Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
There is nothing wrong with that, to a point. Some people walk out because you're not treating them that well 'that minute'. My last one left because I wouldn't drive almost an hour to her house at 2 in the morning on a workday. To top it off, I was incredibly ill and could hardly stand. It was the only time I had ever not done something she asked.

That's a little ridiculous. Anyone so impetuous as to walk out after you say no to impractical and unnecessary requests is probably not stable enough to go the long term anyway. A certain amount of understanding and forgiveness is a crucial part of any relationship.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My last one left because I wouldn't drive almost an hour to her house at 2 in the morning on a workday. To top it off, I was incredibly ill and could hardly stand. It was the only time I had ever not done something she asked.

No, that is not why. She left you because she was being considerate and saving you the trouble from having to break up with her later for being so absurd.

Thank you Gracie, and Yeps. I felt her leaving was a bit out of line, myself. She was unstable and had a lot of baggage from a life of abuse from her father. I'm an understanding guy so I spent every day helping her through it. I'm better off, but it's tough to realize that at times.

I drove up the next day, to apologize for not coming the night before and I was sent on my way and that was the last I ever saw her.

That's a little ridiculous. Anyone so impetuous as to walk out after you say no to impractical and unnecessary requests is probably not stable enough to go the long term anyway. A certain amount of understanding and forgiveness is a crucial part of any relationship.

No, that is not why. She left you because she was being considerate and saving you the trouble from having to break up with her later for being so absurd.

I saw this in the newspaper today and am certain I will be having nightmares tonight.
Yes and for some women breaking up is hard to do. :eeek:

When I wear an A2 jacket, women seem to go nuts. Almost embarrassing. Coincidentally, I feel best in an A2. Maybe it's my just turned 50 look. Dunno. I'll take it. :)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Pretty sure I am invisible most of the time! I get more comments when I wear something 50's inspired and curling my hair seems to get me noticed. Strange - I get negative comments from women but mostly positive from men. The women I work with are always trying to get me to straighten my hair.

The women are jealous because you're getting noticed by all the fellas!

Pretty sure I am invisible most of the time! I get more comments when I wear something 50's inspired and curling my hair seems to get me noticed. Strange - I get negative comments from women but mostly positive from men. The women I work with are always trying to get me to straighten my hair.

Juliet

A-List Customer
I noticed that feminine clothing (e.g. skirts that begin at your waist and not 1 cm above the pubic bone) and manners tends to get men's attention. Maybe because it stands out SO much these days, I don't know.
Also, from the other side, I think girls DO like men, who dress vintage. But they have to have that certain degree of self-awareness and courage to date/be together with a person, who looks, from the mainstream perspective, different. Unfortunately, many lack that quality.

As concerning approaching the opposite sex - Guys, we can give you several perfectly suitable openings. But you have to take them! What C-dot quoted is a very-very true thing in most cases!

P.S. Travis, Tom - you are gems!

RichardH

One of the Regulars
As concerning approaching the opposite sex - Guys, we can give you several perfectly suitable openings. But you have to take them! What C-dot quoted is a very-very true thing in most cases!

I'm glad I live in a place where the girls are just as susceptible to approach a guy & vice verca. Makes it a lot easier! ;-)

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I was in Walgreen's one evening wearing a very...(uncharacteristic for me...it was a whim) 60s outfit...and the guy in the photo center freaked out..."Are you dressed up for something or is that how you dress everyday for work? If so, that is AWESOME!"

I've had converse moments where if I am not tan, blonde, and iron-straight hair then I don't count. Depends on the audience I guess and if there are kindred spirits among us. ;)

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I noticed that feminine clothing (e.g. skirts that begin at your waist and not 1 cm above the pubic bone) and manners tends to get men's attention. Maybe because it stands out SO much these days, I don't know.
Also, from the other side, I think girls DO like men, who dress vintage. But they have to have that certain degree of self-awareness and courage to date/be together with a person, who looks, from the mainstream perspective, different. Unfortunately, many lack that quality.

Going from looking at myself as just a fat kid to later being mildly the center of attention being the comedian and playing in a band while talking to girls whom would intimidate most any guy is quite a transition. It's something you just gotta believe in. But of course it's not always fun or rewarding, though I'm sure most guys deal with rejection on a weekly basis or whenever. Everyone on here can attest that you feel out of place in public, but at 25 I have more important things to worry about and I'm not uncomfortable with my appearance. A female counterpart would be nice right now though. BOOOO!

Juliet

A-List Customer
Richard,
and I'm not saying that's wrong. I just prefer for the contact to two-sided, not "one side making a move on the other". As in, I can start a conversation, but I prefer the gentleman to do the asking - hopelessly old-fashioned! :eek:

Travis,
I don't mean to sound trite, but feeling comfortable about yourself IS a very attractive thing. And you have a marvellous attitude!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum