Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anybody recognize this brand?

DonBowl

New in Town
Hello,
I recently came across this unassuming looking hat that peaked my interest when I saw the brand name.
The name was on the brittle leather sweatband and it read "Kentley Prep, Genuine Fur Felt" as you can see in the picture.

Kentley Prep.png

Despite this, i've made attempts at trying to find any information about it to no avail.
So i'm curious to know if anybody knows anything about this hats' brand. I assume it could be from the 60s but i'm not so sure.

I thank you in advance for any information.

The Hatted Professor

New in Town
Kentley Headwear Co. appears to be a small company out of Cleveland, OH. The earliest reference I can find is from 1933 and the most recent from 1971. At a guess I'd say they probably didn't manufacture, but used a jobber like Lee or another manufacturer for their hats. There are very few reference at all to the company, so their hats are probably quite rare.

DonBowl

New in Town
Well, that's very interesting, and equally unexpected.
Thank you so much for that.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but as I mentioned earlier, the sweatband has become quite rigid and has even started tearing at the back stitching. I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to have it repaired to prevent any further damage.

Well, that's very interesting, and equally unexpected.
Thank you so much for that.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but as I mentioned earlier, the sweatband has become quite rigid and has even started tearing at the back stitching. I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to have it repaired to prevent any further damage.

It sounds like the leather sweatband has dry rot. This is very common. Once it has dry rot there is not fixing it. Most of us live with the deteriorated leather until it becomes unusable and then we replace the sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner