Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do store security tags damage hats?

nickwellings

New in Town
Should also mention that every hat was €40 except this one...label had been picked off maybe. I'd pay €5-10, max!

Shops for second hand or vintage clothing usually have hats as a secondary item and they will probably not be the biggest selling items. It's all about the quick turnover and the salespeople will not be the highest paid exployees, so they don't know and don't care about the hats.

Don't do this...

Pierce the security tag through the crown of the hat. Upon removing it, there's a big hole right on the top of the hat!

Witnessed in a Paris store...about 100 hats, all ruined imo!

This one was €30.....
I purchased a hat on Ebay and discovered it had been pierced. Came up with a nifty fix.....I have a selection of Winchester felt swatches with a hole punch ...punched a hole in a matching felt coloured swatch and with a small dab of glue placed the felt dot in the hole in the hat.....a slight bit of sanding and the hole is not noticeable at all.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
gb_closeup-resized-600.png

Actual photo of me seeing this post.

how does someone not know they are not only completely devaluing the merchandise but pushing otherwise interested patrons away

seems like pure laziness to me ... there are better ways to go about this
Common sense isn't as common as it used to be. Also, my guess is this was done by someone who isn't getting paid much and really doesn't care. If I were the store owner that person wouldn't be working there any longer.

Shops for second hand or vintage clothing usually have hats as a secondary item and they will probably not be the biggest selling items.
If that's what this was, was a second hand & vintage clothing shop then their biggest customer base is theatrical & costume people, not hat collectors. On stage the dirt & damage done doesn't even show. That explains a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24