Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

B

BAZ

I am SO happy "Donna" has gone!!!
Catherine Tate is abysmal. A crap "comedian" and an annoying "companion".
Tennant is particularly excellent, tho a trite self important I think.
Being a Dr Who fan for........actaully, forEVER!....... I do like the new series.
Although, I could do without the Slithhenn ever again.,
Moffat just said he's gona be making new enemies for the Dr.
GOOD!!!!
As much as I LOVE Daleks, Cybermen etc, there's a whle galaxy out there
of antagonists for him to meet.
The Zygons, tho, WERE one of my faves.
Them and the Sea Devils!!!
Oh, and my mate "killed" Jon Pertwee.

B

BAZ

Edward said:
I felt my suspicions entirely confirmed by the dreadful McGann TV movie, which was a US/UK co-operative production.
Erm....it wasn't that bad!!! And I'm not biased as McGann's Mum is a friend of my wife!!

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
BAZ said:
I am SO happy "Donna" has gone!!!
Catherine Tate is abysmal. A crap "comedian" and an annoying "companion".
Tennant is particularly excellent, tho a trite self important I think.
Being a Dr Who fan for........actaully, forEVER!....... I do like the new series.
Although, I could do without the Slithhenn ever again.,
Moffat just said he's gona be making new enemies for the Dr.
GOOD!!!!
As much as I LOVE Daleks, Cybermen etc, there's a whle galaxy out there
of antagonists for him to meet.
The Zygons, tho, WERE one of my faves.
Them and the Sea Devils!!!
Oh, and my mate "killed" Jon Pertwee.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I don't know anything about Catherine Tate so won't comment on that. I like Tennant as the Dr. and I think the self importance kind of fits. If you were the last remaining Time Lord and had done everything the Dr. has done, you'd probably get a little like that as well. :)

And I agree they need to stop bringing back the Daleks every time they want a big season finale. How many times do we have to watch them defeat all of them so there are none left in the universe....except that little group hiding between dimensions or maybe they were over behind that tree...or somewhere.

And did Rose Tyler get new dentures and have her jaw wired shut before she shot her scenes?

Eyemo

Practically Family
A lot of UK Viewers found Cathrine Tate Annoying...With myself and my partner Tracy very high on that list...

B

BAZ

Beowulf67 said:
And did Rose Tyler get new dentures and have her jaw wired shut before she shot her scenes?
I KNOW!!! me and my wife were like "What happened to her!!??!"

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Classic Doctor Who!

I just got the DVD of Genesis of the Daleks and was impressed all over again with Davros, whose threatening rants and calm, committed rationalizations still resonate with me as an adult viewer just as it did on a "scary" level to me as a nine-year-old watching this episode back in 1980. Sure, the "epic" part of the story is somewhat lost with the low budget sets but my imagination (and the novelization!) fill in those blanks anyway.

Michael Wisher! He was as perfect a villain as Davros as I've ever seen in a Doctor Who story and they really should have left him dead after Genesis, as he was never as effective when played by other actors.

Another thing I like about the Genesis DVD is the PDF document of the 1976 Doctor Who Annual. Annuals are great, especially during this time frame, when every British show seemed to publish a fun annual. Too bad American shows didn't have such things. The 1976 Doctor Who Annual is simply bee-yoo-tee-full.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Okay, I just finished series four and ended up in my room, crying at the finale. Again. I am handing in my 'badass' card, because so far every single Doctor Who finale has made me cry.

I liked Donna. She was ginger and loud and most importantly, didn't fall in love with the Doctor.

Edward

Bartender
I think that the reason Tate was unpopular with a lot of folks over here was that they couldn't get away from the mental association of her with her risible self-titled comedy sketch show. In my opinion, Donna wasn't that bad a character. Could have been so much better had they not so obviously shoe-horned in bits of script designed to give her the "comedy shouty bits" common in all her own characters. I agree, though - a sidekick who didn't in any way fancy the doctor was long, long overdue. I much preferred Donna to Rose, actually - especially since they brought Rose back. I was also much more irritated by the appearance of Kylie Minogue in Doctor Who than Tate.

Oh.... and redheads are always welcome round my way! ;)

Warden

One Too Many
Newly released documents, which reveal the 1960s conception of Doctor Who, show how nervous the BBC was about producing a sci-fi show, writes Tom Geoghegan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7736130.stm

Plus adding this to the thread gives me a wonderful excuse to show a picture of the orginal Doctor.

Harry

_45219570_hartnell_466.jpg

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I'm a massive Doctor Who fan even though I'm trapped in the wilds of North America where there are commercial breaks 4 times an episode and my copy of Doctor Who Monthly is always two month late :(

I liked Donna A LOT. I wasn't exposed to Catherine Tate's sketch comedy, so looking at her strictly from a Doctor Who perspective she was the most refreshing companion since...I don't know who...Dodo? Leela? Can you name another companion who talked back to the Doctor like that and still seemed to have a good time? Her character was truly unique in the history of the show. She is at the top of my list of favorite companions (after Ian and Barbra who almost don't count because it was such a different show in the first season).

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Oh, how did I miss this thread...I have been watching Doctor Who for as long as I can remember. Many people over the years have given me odd looks when I mention being a fan....their loss. As I type this i look up and see the key to time adventure (DVD) above my monitor.

Favorite companion....boy that's hard many were fun

Josephine

One Too Many
Mahagonny Bill said:
I liked Donna A LOT. I wasn't exposed to Catherine Tate's sketch comedy, so looking at her strictly from a Doctor Who perspective she was the most refreshing companion ...

I liked Donna too, though I wanted to shake her when Jenny-Sue came around and then smack the sappy look off her face when Rose showed up. :rage: :rage:

ok, I'm usually not this violent, really...

B

BAZ

That Children In Need clip is AWESOME!!! The "Viva Backpool" reunion!!!

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Warden said:

ooh harry!!

rather him than one of the other "rumours" that it may be rose!! (was it me or had her mouth/teeth grown and dominated in the xmas special!!)
i really liked catherine tate as his companion, im not over keen on her comedy show but thought her great in Dr Who, for ALL the reasons already discussed.
id much rather the docter be man! and will miss david Tennant, saying that weve another yr of him and i do understand why he wants to go..[huh]

anabolina

A-List Customer
I was so annoyed by Cathrine Tate in that first Christmas special(never seen that other show), I did even bother watching last season(and I remember being so excited when the new series was announced), although a companion that doesn't go all doe-eyed over the doctor is a welcome change.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
anabolina said:
I was so annoyed by Cathrine Tate in that first Christmas special(never seen that other show), I did even bother watching last season(and I remember being so excited when the new series was announced), although a companion that doesn't go all doe-eyed over the doctor is a welcome change.

must admit i wasnt that keeen of her in that episode but as the storyline developed got to like her!!

Edward

Bartender
I think a black or other non-white Doctor would be a good move. Seems to me that if a TimeLord's DNA allows him to totally change appearance ot the degree he does when he regenerates, then why can't skin colour?

The rumour I really hate is the idea of the doctor being a woman - any woman. That, to my mind, would be rank tokenism and would make no sense.

The other possibility I really liked was it being John Simm (Sam Tyler in the original Life on Mars), who appeared as the Master opposite Tennant.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The Master - the only other surviving Gallifreyan - dying in his arms had such an emotional impact on the Doctor, that it wouldn't be inconceivable to me that when he next regenerated he resembled the Master in his Simms guise. Could also lead to some 'mistaken identity' plotline...

LordBest

Practically Family
There are Time Lords and Time Ladies, so for the Doctor to regenerate as woman would be completely uncanonical, I can not imagine it happening.
The last I heard was that the frontrunners for the role of Eleventh Doctor are Robert Carlyle and David Morissey.
Time Lords have races and ethnicities too, so changing the Doctors ethnicity may be a bit extreme as well, not that I would have any objection to it so long as the Doctor maintains his eccentric English character.

Spoiler:

Morissey is appearing as 'a' Doctor in the next Christmas special, it remains to be seen whether he is a future incarnation of the Doctor, the next Doctor, or an imposter.

Edward said:
I think a black or other non-white Doctor would be a good move. Seems to me that if a TimeLord's DNA allows him to totally change appearance ot the degree he does when he regenerates, then why can't skin colour?

The rumour I really hate is the idea of the doctor being a woman - any woman. That, to my mind, would be rank tokenism and would make no sense.

The other possibility I really liked was it being John Simm (Sam Tyler in the original Life on Mars), who appeared as the Master opposite Tennant.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

The Master - the only other surviving Gallifreyan - dying in his arms had such an emotional impact on the Doctor, that it wouldn't be inconceivable to me that when he next regenerated he resembled the Master in his Simms guise. Could also lead to some 'mistaken identity' plotline...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy