Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Sincerely-Dee said:
I wasn't aware that Doctor Who was so big in the US.

Refreshing find really...
Unfortunately, to watch it in a timely manner, we all have to go to less than reputable sources, because bbc america is on a ridiculous lag, and the iplayer doesn't work over here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yeps said:
Unfortunately, to watch it in a timely manner, we all have to go to less than reputable sources, because bbc america is on a ridiculous lag, and the iplayer doesn't work over here.

They're getting better, though. The Matt Smith series debuts here only two weeks after it airs in Britain.:eusa_clap It was a much longer delay when it was on the Sci-Fi Channel.

Brad

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
Yeps said:

Oh no that's such a shame!

I hope it doesn't get worse now that the BBC are making cutbacks...

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Last night, I read a fascinating essay in ABOUT TIME 3--"Who's Running the Country?" and in it, author Tat Wood gives we yanks the backstory to Britain's woes during the 1970s; the actions of Wilson, Heath, and Callaghan are all recalled as well as "kingmaker" Jermy Thorpe--the PM is named "Jeremy" in the Pertwee story, The Green Death-- as well as the botched assassination(!) of one of Thorpe's ex-lovers. Anyway, this apparently ties in with how government was represented on Dr Who. However, the real-life happenings are infinitely more interesting--and insane.

These ABOUT TIME books are a wonderful source for Dr Who fans, especially the cultural and historical information. The essays are top notch and the books are written with passion, love, valid criticism, and are great to reference after having watched any given story.

There's a vol. 7 in the works, which will cover the 2005 series. The revised vol 3 has numerous references to seasons 1-4, so vol 7 should be out soon.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
HE'S BACK!

Just watched the first episode of the new season. Matt Smith does a marvelous job as the Doctor, and the new companion is great. I like the look of the new season and am, consequently, very excited.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Yeps said:
Just watched the first episode of the new season. Matt Smith does a marvelous job as the Doctor, and the new companion is great. I like the look of the new season and am, consequently, very excited.
I was surprised how much Matt Smith reminded me of Tenant. I was expecting a very different Doctor. Maybe as the series moves forward he will become more of his own man.

Still, the coming attractions were intense. Daleks and Churchill and Spitfires in space! Oh My! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Always takes a while to get used to the new "Doctor" but I think Matt Smith going to be okay.
He's got the right amount of arrogance and humility to be a great Doctor.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I agree Smith is a bit Tennant-y. But I think he'll grow on me and come into his own. I, personally, prefer the doctors to be quite different, like Tennant was from Eccleston, and Davidson was from Baker. I find that exciting to watch how they will develop a new character yet keep him the same.

I must say, though, I don't (so far) care for the companion... she over acts or something. I also wish there wasn't such a complete feeling of a whole NEW show starting... I also like it when Martha pops up, or Mickey, or SArah Jane, or whoever.

BUT... I can't WAIT to see what's up with Dr. River Song!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Wire9Vintage said:
I agree Smith is a bit Tennant-y. But I think he'll grow on me and come into his own. I, personally, prefer the doctors to be quite different, like Tennant was from Eccleston, and Davidson was from Baker. I find that exciting to watch how they will develop a new character yet keep him the same.
I thought the same at first, but I went back and watched some of the episodes from the last series, and Matt Smith really does give a different character than Tennant did. Hard to explain how, but it is there. They are a bit similar though.

Wire9Vintage said:
I must say, though, I don't (so far) care for the companion... she over acts or something. I also wish there wasn't such a complete feeling of a whole NEW show starting... I also like it when Martha pops up, or Mickey, or SArah Jane, or whoever.

BUT... I can't WAIT to see what's up with Dr. River Song!

Amy Pond is my favorite companion so far, (I have not watched all of the old show, just from when it started back up with with Eccleston.) I like her because she actually acts, which is more than I can say for Rose most of the time. Well, that and she is a redhead.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I like Amy as well. She seems more down-to-earth.

It's strange how the Doctor got angry with her so early into the season...it usually takes them a few weeks to really upset/annoy him.

It'll be interesting to discover his relationship with River.

Those stone angels scare the hell outta me though...

Edward

Bartender
LocktownDog said:
I like the bow tie fashion for Smith. But I gotta say ... I'd love to see Tom Baker's scarf again ... or maybe McCoy's straw hat.

I quite like the overall vibe of the outfit - to me it says an attempt at doing fifties preppy, but it has a few problems for me. The trousers are too skinny, way too low waisted, clip on braces (yuck), and what appears to be a pre-tied bow tie (even if he does fiddle at it on occasion, like a real one, it looks suspiciously uniform in appearance). Perhaps that might be explained by the fact that he found all those bits in the hospital in episode one, but nonetheless I do hope they refine the look over time. I don't expect them to introduce a hat any time soon. If memory serves, Baker's didn't last very long, And McCoy was hardly the most popular of Doctors.... It would be nice to see him in a hat, though. (The young man playing the Doctor now, Matt Smith, has regularly been pictured in the British tabloid press of late wearing a light grey, stingy-brimmed pork pie which suits him well - I would hazard a guess that it's a wool-felt Bailey model). I doubt the scarf will ever make a permanent return to character wardrobe (a one-of appearance would be nice, though), as it was such a key part of a previous Doctor's look.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So, you all know that I went into this season very skeptical. I was ready to bow out of the show all together. I must say that the energy, edginess, and intensity of Matt Smith's performance is very appealing. I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode although it seemed a bit recycled; a little "Girl in the Fireplace" here, a bit of "Blink" a huge dash of "Christmas Invasion." Still, it was very good.

Now to the wardrobe, I rather liked the Raggedy Doctor!

Doctor Who was right, "Bow Ties are cool," but only when you tie them yourself! The red shirt was beautiful. I love the tweed. I like the tailored pants; it makes him look modern. Clip on braces I could do without though the braces are a good idea; you need something to take up the torso real estate that the bow tie leaves in its placement.

I was astonished that we have a Doctor who ahem... OK, a Doctor who dresses like me. That's rather nice.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I was astonished that we have a Doctor who ahem... OK, a Doctor who dresses like me. That's rather nice.
lol I know what you mean. I went out in my tweed jacket the other day, and wondered if I was going to get "Doctor Who" comments ala "Indy" jibes lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:

Last halloween I dressed up as the Eleventh Doctor, sonic screwdriver and all. No one even noticed that I was wearing a costume.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeps said:
Last halloween I dressed up as the Eleventh Doctor, sonic screwdriver and all. No one even noticed that I was wearing a costume.

Mahagonny Bill said:
lol I know what you mean. I went out in my tweed jacket the other day, and wondered if I was going to get "Doctor Who" comments ala "Indy" jibes lol

It's kind of fun, isn't it!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The BBC is marvelous, however, I am incredibly annoyed by BBC America for its stubborn insistence on trying to figure out what shows Americans want instead of just being the same network. Also I dislike the delay on Doctor Who. If we are going to have BBC America, why can't we just have BBC in America?

BinkieBaumont said:
"Off topic i know, but isn't the British BBC wonderful, they create wonderful Televisions shows, some are successfully Hijacked by the USA (the office) others not so (Absolutely Fabulous)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails