Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone remember Billie Dove?

klind65

One of the Regulars
Looking for information on Billie Dove. A former Ziegfeld girl, she was called, " the most beautiful woman in America" and appeared in a string of films before marrying and retiring from Hollywood. I have a photo of her, procured from the Palm Springs Historical Society which shows her in her mid 50's - 60 and attests to the fact that her beauty prevailed far past her showbiz days. Really a stunning woman.

Apropros to Mrs. Dove, I am looking for two films she made in 1932 during her affair with Howard Hughes: "Cock of the Air" and "The Age for Love". Anyone have any clue as to how to get a hold of either? :eusa_doh:

NicknNora

A-List Customer
klind65 said:
Looking for information on Billie Dove. A former Ziegfeld girl, she was called, " the most beautiful woman in America" and appeared in a string of films before marrying and retiring from Hollywood. I have a photo of her, procured from the Palm Springs Historical Society which shows her in her mid 50's - 60 and attests to the fact that her beauty prevailed far past her showbiz days. Really a stunning woman.

Apropros to Mrs. Dove, I am looking for two films she made in 1932 during her affair with Howard Hughes: "Cock of the Air" and "The Age for Love". Anyone have any clue as to how to get a hold of either? :eusa_doh:

I would love to have seen Cock of the Air before it was censored (some say eviscerated) by the Hays office.

Here's a great photo of Billie.

BillieDove65.jpg

I couldn't find Cock of the Air or The Age of Love but you can view Billie Dove in the 1926 film The Black Pirate on You Tube.

I sent an email to this fellow who sells out of print movies to see if he might have either title in his collection. I'll let you know if he does.

klind65

One of the Regulars
NicknNora said:
I would love to have seen Cock of the Air before it was censored (some say eviscerated) by the Hays office.

Here's a great photo of Billie.

BillieDove65.jpg

I couldn't find Cock of the Air or The Age of Love but you can view Billie Dove in the 1926 film The Black Pirate on You Tube.

I sent an email to this fellow who sells out of print movies to see if he might have either title in his collection. I'll let you know if he does.
Thank you so much !! And much obliged for the beautiful photo as well.:eusa_clap :) :)

klind65

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
Check out this old poster:

closerLook.asp
Excellent! This would be a great film to see as it also features the marvelous Douglas Fairbanks Jr. .....and directed by Irvin Willat. Willat was married to Miss Dove and was by all accounts a nasty piece of goods who wasn't above slapping her about - so I've read. Howard Hughes wanted to marry her while she was still married to Willat, who demanded $350,000 to let her go. So Mr. Hughes obliged him sending over all the cash in a paper sack! Thanks for the picture.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
There's an entire chapter on Billie (in her own words!) in the book "At The Center Of The Frame" by William Drew. Recommended.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
klind65 said:
Thank you so much !! And much obliged for the beautiful photo as well.:eusa_clap :) :)

I got an email response back from this guy that sells a lot of out of print movies and unfortunately he can't help with these two. I guess my only suggestion would be to request that TCM air these two movies so that you can tape them.[huh] They run a lot of silent films on Sunday (I think it's Sunday).

klind65

One of the Regulars
NicknNora said:
I got an email response back from this guy that sells a lot of out of print movies and unfortunately he can't help with these two. I guess my only suggestion would be to request that TCM air these two movies so that you can tape them.[huh] They run a lot of silent films on Sunday (I think it's Sunday).
Thanks again. I didn't have many hopes for them actually. I don't think they were ever put on video. But your suggestion is a good one; I shall try it.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy