Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't want to be (seen as) a wannabe!

Berlin

Practically Family
Obviously this is rather dependant on where you came from at the time. Holland being occupied would be a bit different to England that was getting bombed to America where these things didn't happen. Look at photos and within any crowd of any country there are people who look smarter than others, likely to do with wealth as much as anything. As Lizzie says, generally people did not wash their clothes as much as people do now. Sometimes with soap rationing, that wasn't even possible! Many War-time diaries mention difficulty of getting hold of soap or having to choose between soap for clothes or yourself.

Thing is, depends what you are doing - Re-enactment is different to wanting to wear a certain aesthetic just because you enjoy it. Most of us aren't going to not wash just because it's more 'authentic'!!! As said earlier, you have to be comfortable in your choices. This to me applies as much to cleanliness as the clothes themselves.

Isn't that exactly what I am saying? ;) By the by, the book, is from England, and the veteran was from Canada. So no Holland involved.
When I said; "often wore clothes which were old, faded, and repaired" I don't mean you shouldn't wash your clothes just because it's more authentic, but I meant that you barely pull off an authentic look, with the clothing lines LadyDay mentioned, because they simply look too new and too good. The clothes back then were quite simple and not too glamourous looking.

Ofcourse re-enactment is different than wanting to wear a certain aesthetic because of enjoying it, but at the end we all want the same. And that is to pull of the correct look for the correct era. (With exceptions ofcourse).

I am sorry if you misunderstood me because of the language barrier ;)

Last edited:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
No problem, Miss, this is the book I am talking about!

517ULTaLWQL._SL500_.jpg

I have the 50s version of that book. I really like the way most of the text is actually re-prints from magazines etc of the era, just with him drawing the commonalities out.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to have to agree with going directly to the source, too. Look at as many real old photos as possible. 90% of the people weren't gleaming "beauties." lol 90% of the dresses are obviously handmade and ill-fitting.

Of course, I don't see anything wrong with looking "too perfect", either. Who cares? It's 2011, not 1941. If *YOU* like it and *YOU* feel comfortable and confident in it, I say go for it and WHO GIVES A HOOT what others think? I know I sure don't. There's no use analysing it now and setting some kind of "rule" for vintage dressing. There are no rules.

Berlin

Practically Family
If *YOU* like it and *YOU* feel comfortable and confident in it, I say go for it and WHO GIVES A HOOT what others think? I know I sure don't. There's no use analysing it now and setting some kind of "rule" for vintage dressing. There are no rules.

That, above all, counts the most!

Berlin

Practically Family
I have the 50s version of that book. I really like the way most of the text is actually re-prints from magazines etc of the era, just with him drawing the commonalities out.

Yes, and that's exactly what he also did with the 40s version. It's a very detailed book and I love it to death. It's very informative.

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I just ordered 'Style Me Vintage' by Belinda Hay, today. I was wondering if any of you guys have come across this book and what you thought of it?! I wanted something with a step-by-step guide to hairstyles, which apparently this has, because I'm really not great at doing hair. Hopefully, it will be helpful. :)

LandGirl1980

New in Town
One more valuable point to add -- LEARN ALL YOU CAN about the era you are interested in. Fashion, movies, music, sociology, politics, etc. That way you will ooze it, even when in jeans.

This, to me, is crucial. That way you can make it your own style rather than buying off the peg items. You can thrift for vintage and modern items that you know will give you the style you want to acheive - because you know your stuff.

I just ordered 'Style Me Vintage' by Belinda Hay, today. I was wondering if any of you guys have come across this book and what you thought of it?! I wanted something with a step-by-step guide to hairstyles, which apparently this has, because I'm really not great at doing hair. Hopefully, it will be helpful. :)

Yes - this book has been out in the UK for a little while now and I started using it last week. It is great for showing you how to do some vintage hair styles. My best advice in that department is practice! Women used to spend a lot of time "dressing" their hair and making themselves look presentable. Especially in WW2 when rations in the UK made hair an inexpensive accessory. A style might take you a while to perfect - but once you get the hang over setting and styling - it will be quicker and quicker. This book is pretty darn good.

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
Thanks Landgirl! I'm glad it's a good book, it was on sale so I figured I'd give it a go. I've spent years perfecting my make-up, but hair I've just never had the patience for and sometimes I'll admit that my unruly hair just makes me lose my temper with it, lol. Thank God for snoods!

But you're absolutely right, I just need to stick at it and practice!

Berlin, I bought mine from Amazon for £7. I'm not sure if that's an option for you or not?!

Last edited:

Berlin

Practically Family
Berlin, I bought mine from Amazon for £7. I'm not sure if that's an option for you or not?!

It is, absolutely, thanks for the tip!
Tho, I am quite the novice with shipping costs etc. So I'll have my boyfriend take a look into the matter :p

Thank God for snoods!

Thank god indeed, I wear mine always when I washed my hair. When I did so, it's impossible to get my hair in a proper do. It's too soft and curls droop out in no time. Snoods for the win ;).

BoPeep

Practically Family
Wow, just found this thread . . . love it! A lot of good advice so far. I second AmyJeanne's comment on appropriate shoes that you can walk in. That's my pet peeve be it a vintage outfit or not. And Berlin (I think) mentioned the details of an outfit; wear vintage jewelry and purses, etc. They make a difference!

A "hot rockabilly mess" can be avoided by simply going for a vintage style rather than a retro style (as has been said). Newbies go for black pencil skirts, low-rise cuffed capris (ug!), polka dots, cherries and leopard prints. I own all those pieces (not the low-risers!) but to make them work, they need to be paired with more vintage pieces. Chunky heels (not stilettos), pastel cardigans (let's try something other than red), full skirts (much more comfortable), etc. The rockabilly, car show (leg humping) scene has brought the retro look back, but try to move through that stage as quick as possible and get on to the good stuff!

Juliet

A-List Customer
It is, absolutely, thanks for the tip!
Tho, I am quite the novice with shipping costs etc. So I'll have my boyfriend take a look into the matter :p

Best order from the German branch of Amazon - or you might get surprising custom costs - more than your order itself!

Drappa

One Too Many
^I thought there were no customs
charges for orders between EU countries? If she orders from Amazon UK she should be fine.

Last edited:

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I'm glad this post came up as i have been thinking a lot during the Winter break about my 'vintage credentials'. I don't want to be seen a as a wanabe so I always go into whatever my current favourite style is, with the intention of being totally 'uber'. I swapped my face care for coldcream etc. I swapped my bedroom furniture for Edwardian antiques, allowed my antique collector partner free-range to put his stuff all over the house, swapped my MAC for Beseme, swapped my Versace fragrance for Arpege etc.- and there I was thinking that to be totally uber (beyond criticism) i'd need to give up my rock music in favour of swing. I'd have to give up my mini skirts and big boots in favour of unexiting to me) tea dresses and grow my hair out of it's bob... and I thought that it just wasn't worth changing myself that much as I'd never be happy.

Okay.. so i got over that, and I realise that I don't care if if I'm criticised by only taking the glamourous 'unrealistic' and totally 'not authentic' elements of vinatge and adding them to my look. If it makes me happy to team a wiggle dress with New Rocks or mix 20's with 50's - then so be it!

P.S I banished the hubbies 'musty old rubbish' (my words, not his) to the cupboard under the stairs!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I'm glad this post came up as i have been thinking a lot during the Winter break about my 'vintage credentials'. I don't want to be seen a as a wanabe so I always go into whatever my current favourite style is, with the intention of being totally 'uber'. I swapped my face care for coldcream etc. I swapped my bedroom furniture for Edwardian antiques, allowed my antique collector partner free-range to put his stuff all over the house, swapped my MAC for Beseme, swapped my Versace fragrance for Arpege etc.- and there I was thinking that to be totally uber (beyond criticism) i'd need to give up my rock music in favour of swing. I'd have to give up my mini skirts and big boots in favour of unexiting to me) tea dresses and grow my hair out of it's bob... and I thought that it just wasn't worth changing myself that much as I'd never be happy.

Okay.. so i got over that, and I realise that I don't care if if I'm criticised by only taking the glamourous 'unrealistic' and totally 'not authentic' elements of vinatge and adding them to my look. If it makes me happy to team a wiggle dress with New Rocks or mix 20's with 50's - then so be it!

P.S I banished the hubbies 'musty old rubbish' (my words, not his) to the cupboard under the stairs!

I know what you mean! I sometimes get pangs of "oh dear, I'm not doing this properly" about the fact that I'm a bit of a mix of things! I have bleached streaks in my hair a'la contemporary rockabilly, I like to do 40s inspired hair and I mostly wear 50s swing dresses, either vintage or repro. That's because I love the hairstyles of the 40s but it's 50s fashion that suits my body shape best. I love 50s hair too, but find it more difficult to get my hair to behave worn lose! I do love swing music, but I also love ska (and lots of other things)! since I started hanging around here at the lounge and seeing all the amazing looks of people who are a bit more committed to an authentic vintage look, I have felt inspired to be more authentic, but it takes time and above all money to collect the pieces you need!

But if I was going to give advice on how to look like you're "at home" in your look and not trying to be something you're not - it's all in the details! vintage accessories make a lot of difference. And they are fun and inexpensive to collect! A brooch, a pair of earrings, a hat and a bag from the era you want to emulate, will dot the i's and cross the t's! :)

But to be honest, what I absolutely hate is bitchiness, and if you ever encounter people looking down on you for not being good enough instead of encouraging you in your love of vintage and helping you on your journey, why would you want to be around those people?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
This thread is great! I admit I had a bit of a chuckle at examples, too ;)

There's so much good advice on here I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said before.

Getting back to the source is very crucial. The internet is great for a lot of things, but it's important to remember than modern movies and online sources (blogs, forums, websites, etc) are mostly second or third hand information. There's a lot of really good info out there, but we all interpret vintage in a bit of a different way. There's really no problem with that, but if you go back to the original sources you'll find much more information. It's more fun to get what you can from an original vintage source than trying to copy someone's interpretation of a period source.

Although there are very good guidelines for vintage looks I think that people expect there to be a formula for style success... like "victory rolls + red lipstick + polka dots + red white and blue + seamed stockings + peep toes= 1940s". And while it can work that way it's alot more fun to see all the different style options that are out there and see what works best for you. Maybe you're more of a girly girl and look great in pastels and frills- maybe you're sporty and do well with tailored dresses and separates- maybe you look better in an updo than with rolls and a snood... there's just so many options out there so look around and don't be afraid to try them out.

The too-polished and "sunday best" thing is quite funny. If you wear every bit of your best you're going to look in costume or like you're eager to show off your prizes. Funnily enough the most casual looks sometimes take the most planning and knowledge. You gotta know a lot to make it look natural sometimes ;) Build up with basics and mix and match the fun stuff in.

We've all been through the playing with hair, makeup, and proportion thing in order to find out what's the best for us. Heavens knows I have had some very terrible style moments (and they still happen). So don't worry- it's just a learning curve and over time you'll settle in to what's best for you :)

Last edited:

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean! I sometimes get pangs of "oh dear, I'm not doing this properly" about the fact that I'm a bit of a mix of things! I have bleached streaks in my hair a'la contemporary rockabilly, I like to do 40s inspired hair and I mostly wear 50s swing dresses, either vintage or repro. That's because I love the hairstyles of the 40s but it's 50s fashion that suits my body shape best. I love 50s hair too, but find it more difficult to get my hair to behave worn lose! I do love swing music, but I also love ska (and lots of other things)! since I started hanging around here at the lounge and seeing all the amazing looks of people who are a bit more committed to an authentic vintage look, I have felt inspired to be more authentic, but it takes time and above all money to collect the pieces you need!

But if I was going to give advice on how to look like you're "at home" in your look and not trying to be something you're not - it's all in the details! vintage accessories make a lot of difference. And they are fun and inexpensive to collect! A brooch, a pair of earrings, a hat and a bag from the era you want to emulate, will dot the i's and cross the t's! :)

But to be honest, what I absolutely hate is bitchiness, and if you ever encounter people looking down on you for not being good enough instead of encouraging you in your love of vintage and helping you on your journey, why would you want to be around those people?

Girls - you took the words right out of my mouth. Like a few other girls on this forum, I was into Grunge and Rock in my youth (still am music-wise) but always secretly yearned to be more feminine. I used to pour over the photos of my Nan and her sisters when they were young girls. I thought they looked like film stars.

I think I used to hide behind grungey clothes because if I was intentionally being "un-pretty" then no-one could accuse me of trying to be something I wasn't. As I've got older though I've decided that if I like something I'll wear it and not care what others think. I'm not anywhere near 100% authentic but I don't wear the clothes, make-up, hair I wear to tick the boxes of some book. I wear what I feel comfortable in as, I'm sure, our ancestors did. I take a pride in my appearance now that I never used to and I feel much happier about myself because of it.

I utterly admire (and envy) those ladies and gents that totally embrace the golden era lifestyle and everything that goes with it but it just isn't always practical for me. If I won the lottery I'd love to redecorate my house and buy an entire vintage wardrobe but, at the moment, I just meander through my life picking up bits and bobs that I like along the way.

Like LinaSofia said, why would you want the praise of somebody who's bitchy enough to look down on you because you aren't wearing the quite right dress with those shoes? Just enjoy wearing what you feel comfortable in. If that means wearing a beautiful swing dress with a modern style handbag then so be it! None of us are perfect!

If you do want to become more authentic though, all the ladies on this forum are wonderful and full of amazing advice and tips. Just don't be scared to be yourself. X

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
One more valuable point to add -- LEARN ALL YOU CAN about the era you are interested in. Fashion, movies, music, sociology, politics, etc. That way you will ooze it, even when in jeans.

I had many people tell me when I'm in jeans and a t-shirt that "You are 30s no matter what you wear!" That's probably the most important part of not looking like a "wannabe." Anyone can wear a costume -- it takes a tue lover to embrace the era and make that "costume" their way of life.

You've got it, Amy Jeanne! I always get comments from those who know me and see me regularly cannot define--"You just always seem to have a vintage look--never just one particular era, but always has that touch--and you always manage to make it look French, too!"

It's the 'something' not the 'everything' that makes style ... style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner