Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you use conditioner?

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I suppose it all depends on how heavy your hair is naturally and what kind of condition it's in. If you have very thick healthy hair, and use a heavy conditioner then there is a possiblilty that it might 'pull' the curl out of your hair by weighing it down. But as I bleach my hair and use a very hot curling iron, I condition religiously, and manage to keep my hair nice and curly anyway using setting lotion and hairspray.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I think there is a lot of magic and voodoo when it comes to finding your perfect remedy for keeping your hair in good condition or able to hold curl. For myself - if I were to naturally let my hair dry (which is great for it) it will not hold a curl to save it's life and looks limp and disgusting. However if I blow it dry and then heat set it (horrible treatment) it loves me for some reason and is shiny and holds the curl for days. If I want to do a wet set it's actually better for me to dampen day old (product laced) hair. I find that in one week - I treat it a little differently, set it differently and give it a day off. That seems to keep it from falling out of my noggin or breaking into a million pieces. I also find that hot rollers=good and curling irons=bad for me. Many years of big bangs damage has been repaired by switching almost exclusively to rollers and heavy conditioners.

No matter what though - I condition the heck out of it. I love the Matrix Smoothing conditioner and have found absolutely nothing like it. Feels like salon hair if you know what I mean.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I've gone back to using conditioner, and my hair holds a curl as well as ever. I'm almost a little mad at that 40's do instructor... but thanks to you ladies I have no real reason to be.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
alexandra said:
When I was younger I hated it because I didn't know how to work with it. I was known for having ugly hair so much that a girl I knew called me this year and asked if I still had ugly hair haha.

Now that I understand it, I appreciate it...except when I'm in England. When I'm in England I step off the plane and the humidity explodes my hair into ugly and I'm back in grade 7 again haha.

oh me too! I was teased in primary school and high school!

Now I am an adult - i get lots of compliments - espescially since I know how to treat it better and therefore its usually kinder to me :)

I wouldnt swap it for anything! Though Id love it to grow faster!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I use conditioner about twice a week.I can't use it every time i shampoo, nor can i leave it out of my regime completely.My hair gets too crispy:)

Smuterella

One Too Many
I couldn't be without conditioner, I really couldn't, but then my hair is bleached and has been for as long as I can remember (I think the last time I saw my natural hair colour I was about 10...)

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I condition a couple times a week because I cover gray and it dries my hair.
Plus I swim at the Y and God knows they use enough chlorine to treat ten swimming pools.
AND I set wet with setting lotion.
I know, I know, shame on me.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aw, no , whatever works, your hair looks so smooth and shiny and I love the flower.
I also use Alberto VO5 that comes in the tube or tub, or Clairol Vitapointe that comes in the tub, or Wildroot on the days I don't wash my hair with conditioning shampoo and conditioner afterwards. Dry, I tell ya. That picture of me in my avatar was one of my most famous good hair days. :eek:

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
See that's the thing, everyone has different hair and you have to do what works for you. That means trying and failing and trying again and having more bad hair days than you can count untill you find the right combination that works.

Blondie

Practically Family
If i didn't use conditioner i wouldn't be able to get a comb through my hair,
think STRAW for hair after years and years and years of bleaching.
I nearly always let mine dry naturally as my hair doesn't need any more damage from heated appliances.
But i am growing it out now, so all the above could change at anytime .

Antje

One Too Many
I always use conditioner, because otherwise my hair looks like diana ross on a really bad hairday, or that's what i tell myself.
I shampoo sometimes but most of the time i can only wash my hair with conditioner.
At the moment I'm out of settinglotion so I made it myself with a tablespoon of gel mixed with some water in a spraybottle and it worked

Sachet

Familiar Face
Real Swell Gal said:
See that's the thing, everyone has different hair and you have to do what works for you. That means trying and failing and trying again and having more bad hair days than you can count untill you find the right combination that works.

Well said, Real Swell Gal. :) I totally agree....whatever works for each individual.

I condition everyday. Have to with my curls or my hair would be all over the place. On rainy days when my hair tends to be more contrary I even use a little bit of spray leave-in conditioner to tame it.

I'm just glad that we have so many products available to suit everyone.

...Sachet

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
I am always wary of instructions that say don't do this and always do that. There are many ways to accomplish a set which is evident from all the different ways we do our hair.

I either do a completely wet overnight set, or a damp set for several hours. I always get better results with a wet set. I have never done a dry set. It just doesn't work for me. Neither do heated styling methods. Twenty minutes later, it's limp as can be!

I always condition my hair. It's very damaged and I can always feel the difference. My hair is easier to work with when conditioned and easier to get a comb through. I do however, usually only condition the ends.

I do use a setting lotion.

Don't just try one way. Try them all! Everyone's hair behaves differently. I would take the course as a guideline rather than being set in stone. I read through the thread and see that you're already trying different ways. Good for you! You'll nail down your own perfect technique.

lillielil

Familiar Face
If I'm going to do a wet set, I don't use conditioner. I find setting lotion to be very conditioning, and as long as I use a wide-toothed comb to detangle before doing anything else, I don't have problems with tangles. If I'm not going to set my hair, I use conditioner on the ends. I have very fine hair, but lots of it, and conditioners can weigh it down.

Then again, I often wash my hair with (homemade, detergent free) soap instead of shampoo, so what works for me might not work for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot