Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't want a religious look

volatile

A-List Customer
Delthayre said:
I wear a black fedora and full face beard (as seen in this picture from 2004, although I trim my beard far closer and neater now), so I sometimes wonder if people think that I'm Jewish. I would expect the rust red color of my beard and blue eyes to dissuade them from thinking that, but I imagine that the mistake is still made from time to time.

In all seriousness, I probably would make that mistake too - and I grew up in a very Jewish area!

Spellflower

Practically Family
pgoat said:
maybe it's because jeans were so practical and easy to wear that they became so commonplace, whilst hats declined because they are an additional expense, an extra article of clothing to hold/pack/store and that much more to consider when trying to dress well and look one's best.

You're probably right, but it's funny- I find jeans to be less comfortable and practical than khakis, since they're so heavy and restrictive. Also, one can't wear jeans in every setting, which means I have to give some thought to whether or not to wear them. On the other hand, a good fedora is both versatile and functional. I often wonder how people go through life without a brim to pull down against the sun, or without the automatic rain protection that I get by just wearing a hat every day.

pgoat

One Too Many
I agree on both counts - If I wear jeans every day I get used to them but I've been wearing suits the last few years (pants at the waist, not low on the hips) and now jeans feel weird on the weekends! I do maintain that people (me included) like how durable jeans are - a good pair of levis is pretty indestructable compared to even a heavy weight tweed trouser.

My wife and I braved the nasty freezing rain to get a latte around the corner this afternoon and I just grabbed a thin ski hat as it was by the door. My ears were warm enough but I got tons of water in the eyes - not fun! I was wishing for a brim. I often wear a baseball cap under a hoodie in the rain - I know very UNstylish, but then, when not stylin' I am a frightful slob....:eek:

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Try to avoid...

...this look.

TheSids.1.jpg

When I wear my black fedora I'm accused of being a Hassidic Jew or the Angel of Death from Godfather II. I guess only one is religious, and it's the one that is funkier, but they're both prettty noticeable in their own way.

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Rider:

What goes "Clip-clop-clip-clop-clip-clop-BANG! Clip-clop-clip-clop-clip-clop-BANG?"

An Amish drive-by.

I grew up near SE Pennsylvania and Pennsylvanla-Dutch country. Very interesting people. I don't know what they're thinking, but on the surface they're very tourist-friendly.

Smorgasbords. Mmmmmm! Home-made sausage. Mmmmmm! Black buggys with orange safety triangles on the back. Double take. Very decent people who will let you experience their lives if you show them respect. Take all you want at the smorgasbord, but if you don't finish your plate, you pay double.

To show you how clothes make the man, in the picture below the guy in front with the googly eyes is Steve Carell (The 40 Year Old Virgin). The rest of the guys are writers for The Daily Show.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I live in Brooklyn, and I often feel as though people are mistaking me for a religious jew, even though all my hats are brown. Last night I was wearing my Federation in Midwood, and looking for a bathroom. I went into a kosher pizza place and asked if I could use theirs, and I've never had such a warm response, with no mention of "customers only." I'm not sure if they just didn't notice the color of my hat, or if they're always that nice about it.

I think most people in NY see enough real jews that they know a brown hat with contrasting ribbon isn't what they wear. It was in Australia that everyone kept asking me if I was jewish.

If you really want to be safe, try a shorter brim. Also, unless you're dressing in vintage suits, dress casually.

:eek:fftopic:
By the way, I understand not wanting to appear to be a part of a religion you aren't a part of, but what's that got to do with terror?
This hits me right at home lol.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I don't want to be lumped into a group that has usurped the look for their own religious reasons. I just like the vintage look. How does one attain it without seeming to be an hasidic?

You cannot, except for if you simply don't wear fedoras at all.

If you do wear fedoras, people who perceive fedoras always to be religious headwear are in turn going to misconceive you to be part of whatever religious group they have in mind. Nothing can be done to control their misconceptions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn