Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double-brim adventure hats

dr greg

One Too Many
To quote Wiki
The slouch hat or Terai hat is also associated with the Gurkha regiments of the British Army and Indian Army (formerly the British Indian Army) and is still worn by the Gurkhas; the hat is no longer worn on active service. The 2nd Gurkha Rifles became the first Gurkha regiment to adopt the slouch hat when they were issued with the Australian variant in 1901. The Gurkha terai hat is created by fusing two hats into one to make the hat more rigid and is worn at an angle, tilted to the right.

TVDinners

New in Town
To quote Wiki
The slouch hat or Terai hat is also associated with the Gurkha regiments of the British Army and Indian Army (formerly the British Indian Army) and is still worn by the Gurkhas; the hat is no longer worn on active service. The 2nd Gurkha Rifles became the first Gurkha regiment to adopt the slouch hat when they were issued with the Australian variant in 1901. The Gurkha terai hat is created by fusing two hats into one to make the hat more rigid and is worn at an angle, tilted to the right.
Should that imply then that a double-brimmed "terai" hat is more or less two hats, one inside of the other?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Should that imply then that a double-brimmed "terai" hat is more or less two hats, one inside of the other?

That's possible TV but more likely the inner crown was cut at the sweatband height. That way it can be creased with relative ease and still have the double brim.
Welcome to the Lounge, what part of Oregon?

TVDinners

New in Town
That's possible TV but more likely the inner crown was cut at the sweatband height. That way it can be creased with relative ease and still have the double brim.
That makes perfect sense! I figured it was either two hats put together or just the brim- cut below the sweat band- sewn to another brim, but cutting it above the sweat band makes much more sense than both of those. I'm with Oldsarge, I'd love to see any pictures you have of the 'Bwana hat."
Welcome to the Lounge, what part of Oregon?
I'm from The Dalles, thanks for asking!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome TVD. Yeah, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear double brimmed adventure hat is Stewart Granger in King Solomon's Mines.
308715.1020.A.jpg

article-0-024DE0DF000005DC-281_468x309.jpg

displayimage.php

2816949639_761d3d811b_o.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Galen129

New in Town
Gotta love those hats! I really like the idea, that a double brim keeps the hat looking sharp in hot, sweaty weather.

T Rick

Practically Family
Might be a long shot, but you could try either the email link (if enabled) or the PM function for the OP, requesting pics (possible the PM will get to him even if he's not hanging out here, if he had email notification for PM's enabled in his settings).

kaiser

A-List Customer
According to what I've read, the extra set of felt is supposed to make the heat less onerous on the head. The idea is that the heat hits the first felt on the outside, dissipates between them, and then the head is cooler on the inside as a result. It is sort of like a canvas fly being placed over the top of a canvas tent. The extra covering of canvass is supposed to absorb most of the heat with the tent ceiling below it getting less direct heat. Therefore, the inside of the tent is supposed to be cooler.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think that the authentic version of this hat had one hat body over another rather than just a double brim.

TVDinners

New in Town
I agree. Although the weathered drape of an old safari hat has a certain beauty to it, I wouldn't advertise that on a new hat. Beside that, the cheetah hat band is a bit over the top. Regardless, I was interested in the double-brim. "A handsome hat alright, but brim and sometimes crown are doubled to provide insulation against the burning Veldt." So this confirms that both double-brimmed and double-crowned hats were available. I'm curious, would it be possible to just take two hats of the same color (one larger than the other) and make a terai out of that?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The image in the lower right corner is interesting: the brim goes up on the sides relative to the front. It looks like an oval hat worn with the brim up when worn by someone with a long oval head. I usually wear my hat at an angle when a hat does that on me, to avoid the distortion, but maybe the distortion is an acceptable look, if it's in a hat promotion ad.

Has a bit of a Homburg-ish look. Perhaps the lower hat has a bound rim?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo