Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do these leather gloves look like a poor fit?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I just purchased a pair of Dents leather driving gloves, and after trying them on noticed an issue with how they fit. I notice extra space in the fingertips/thumb area. I saw videos for leather gloves claiming that there shouldn't be extra space at the tips, and that this means the gloves fit all wrong. Is it a dealbreaker to have the gloves fit this way? This was an item i really wanted and I couldn't even really find alternatives. Would it break the look to have it a bit off like that or not? Similar to how a piece of clothing may not fit perfectly but is still ok, as opposed to it not and ruining the look they're supposed to have. I also considered trying to find fingerless gloves as an alternative, because unfortunately I have this same fitting issue with most gloves I've tried on, including winter gloves, which makes me suspect I have odd length fingers or something.

here are some photos showing what I mean, i can't show both at the same time since I didn't want to take the tags off or anything in case I need to return them:

RxrMIQj.png

h7rmfuC.png

jTxZnak.png

fdrmyBb.jpg

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
That thumb is the deal breaker for me.
It looks like a Martian hand.
Totally out of proportion with the rest of the hand.

I'd rather a pair of gloves be slightly on the large size for comfort. As they break in they will stretch slightly too....so there's that.

I put on the new pair of gloves then use the other hand to push the material between the fingers down into the palm. This process will possibly take away some of the surplus in the fingertips.

Bottom line remains that they don't fit you properly. I trip about stuff like that. I'll never enjoy them. Every time I put them on I'll be stuck thinking about the poor fit.

Nice gloves though.

Edward

Bartender
I find many gloves that otherwise fit me are just a touch longer than would be perfect, though usually they seem somehow to snug up to fit me after a bit of wear. These don't look to be all that bad from what I see in the photos, though if they actually driving gloves you intended to wear while driving a car (rather than to keep yer paws warm out and about generally), a neater fit might be preferable. If they otherwise fit but you have this same length-related issue with a lot of other gloves, I'm not sure exchanging them would necessarily gain anything. I suppose you could try the hot water treatment and then wear them til dry, though that's a risk as of course you couldn't return them after that.

For me if a glove meant for driving does not fit me snugly then I won't wear them. When driving with gloves I still want the same feel as I would have bare handed. If the glove fingers are too long then the gloves just seem to get in the way of the 'feel' of the wheel. Deal breaker for me.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
You could also look into something called cadet sizes for gloves. It is a different ratio of finger length to palm size than for typical gloves. You might fit better into a cadet size, but it may be different from your typical glove size number. Everything I could find currently online about cadet gloves refers to golf gloves, but it was my understanding that this is a general alternative form of glove sizes.

ediamond

New in Town
I find Dents to fit a full size larger than gloves made in Asia and imported, or German gloves. Normally I am a 10-10.5 in Hesta, but 9.5 in Dents, (and that’s bordering on large)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch