Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do milans provide enough protection for baldies?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Is this the "Peter Brothers" that you all are talking about?
http://www.pbhats.com/index.html

If so, then how is it that you know anything about what their hats look like or their prices, as the website hasn't shown any of this information for, at least, over a year?
As they themselves say,
"Currently, we are working hard towards building the new shopping cart. For the moment, please check out our hat styles section to figure out what sort of hat you'd be looking for",
and then when you go where you've been directed you find that,
"Please bear with us as we are finishing our style section of the website. Content to be available soon"

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Is this the "Peter Brothers" that you all are talking about?
http://www.pbhats.com/index.html

If so, then how is it that you know anything about what their hats look like or their prices, as the website hasn't shown any of this information for, at least, over a year?
As they themselves say,
"Currently, we are working hard towards building the new shopping cart. For the moment, please check out our hat styles section to figure out what sort of hat you'd be looking for",
and then when you go where you've been directed you find that,
"Please bear with us as we are finishing our style section of the website. Content to be available soon"

Very simple Jackie. Lots of Emails, pics, and phone calls to Brad, Shane, and Nathan. Give 'em a call. They are GOOD PEOPLE.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Perhaps,
however, I make it a point of avoiding people who provide little or no information on their websites, as I've found that these folks often tend to rely on heavy handed salesmanship to appeal to some of their prospective customers' snobbishness in equating perceived exclusivity and genuine high prices with "quality".
There are plenty of websites that sell fine products, without using this sort of approach, to choose from. When I exhaust the possibilities of all of those, then I may consider the others.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps,
however, I make it a point of avoiding people who provide little or no information on their websites, as I've found that these folks often tend to rely on heavy handed salesmanship to appeal to some of their prospective customers' snobbishness in equating perceived exclusivity and genuine high prices with "quality".
There are plenty of websites that sell fine products, without using this sort of approach, to choose from. When I exhaust the possibilities of all of those, then I may consider the others.

Really NOT THEM Jackie. They are "OLD SCHOOL" kind and courteous. They are all abt "PERSONAL SERVICE" Which may be why their E-BIZ and website are still a little awkward and not up to date. Exactly why they welcome phone calls and human contact! Plus, they will custom block and finish your hat! Do your research my friend, abt Peter Bros.

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I just placed my first order w/PB and can confirm what BobR is saying. The guy who answers the phone probably works the cash register and it isn't long before he hands the phone over to the guy making the hats. The maker will even email you photos of your hat if you want, before finalizing the order.

JackieMatra, thanks for the Akubra hemp info. Do you have a preferred retailer of those hats? I might try one.

Well put, Bob. Funny how the world actually and effectively operated before the internet, when person-to-person was the best form of communication, which it still is. I think it's safe to say that we are in an old-school industry, with many players who are "micro-operators," busy at their craft with little or no time (or resources, I.E. $$$) to create and maintain a web site. We should try to understand that aspect of their plight. Or we can prefer a nice website, and only go there.

RJR

Not to beat the issue to death but do check Peters Brothers on FaceBook.Brad's dad,Joe,passed away some time ago and a "computer friend" volunteered to build them a new website....guess what,dead stand still.
Call and visit them,I have two felts and a Milan from them and am very pleased.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Not to beat the issue to death but do check Peters Brothers on FaceBook.Brad's dad,Joe,passed away some time ago and a "computer friend" volunteered to build them a new website....guess what,dead stand still.
Call and visit them,I have two felts and a Milan from them and am very pleased.

+1

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Well put, Bob. Funny how the world actually and effectively operated before the internet, when person-to-person was the best form of communication, which it still is. I think it's safe to say that we are in an old-school industry, with many players who are "micro-operators," busy at their craft with little or no time (or resources, I.E. $$$) to create and maintain a web site. We should try to understand that aspect of their plight. Or we can prefer a nice website, and only go there.

+1 or in many cases do BOTH!

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Do you have a preferred retailer of those hats? I might try one.

EverythingAustralian usually has the lowest prices, but you have to wait about three months to get most hats from them, which would mean that ordering from them would be too late to get a hat this summer.
AustralianGear and HatsDirect seem to almost always have everything shown on their websites in stock for immediate shipment, but they charge more.
A Google search for a particular hat model will sometimes turn up sale-priced items from elsewhere, as happened to me with my two Akubra polypropylenes recently, which I got for $34.45 US each plus a little less for shipping than most places charge.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been noticing lately that hat makers or vendors of the older generation have websites that tend to be somewhat static and awkward, kind of a "hanging out your shingle" approach, while the younger guys have more engaging, slicker sites with better photos. I suppose it's fairly obvious why this is, but sometimes I wish I could encourage some of the older guys to hire a kid and update their approaches.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Here's my PB hemp strato in the making. I'm quite excited about it. The crown is 4.75" overall. The brim here is 3" but will be cut down to below 2.75". It'll be finished with traditional trim in chocolate brown.
IMG_20150630_124056.jpg IMG_20150630_124050.jpg IMG_20150630_124046.jpg
The crown was originally 5.5" overall but that was more than I asked for and looked more tapered from the front than what I was going for:
IMG_20150630_114933.jpg

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Nyah, is that color called "natural" or is it considered bleached? Thx.
Thanks, Bob. I don't know what they call this hue. It looked more like 'natural' than bleached when I chose it. Either one though will suit my functional needs (my primary focus for hats) and, they'd both look good to me.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
For what little it may be worth, all of my Akubra, Christys of London, and another brand allegedly "natural" and unbleached hemp hats are a considerably darker "straw" color than that very light near white colored hat of Nyah's from PB.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes your right. All the "natural" hemps Ive seen around are all much darker. It does look like "bleached" but it just may b the photos. I don't think its offered in bleach and the "natural" PB shows on FB are darker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana