Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I have unusual measurements

onstar

One of the Regulars
Chest- 42 (relaxed)
Shoulder 21
waist - 40
Arm- 24

Measurments were taken by a professional tailor. And based on this, my tailor recommended that I get size 44 for a suit so he can adjust it smaller, becasue it is easier to go down a size. But for jackets would a 44 or 42 work?

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
A 20" waist? Maybe he misread the measurement.

When I was 17 y/o I had a girlfriend of the same age who had a 24" waist. She was 5' 2" at 105 pounds. She was petite.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
depending on the waist of the jacket, if the pattern is boxy probably you can get a jacket in your chest size.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Chest- 42 (relaxed)
Shoulder 21
waist - 40
Arm- 24

Measurments were taken by a professional tailor. And based on this, my tailor recommended that I get size 44 for a suit so he can adjust it smaller, becasue it is easier to go down a size. But for jackets would a 44 or 42 work?
How did the tailor measure the shoulders? Because that number sure is odd, atleast if measured the way I would measure.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Dunno. Is there a special way to measure the shoulders? The guy specializes in suits though.
From where to where did he measure? From delt to delt, like the outside of your shoulders? Or joint to joint? It‘s a huge difference and you should know, else your tailor taken measurements are useless when it comes to translating them to a jacket size.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
When Langlitz asked me to give my shoulder width I had no idea how to measure either. I went to my tailor and he just measured me around the upper arm / shoulder cap area (with my arms straight down and include upper chest), but this isn’t what Langlitz asked on the diagram. So I ended up just measuring along the shoulder curve of my dress shirts and used that number. I’d be interested to find how others measure this as well.

OP, you‘ll most likely need size 44 Maxwell, with custom sleeve length. What jacket and sizing is Thurston sending you for fit jacket?

onstar

One of the Regulars

From where to where did he measure? From delt to delt, like the outside of your shoulders? Or joint to joint? It‘s a huge difference and you should know, else your tailor taken measurements are useless when it comes to translating them to a jacket size.
He measured from shoulder to shoulder, across my back, Im guess from rear delts to rear delts. He did not measure from middle delts to middle delts. He did however, mentioned something about and "L" shape from shoulder to arm sleeves and 21 would be ideal for me since I have big shoulders. The tailor does mostly suit alercations and dresses. Fyi, I do have big shoulders, Im 5'10" and had the wing span of someone that is 6'2".

onstar

One of the Regulars
When Langlitz asked me to give my shoulder width I had no idea how to measure either. I went to my tailor and he just measured me around the upper arm / shoulder cap area (with my arms straight down and include upper chest), but this isn’t what Langlitz asked on the diagram. So I ended up just measuring along the shoulder curve of my dress shirts and used that number. I’d be interested to find how others measure this as well.

OP, you‘ll most likely need size 44 Maxwell, with custom sleeve length. What jacket and sizing is Thurston sending you for fit jacket?

I might do a sz 42 with full bi-swing back similar to the half belt or a 44 with regular back and pull in the side/torso straps for a better fit.

And I havent decided if Im going through Aero or Thruston yet. You think Thruston will send me 2 jackets - size 42 and 44 for fitting? Do you know if there is duty tax with Aero to the US?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have not experienced Thurston fit jacket process myself. For my first Aero jacket I went direct but it didn't work and I had to ship it back (very expensive at my own cost). Not Aero's fault mostly just me.

In your case I would suggest to go the Thurston route, at least for the first jacket. Their fit jacket shipping is 38 dollars one way, so 76 dollars round trip. Much better than sending it back over the Pond which can be over 100 dollars one way.

Yeah Thurston may end up a bit pricier, but in your case, the first jacket, it might be worth it. Get their experience for a small price isn't a bad deal, especially you're going custom on the first shot. Custom is not refundable with Aero, only stock jackets.

Import tax for Americans only for amount over 800 dollars.

I don't think you can fit into a size 42 Maxwell. That's what I have. Action back also doesn't work like that, it helps with mobility but not for widening frame. I am interested to see what Thurston fit you into.

Rich22

Practically Family
Im 5'10" and had the wing span of someone that is 6'2".
Wingspan is usually an inch greater than height. I'm 6'1 and my wingspan is 6'3.5. My cousin is 6'5 with a ludicrous 7'2 wingspan.

I don't think your measurements seem unusual, though the shoulder measurement is hard to compare to anything. You're a boxy shape that would suit lots of regular (boxy) jackets going by the other measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran