Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Documentaries

Flivver

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
Better not do that -- I just heard that the VHS set is going for $450 from sellers!!! Individual tapes are going for pretty high prices, too! I'm glad I got mine back in the day when it was only $70!! lol

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea it had gone out of print and had become so expensive. I think I got my set back in 1998. I wonder if we'll ever see it on DVD?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Flivver said:
I wonder if we'll ever see it on DVD?

From what I've heard, it was supposed to have a PAL DVD release in '05 or '06, but it never came into being because of copyright issues.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
A few of my favorites are "Memphis Belle" "Thunderbolt" "Ramrod to Emden". There was another one about an RAF Lancaster crew, very similar to "Memphis Belle" but i cant remember its name. something like "S for Sugar" or something like that.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:
I have so many.

Any documentary aired on TCM! It also goes without saying that Hollywood (1980) and Cinema Europe (1996) are two of my all-time favourite docs.

Of course !!! those two are a must in anybody's collection of documentaries of the era!!! I have them both and love them to pieces!!! :D :eusa_clap

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
By Les Blank:
Burden of Dreams, about the making of (and better than) Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo.
In Heaven There Is No Beer? I love Polka.
All of his documentaries are worth seeing, even if you have no interest in the subject.

I love Orson Welles:
F for Fake
It's All True

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you're going to count "This Is Spinal Tap", don't forget the FIRST brilliant bogus rockumentary which preceded it by several years - "The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash"!

Eric Idle as interviewer: "We're here in New Orleans to show just how expensive it is to make these documentaries." (!!!)

And anybody with even a vague interest in cinematography should be on the lookout for "Visions of Light".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24