Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double Breasted Overcoat with Double Breasted Suit or Jacket

Qirrel

Practically Family
Seems to me that the people over at Esquire/GQ have too many pages to fill. What could possibly be wrong with wearing a DB overcoat with a DB jacket? Besides, the jacket isn't even visible when wearing the overcoat! This "rule" warrants the :eusa_doh: smiley.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't call it a faux pas. They are just making up rules because the have to write articles and need to fill them with stuff.

It could get somewhat warm though. I found out that I prefer the look of DB overcoats. It would be silly to buy another overcoat just in case I want to wear a DB suit.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't know if it reaches faux pas status or breaks any rule but I find the aesthetic of the look to be a bit redundant, similar to wearing a DB vest with a DB jacket.

Qirrel

Practically Family
I don't know if it reaches faux pas status or breaks any rule but I find the aesthetic of the look to be a bit redundant, similar to wearing a DB vest with a DB jacket.

Personally I don't think a look can be "saturated" with double-breasted-ness. Besides, the DB overcoat would not ruin any look if the DB jacket is visible, since the overcoat would be on the coat rack/over the arm or somewhere else not on your body. Except if, of course, you wear your DB coats unbuttoned.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
. Except if, of course, you wear your DB coats unbuttoned.
It seems that all my coats, DBs included, spend a good amount of time unbuttoned. Oh, don't tell me that there's a rule against that too.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's not a rule.

For obvious reasons, double-breasted suit jackets --and overcoats-- keep you warmer than single-breasted ones. If you need to stave off the cold by wrapping an extra layer of cloth around your torso and legs, then it makes all the sense in the world to wear a double-breasted overcoat over a double-breasted suit jacket. When necessary, men have been doing so since the 19th century. Nothing wrong with it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
These magazines like passing their opinions off as rules sometimes even when they're ridiculous. (I once read that a peaked lapel dinner jacket should be avoided because it is too flashy for black tie occasions - need I say more?)

There is no practical reason not to wear a DB overcoat over a DB suit. I often do it with a DB trenchcoat and plenty of characters in old films do this. I don't even think there's a problem if the overcoat is unbuttoned (though the jacket should be buttoned in my opinion).

As Quirrel says, the fewer rules, the better. The only rules which must be followed when wearing a suit are:
1) the suit must fit properly
2) socks must be worn if shoes are worn
3) any accessories should coordinate with the suit

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Most tailors would warn off a customer from ordering a DB vest with a DB suit.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Most tailors would warn off a customer from ordering a DB vest with a DB suit.
Most tailors would warn a customer off ordering a DB suit with a waistcoat at all, although I understand your point about a DB suit and a DB waistcoat being a bit much. It's different from a DB suit and DB overcoat though in my opinion.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I had a feeling that Esquire and GQ are full of it regarding that DB rule. It looks like I was right. :)

Seems to me that the people over at Esquire/GQ have too many pages to fill. What could possibly be wrong with wearing a DB overcoat with a DB jacket? Besides, the jacket isn't even visible when wearing the overcoat! This "rule" warrants the :eusa_doh: smiley.

Esquire or GQ recently said that you don't wear a DB overcoat with a DB suit or jacket as it is overkill and should not be done (implying that doing so is a faux pas). Is this true? Or, are Esquire and GQ full of it?

While I agree with many of the above points, about multi double-breasted garment being a bit overkill aesthetically; in regards to Esquire and GQ saying so, all I can saw is even a broken clock is right twice a day . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner