Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't know if I'll actuallyt use this, but neat

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lot s of methods

For cleaning, dust with a soft brush. Spots can be touched with a damp terry cloth rag.

Lime juice on the straw and left out in the sun will "bleach" out some dark spots and lighten the straw.

Sulfur, burned in an enclosed drum or box with the hat inside bleaches the hat (notice your new high quality Montecristi has that sulfur smell?).

A tiny bit of clorox bleach in a tub of water (ie. a cap full per 5 gallons) will bleach out mold and musty spots from the hat. Of course, this is the hat body only, and you have to strip ribbon, sweat, and then totally reblock the hat.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Vials

Matt Deckard said:
Interesting... never heard of a straw cleaning kit before. Looks like what you'd use on a pair of suede shoes.

I know the suede cleaning items you're thinking of. I thought the same too at first glance. But those look like glass vials with corks, and some kind of powder in them, maybe? Sulfer? In all likelihood, I just bought some previously-thought-safe-but-now-known-to-kill substances and will end up with a $25,000 HAZMAT bill.

Ferinstance, I've just figured out, after 15 years, that the rods in all the clothes closets in my old house are lead pipes.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
wow! That is great! Anything that is that old in the original container is always a great find. And I love your Ebay ID, by the way (I'm on a victrola kick right now.)

Lauren

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Me Too

Lauren Henline said:
wow! That is great! Anything that is that old in the original container is always a great find. And I love your Ebay ID, by the way (I'm on a victrola kick right now.)

Lauren
I got into ebay early, so I got the ID I wanted.
If I can help with the phonograph/gramaphone/graphophone thing, by all means drop a note. I've been collecting and learning since I was a kid. It's pretty easy to buy something that is misrepresented these days.
Right now, I'm trimmed down to eight machines. They kind of take up space. That's why many of us eventually start collecting the steel needle tins instead.
I like them because they're time machines. I can listen to voices from 1898 or 1925 or 1946. You can read song lyrics from WWI, but you can't get a sense of the music until you hear it in context. If I want to understand what Sousa wanted The Washington Post March to sound like - I can listen to his version, firsthand! Too neat.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Great Find.

As Andy says, lime juice, or lemon (In Ecuador they are more like limes) and salt mixed into a paste should bleach the hat out and then crumble away when dry.

Sulphur fumes give the hat the beautiful color. Aging darkens the hat to a nice golden color.

If there is mold, I'd send it to a hatter, rather than try myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR