Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you Cthulhu much!?

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
flat-top said:
Thanks guys! Panache, I think I'll go for The Best of H.P. Lovecraft.
Some Amazon reviews say that Lovecraft is a difficult read. What do you guys think?

I would say he is a difficult read because he doesn't necessarily tell stories with dialogue and play-by-play descriptions. He "sets the mood" more than he "sets the scene", so it can be a little hard to translate his writing into a story board, which is how we think about stories normally.

But he can definitely set a mood!

Story

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
None that I'm aware of. I really think he'll appreciate the style of that movie, so I just want to add something that compliments.

So what did you pick and how did that go over?

/ See also:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/her...njures-up-the-dark-magic-of-hp-lovecraft.html

Jack Scorpion said:
I would say he is a difficult read because he doesn't necessarily tell stories with dialogue and play-by-play descriptions. He "sets the mood" more than he "sets the scene", so it can be a little hard to translate his writing into a story board, which is how we think about stories normally.

Wonder how this play did.

If the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “lovestruck” is mind-crushing terror on a vast cosmic scale, you may have some emotional issues.

Or you may be the perfect target audience for Lovestruck: A Romantic Comedy Set in the Horrific World of H.P. Lovecraft.

“I thought, isn’t it silly that he writes horror stories, but his name is Lovecraft?” asks Andrey Summers, writer and director of the play’s current incarnation onstage at UBC’s Dorothy Somerset Studio. Despite the verbal similarities, the connection between romantic comedy and the works of H.P. Lovecraft might not be immediately apparent.

http://ubyssey.ca/culture/?p=10881

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Story said:
So what did you pick and how did that go over?
Well, I didn't actually do this yet! It was gonna be a Christmas gift, but I found something else that I already bought. I may do the Lovecraft thing for his birthday gift however, so once again, thanks guys for all of your insight!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jenny_dreadful said:
I just noticed that I'm the only girl geeky enough to be in this thread.

Well MAYBE if it wasn't in the MOVIES subsection... :mad: ;)

Is it far too late to join? Especially if you are the sort of person who shows up but doesn't know how to play?

Panache

A-List Customer
I just read the anthology "The Shadow over Baker Street" with stories by modern authors pitting the amazing mind of the Great Detective against the awesome powers of the Great Old Ones.

While I can't rave about all the stories "A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman is absolutely brilliant! A must for Sherlock Holmes and H.P. Lovecraft fans alike!

Cheers

Jamie

Story

I'll Lock Up
Look at all the pretty, pretty boxes ...
LostConfiguration01.jpg

..at the Pyramid Gallery
4602 Barker Blvd, NY, NY
http://www.pyramid-gallery.com/index.html#Col3

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Whatever happened with the RPG you folks were trying to start. We did a few (non-mythical) pen-and-paper RPGs in highschool set in Vietnam and during Pershing's expedition against Pancho Villa in 1916, but my one foray into the D&D realm fizzled out because we basically got too old for it (I was in the midst of re-writing a D&D scenario to be set in 1920s China).

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy