the trailer when I saw Bond, this is the only movie on my must-see list

Last edited:
Keep your politics to yourself, and that goes for Uff Da and JumpBoot too.
There is no politics in my statements. I don't like hatred being OK. I don't like hypocrisy in regards to the subject, and there's plenty of it out there today. We either treat each other with mutual respect, or we don't and pay the consequences. One man's "joke" is another's statement. If ya don't like that, tough beans.

bulldog1935

Suspended
this one is really easy. If you say, see, see, he's black and he's a racist, then you have three fingers pointing back at yourself.
You can call it a stupid joke, but it really, really wasn't an attack on white people - nor is the movie.

and if you don't like it, don't watch SNL - with digital cable, all your viewing habits are recorded for the sponsors.

this one is really easy. If you say, see, see, he's black and he's a racist, then you have three fingers pointing back at yourself. You can call it a stupid joke, but it really, really wasn't an attack on white people - nor is the movie.and if you don't like it, don't watch SNL - with digital cable, all your viewing habits are recorded for the sponsors.
Fox has a history of such "humor". I don't care for it. That's all. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions though.

carranty

One of the Regulars
Or not. Many have said that his editor was the key to his films. She died and there's lots of "this movie is 45 mins too long" commentary out there. Editing is key, and that was one of many issues he has with this film.

Nonsense. While I agree the editing of a movie is a very important part of its production, I don't see how anyone can say it was Menke (the editor), not Tarantino that was the key. Let us not forget, Tarantino not only directs his films, he writes the scripts too, hence the dialogue (a defining feature of most of his films) is down to him. Additionally, he brings out the best in his actors. Even actors who perhaps have not been very memorable before/after his films, shine during them. An editor can only do so much, if Menke were given tat, the end result would be tat.

I believe it would be fair to say Sally Menke was an extremely talented editor, and that the pair complemented each other very well, and even that as a result of her loss Django may not be quite as refined as Tarantino's previous films. However to imply that she was the 'brains' behind the pairing is patently absurd.

Nonsense. While I agree the editing of a movie is a very important part of its production, I don't see how anyone can say it was Menke (the editor), not Tarantino that was the key. Let us not forget, Tarantino not only directs his films, he writes the scripts too, hence the dialogue (a defining feature of most of his films) is down to him. Additionally, he brings out the best in his actors. Even actors who perhaps have not been very memorable before/after his films, shine during them. An editor can only do so much, if Menke were given tat, the end result would be tat. I believe it would be fair to say Sally Menke was an extremely talented editor, and that the pair complemented each other very well, and even that as a result of her loss Django may not be quite as refined as Tarantino's previous films. However to imply that she was the 'brains' behind the pairing is patently absurd.
In your opinion. QT many times touted her as critical to his work. There's lots of that in the business and don't get so upset over it. You seem to take this comment personally for some reason. Many teams in Hollywood by default credit one another with their success to a project(s). Hence, teams that have been together for many years and projects. Lighten up.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Nonsense. While I agree the editing of a movie is a very important part of its production, I don't see how anyone can say it was Menke (the editor), not Tarantino that was the key. Let us not forget, Tarantino not only directs his films, he writes the scripts too, hence the dialogue (a defining feature of most of his films) is down to him. Additionally, he brings out the best in his actors. Even actors who perhaps have not been very memorable before/after his films, shine during them. An editor can only do so much, if Menke were given tat, the end result would be tat.

I believe it would be fair to say Sally Menke was an extremely talented editor, and that the pair complemented each other very well, and even that as a result of her loss Django may not be quite as refined as Tarantino's previous films. However to imply that she was the 'brains' behind the pairing is patently absurd.

I've got to agree with that. Editors as talented as they may be, are not left alone in an editing room, putting together a film as they see fit but are under the direction of ...............the director.
Either one likes Tarantino's movies or they don't but to claim that he is a talentless film maker who is only successful thanks to a 'technician' is quite frankly, ridiculous. Although influenced by previous movie directors, he has succeded in making his own mark in cinematic history which is only acheived by the few.

carranty

One of the Regulars
In your opinion. QT many times touted her as critical to his work.

Sure, they had a very good working relationship. I can think of many in Hollywood, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton, Scorsese and De Niro/Dicaprio, Stewart/Grant and Hitchcock. All of these pairs have chosen to work together repeatedly and to great success. They are better together than - perhaps - they are apart. But to say - as I believe your post implied (I may have misinterpreted it) - that their success is all down to one of the pair, and that the other lacks talent, is just wrong, and that's what I was disagreeing with.

..... don't get so upset over it. You seem to take this comment personally for some reason.

Perhaps my posts are impassioned, that's just how I write. I can assure you I am not upset, or taking things personally......

carranty

One of the Regulars
You seem to take this comment personally for some reason.......Lighten up.

Interesting! Two new guys come in and get all butt-hurt over my comments on a "technician"? LM*O! Who are you two anyway? Directors that never got any credits? Gimme a break.

I wasn't taking things personally before, but its getting difficult not to with responses such as this [huh].

And yeah, I've been a lurker on this site for a while. Just recently ordered myself a couple of campdrafts though so thought I'd become more involved. Also wanted to get my post count up so I could send/receive P.M.s :)

Last edited:

carranty

One of the Regulars
Hey carranty, who said the "other lacks talent"? Show me please. You can't retort a statement that was never made. Knock it off.
Implied past participle, past tense of im·ply
Verb
Strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated): "the report implies that two million jobs might be lost".

----

I never said you stated it explicitly, only that I inferred it from your post.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Please watch the personal attacks. -HJ. Thanks.

Prehaps the Europeans consider Tarantino differently from the Americans, though I doubt you speak for all of them.
Please try to stay polite, this is hardly a topic worth coming to blows over.................Just have to accept that some folks have different opinions from you & have as much right as you to express them without being insulted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy