Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Love Platform Shoes?

Inky

One Too Many
I couldn't find a thread specifically on platforms and I saw something today that made me think of some fantastic platforms of the past. I love the crazy platform shoes worn by Carmen Miranda, but I've never seen anything like this!

These were stage shoes for the fabulous Mae West from the 1950's:

6a01156f47abbe970c0120a5386a35970c-800wi

article here: http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/mae-west/

How about you - do you have any platform shoes?

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I love about a 1" platform. The really high platforms are too much for me. I have no problem walking in a 1" platform but beyond that I have to focus too much of my attention on not falling off the platform to enjoy wearing the shoes.lol I do have quite a few pairs of platform shoes. Some of them are with ankle straps and some are not.

KatieD

New in Town
Platforms

Those shoes are crazy! Mae West was a titch so I reckon they were made to go under a full length gown with just the bottoms sticking out so they looked 'normal'. I certainly wouldn't put it past her as she did go to extreme measures - like the story of her being pushed around on a trolley for the filming of her last move 'Sex' as she couldn't walk very well.

Katie

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Oh I love platforms all right, but more in the clunky 70s glam rock kind of way. Well, any kind of platform really. The higher the better (...as my motto goes). I'm only 5'2", so. Preferably something in leopard or zebra print, metallic, sequined, or at the very least, a bold colour!

Emer

One of the Regulars
Those are hideous!! lol I like stacked platforms, but I agree that after about an inch or two, I tend to fall off of them. I actually cracked an ankle bone from walking in those ridiculous platform tennis shoes The Spice Girls made so popular back in the 90's.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Those are very interesting! They appeal to a specific taste, though ;)

I love espadrilles like Lauren Bacall's in Key Largo. I have a pair similar with black ribbons that lace up the leg. Need to get a photo...

NicknNora

A-List Customer
get_atomized said:
Oh I love platforms all right, but more in the clunky 70s glam rock kind of way. Well, any kind of platform really. The higher the better (...as my motto goes). I'm only 5'2", so. Preferably something in leopard or zebra print, metallic, sequined, or at the very least, a bold colour!

I have a pair of clunky black and white patent leather shoes. I've never worn them. I love the black and white (gangster looking) but the clunkiness is too much for me. I bought them online and in the photos they didn't look as clunky as they were in person, either that or I just was not paying attention that day.[huh] Maybe one day I'll put them in the Classified section for you.:)

I found the exact pair on ebay but it's a live auction so I can't post a link.

The shoe was made by T.U.K. Here is a link to their site. They don't have the shoe I bought but they have lots of higher platform shoes and some smaller platforms.

Here's a pair that some of you who love tattoos might like.

A7453L.jpg

A7471L.jpg

Here's two of their platforms.

A7464L.jpg

A6259L.jpg

edited to correct spelling of tattoo. I always leave off one of the "t's" :eusa_doh:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
NicknNora said:
Iit's a live auction so I can't post a link.

The shoe was made by T.U.K. Here is a link to their site. They don't have the shoe I bought but they have lots of higher platform shoes and some smaller platforms.
I had tried to forget this site existed, in hopes of saving some money, but you had to bring it up. I am in love with just about every shoe on their site.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KatieD said:
Those shoes are crazy! Mae West was a titch so I reckon they were made to go under a full length gown with just the bottoms sticking out so they looked 'normal'. I certainly wouldn't put it past her as she did go to extreme measures - like the story of her being pushed around on a trolley for the filming of her last move 'Sex' as she couldn't walk very well.

Katie

Yeah. These are definitely shoes meant NOT to be seen other than just the toe/bottom sticking out a bit.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
I had tried to forget this site existed, in hopes of saving some money, but you had to bring it up. I am in love with just about every shoe on their site.
lol Sorry about that.:eusa_doh:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I want a pair of clear platform heels with interchangeable ribbons like Marilyn Monroe had. That way I can coordinate for the cost of ribbons instead of shoes (...and with my 8W or 9 regular I don't have the range of shoes I would like...) does anybody know where I can get a pair? You'll be a lifesaver!

raven_retro

New in Town
Viola said:
I want a pair of clear platform heels with interchangeable ribbons like Marilyn Monroe had. That way I can coordinate for the cost of ribbons instead of shoes (...and with my 8W or 9 regular I don't have the range of shoes I would like...) does anybody know where I can get a pair? You'll be a lifesaver!

http://www.mohop.com/collection/collection.htm

They're not clear, but they're awfully cute.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Foofoogal said:
I used to wear them when they liked me. lol

Those Mae West shoes are hands down the ugliest shoes I have ever, ever laid my born eyes on.
Never could figure out her allure except she was so bawdy at a time when most were not. She was not even a bit pretty IMHO. :eusa_doh:

http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Those shoes make perfect sense to me. She had very small feet -- and she was top-heavy.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Viola said:
Ebay. Just search for "clear lace up platforms".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails