Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Tom Baker wore a fedora, and It according to Herbert Johnson (I called them) was supplied by them.

I'm going on a road trip today to see some Daleks.

Now that's my style \/

65.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I caught the new "Doctor Who" on SciFi last night and I was impressed. I watched the episode where the earth was ending and people had gathered to watch. That was OK. The Doctor does something rather un-doctor like in my opinion.

But Eccleston is pretty good: edgy, but still a little goofy.

Then I saw the one with the dead rising and Charles Dickens. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It reminded me of the old series.

I was also very happy to hear the old theme music.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Yes, the theme music though shortened, is really worth the listen.

I hope they don't just stick to Earth.

The old show rarely did.

Unless you were watching most of the Pertwee episodes where he was exiled to Earth! Actually, there ARE a lot of episodes related to Earth in the original series, now that I think of it, though I, too, would love to see him on other planets.

As for the theme music, I don't think it has been shortened. They put in the two extra opening bars which were present in the VERY original opening theme but dropped by the time the Tom Baker years rolled along. They have picked up the tempo on it, though, which may give it the feeling of it beeing shorter. (There's an actual site I've seen which talks specifically about all the versions of the theme music from episode one to the end of the original series.)

As for this good Doctor showing a darker side, I think it makes sense as you discover more about what happened to the Time Lords and how it affected him personally. Can't say I totally blame him after that.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
I have all the theme versions on my computer, and I must say there is alot of the melody left out... though I'm sure that's because the format doesn't allow for long title music.

Are you talking about the theme use for the opening or closing credits? I know when I've seen most episodes via Canadian broadcast, the end credits are sped up to allow advertizing for what's on next. I'm not sure how they're doing it here in the U.S. since I don't have cable and can't get the Sci-Fi channel. The opening theme was always shorter than the closers, with the "middle melody" seldom used at the beginning, from what I remember. No matter, I still like what they've done with it. ;)

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
The themes I didn't like were during the Colin Baker and McCoy years. It just got plain silly at that point. I like that they harkened back to the original in the new series. But it's very cool in about any format, I agree.

If you want to read about how they created the original theme music, here's some entertaining reading:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Mark_Ayres/DWTheme.htm

There being no "synthesisers", the Workshop needed a source of electronic sound. They found this in a bank of twelve high-quality test tone generators, the usual function of which was to output various tones (square waves, sine waves) for passing through electronic circuits for testing gain, distortion and so on. They also had a couple of high-quality equalisers (again, test equipment - equalisers, or "tone controls", were not that easy to come by at the time) and a few other gadgets including a "wobbulator" (a low frequency oscillator) and a white noise generator.

They went through a LOT of trouble, but MAN, was it worth it!

V For Vixen

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
I want them to explain too. I need to revisit the old series.

This Doctor is very London street clothes of today, while all the past Doctors wore clothes that were timeless!

Hi Matt!

The next Doctor's dress sense is rather more "timeless" - you'll see what I mean when you get the next series with David Tennant.

If you're still on the Eccleston series, look out for the WWII two-parter! Some good fx, and - as Rick says - some pooky-ooky moments!! And - okay - a dish of a boy in blue!

Vix
xxx

TheRetropolitan

New in Town
My girlfriend just got caught up on the new "Doctor Who" series -- which, for a girl that constantly mocks my taste in sci-fi and horror, is pretty amazing. I like the show quite a bit, and it's growing on me now. More than that, I'm totally hooked on the theme song. I tried finding a copy of the latest theme online, only to discover an entire sub-internet devoted to remixing the Who theme.

Strange, but fun nonetheless.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Time to revisit this...

Has anyone seen the new episodes with Martha Jones? I think she is great.

David Tennant continues to impress me in the part. I think he is the best since, Oh, I don't know, at least Eccleston and maybe even, yes, Tom Baker.

And because I am the biggest geek in the world, I am so impressed that the theme music includes that little variation that popped in late in the Tom Baker years. Just about everything in this show is right to me.

I thought I'd share. :)

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I'm loving the new girl Martha, I think I actually prefer her to Rose. The first episode for this series was a little.. dull. Hoping it picks up in the next few. I liked the second episode more than I thought I would.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
TheKitschGoth said:
I'm loving the new girl Martha, I think I actually prefer her to Rose. The first episode for this series was a little.. dull. Hoping it picks up in the next few. I liked the second episode more than I thought I would.
The interplay between the Doctor and Martha made the first show for me. The story was OK. The scenes with her family were especially good. Martha has a lot of charisma and seems like a good match for The Doctor. I do prefer her to Rose, though those final scenes between Rose and the Doctor were surprisingly touching.

I am looking forward to seeing The Shakespeare episode. I haven't seen it yet. I think it's the second episode.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I was very happy with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, and Christopher Eccleston left, which was a disappointment but I could still deal since there was still Rose at least, but now I'm seeing Billie Piper going? Hmmm...too few episodes with those two. This is too much change too fast, for my taste. I may give it a chance but...not sure what to think. I got hooked on that line up.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lee Lynch said:
I was very happy with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, and Christopher Eccleston left, which was a disappointment but I could still deal since there was still Rose at least, but now I'm seeing Billie Piper going? Hmmm...too few episodes with those two. This is too much change too fast, for my taste. I may give it a chance but...not sure what to think. I got hooked on that line up.
Give it a chance, David Tennant is great. There is even an episode with David Tennant and "Sarah Jane Smith!"

Warden

One Too Many
Doctor Who goes back to the 1930s New York

The Daleks will feature in a two-part story set in 1930s New York, featuring David Tennant as the Doctor with his new assistant played by Freema Agyeman.

_41061643_dalek_300.jpg

See BBC news report here

Warden

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Who on the SciFi Channel

I'm watching The Lazarus Experiment--I never understood why someone would hide behind the couch watching Doctor Who but I'm practically doing it myself with the monster in this episode--eek. So strange to see Who with high production values, but great! Anybody else following Who?

Also, I did a search for a string on this but found none. If I overlooked one please feel free to merge this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner