Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does 4oz hide from Aero exist?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Too picky? A man simply asking the thickest 4oz hide, that's it, and I never said I will return it if it doesn't comes out with the result I want, especially now I aware there is risk that you can be banned from returning jacket.
If that's exactly how you asked, and they said no, they don't have it, then you have your answer. I've read that they moved away from the very heavy hides, as they were difficult to work with, and likely it was overkill for most people's needs. I'm sure there is a market for such heavy stuff, I like it very well myself. But if they decided to move away from it, it's problematic for them to source the occasional extra heavy hides for a custom order, due to the economics of it. It's one thing if they stock it all the time and can pull it from the shelf. If they have to order a specific color/recipe for a specific order in that heavy weight, they'll likely have to eat the cost of all the waste left over, because no one else will put in an order that will make use of it. So I can understand why they'll decline a request for it, even if they're techncially capable. It's just not worth it to them. Now, I guess if you really wanted to have your way and were willing to pay extra, they could probably do it, but to make it worth their while you'd probably be looking at at least a 2x markup, not a "reasonable" markup of say 20%.

Hh121

Banned
Not that one I won't.
tenor.gif
Only if it is my size, then
158B2766-FA57-4380-9CC3-91DA9641B0D2.gif

I think that's precisely what Langlitz has done? I believe they are "steering" (see what I did there) customers to their more moderate 3.5oz "medium" weight.

Hh121

Banned
If that's exactly how you asked, and they said no, they don't have it, then you have your answer. I've read that they moved away from the very heavy hides, as they were difficult to work with, and likely it was overkill for most people's needs. I'm sure there is a market for such heavy stuff, I like it very well myself. But if they decided to move away from it, it's problematic for them to source the occasional extra heavy hides for a custom order, due to the economics of it. It's one thing if they stock it all the time and can pull it from the shelf. If they have to order a specific color/recipe for a specific order in that heavy weight, they'll likely have to eat the cost of all the waste left over, because no one else will put in an order that will make use of it. So I can understand why they'll decline a request for it, even if they're techncially capable. It's just not worth it to them. Now, I guess if you really wanted to have your way and were willing to pay extra, they could probably do it, but to make it worth their while you'd probably be looking at at least a 2x markup, not a "reasonable" markup of say 20%.
Yes, that's more like an answer(Than excuse) I am looking for, thanks.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I think that's precisely what Langlitz has done? I believe they are "steering" (see what I did there) customers to their more moderate 3.5oz "medium" weight.

I'm sure Langlitz, Aero, Vanson, and even Lost Worlds probably deal with a fair number of customers who think they want super-heavy leather until they actually get it, and then realize that they really got more than they bargained for, and end up less than satisfied. It's a pretty common thing for people to want to out-do each other for the sake of it, rather than out of any practical need, and in all honesty sometimes it's detrimental to practicality. You see this a lot, for example, in motorcycle engine displacements, revolver chamberings, the size of nuclear arsenals, and things of that nature.

I'm sure Langlitz, Aero, Vanson, and even Lost Worlds probably deal with a fair number of customers who think they want super-heavy leather until they actually get it, and then realize that they really got more than they bargained for, and end up less than satisfied. It's a pretty common thing for people to want to out-do each other for the sake of it, rather than out of any practical need, and in all honesty sometimes it's detrimental to practicality. You see this a lot, for example, in motorcycle engine displacements, revolver chamberings, the size of nuclear arsenals, and things of that nature.
I seem to recall the burden on the machinists hands being the primary reason. I had a few email exchanges with Scott and at the time that was why they were moving away from it. Plus it's apparently much harder on the sewing machines and needles too.

Hh121

Banned
Aero will always be my first choice, something special about their product, it is not about pattern or horween hide....., something undescribable

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
While I voice my concerns with my Aero jackets as much as with the product of any other company, I do like my Aero jackets very much and surely will end up with a cordovan colored one eventually. Keep coming back to this color.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It must have been five years ago that I last saw super heavy steer at Aero. It was light tan and had been made into a Hippy Jacket (if you remember those). It was a beast-and-a-half, but I remember Ken's attitude being that this sort of weight was just not really in demand, so it wouldn't surprise me if Aero doesn't have it in stock nowadays.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And I thought the discussion started out about jackets

jonbuilder

earlier 2000s I brought a few jackets from Aeros' sales page. The only jacket I ever returned was one that was made from"luggage weight leather" in a barnstormer pattern. I was refunded all costs including shipping two ways.

born113

One of the Regulars
I own two old Aero real 4 oz plus steerhide jackets and they are hilariously heavy, very different beast to todays steerhide. Much waxier, thicker.
Could you show a photo of your jackets? Maybe there are already these photos somewhere on this forum? I would be very grateful for the pictures.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My question is does Aero specifically ask Horween to made lighter hide (3-3.5oz), because first, it is much easier for machinist to make a jacket from a thinner leather.
I know this is an old thread, but it just got bumped and I about fell out of my chair at the idea that 3-3.5oz is a lightweight hide.

Aloysius

IMO the OP should get the SXL or CHL hides that Five Star is selling, which is what western jacket enthusiasts have been demanding from every maker. (This is not a knock on Five Star; they are extremely customer oriented.)

OP, you can find the leather in the Five Star thread here. I think it meets your weight and thickness requirements.

I think Ton had the 5+ oz one?

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
IMO the OP should get the SXL or CHL hides that Five Star is selling, which is what western jacket enthusiasts have been demanding from every maker. (This is not a knock on Five Star; they are extremely customer oriented.)

OP, you can find the leather in the Five Star thread here. I think it meets your weight and thickness requirements.

I think Ton had the 5+ oz one?
Thank you, here is a comparison.
26AAB031-4E61-44C7-80A0-CEFB1CBE6633.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy