Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double leather (leather lined) cuffs

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Why do people order this type of cuff from Aero? To keep the cuffs straight and without wrinkling and folds? It's been my experience that FQHH in double cuffs press down on the backs of one's hands into the bones and don't feel very comfortable. Of course, I've never owned a FQHH jacket that was properly broken in. I have heard how many folks with FQHH jackets do not wear them all that often. I wonder if the thick cuffs are one factor that is uncomfortable. I saw that Rudy ordered them on his goat half belt. That seems sensible to me, as goat is a softer leather and thinner than FQHH, as well. I could also see ordering double cuffs on thinner horsehides other than FQHH.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I specified a double leather cuff on my goatskin 30's Half Belt as I thought it would be an area of friction that might wear out a liner early. Turns out the double leather cuff is standard on an Aero button cuff jacket (or at least that is what Amanda told me).

mattp

One of the Regulars
I thought this sounded like a good idea to add to the longevity of the jacket (abrasion from watch etc, and to prevent the lining sagging out of the end of the sleeve), but I've taken the option off my order after meeting with Will at Aero and also trying on a jacket belonging to Giles from Iron Heart that had them fitted. Will told me they were unnecessary and he recommended against them (this is on a Cafe Racer). I then tried on Giles' jacket, and the cuffs were really quite uncomfortable due to the stiffness of the horsehide (oil pull in that instance), so I wouldn't add it to any jacket that isn't designed that way from the get go.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I assumed it would be standard on my FQHH Hercules, but it wasn't. The cuffs
are wrinkling as fast as any other part of the jacket. It's okay, but not my preference.
I suspect most heavy duty vintage jackets would have the double leather cuff (obviously
excepting those with knits).

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
To me the double cuffs have the same use as the leather strip at the hem: to prevent sagging of the lining. I haven't found the double cuffs to be uncomfortable, though, neither with my goat jacket nor the FQHH. There's an overall stiffness to FQHH that makes it not the most comfortable to wear. But that has nothing to do with the cuffs.

Butte, that's because of the sheer number of jackets you have. Sell all but one and you'll live to see the day!

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
What I don't get are jackets that have knit elastic cuffs, but with a piece of leather - about 1+1/2 inches thick, in between, where the knit cuffs seam would be. I used to have a flight bomber jacket like that...

I think you're talking about storm cuffs? They're nice because you get a dressier look and the warmth of a sealed wrist.
4243435036_74b40462ff_o.jpg

What I don't get are jackets that have knit elastic cuffs, but with a piece of leather - about 1+1/2 inches thick, in between, where the knit cuffs seam would be. I used to have a flight bomber jacket like that...

Some civi 'bomber' jackets had a peice of leather spliced into the bottom of the knit cuff simply because the underside of wrist knit cuff was considered a high wear area. Original A-2s didn't have a seam running the length of the knit cuffs..nor do high end repros.
HD

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Yes Hoosier, you got it, that's what I'm talking about! That makes sense, actually. And by the way, as for A-2s not having seams, that's exactly what stopped me in the past to buy a repro from US Authentic, as I saw pictures of their cuffs with seams in them. Not sure how they make them now though.
And to Butte: I can't bring myself to like storm cuffs, to me they seem hesitant. Go one way or another, you know?

I don't like storm cuffs either - none of mine have them. Never seen the thing you and HD have. But it makes some sense...however I'd rather just replace the worn knits.

Edward

Bartender
I wasn't a fan of the look of storm cuffs until I got my highwayman with them in. They're great for keeping the draught out on a cool evening. It does place some limit on using the jacket in warmer weather, but then I doubt I'd want to wear it even without them when it gets that hot.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I got double cuffs on my old black cowhide and they always reminded me of old workers' jackets, where you needed this area being reinforced to avoid early damage. People used to work with their hands back then. :D
As I know how stiff that was in cowhide - this is still, after 14 years of wear, the stiffest part of the jacket - I'm quite happy my new LHB in FQHH doesn't have that feature. I'm sure the jacket will be tough enough for all I want to put it through as it is... If I can stand it, the jacket will, too. ;) Only the leather-stripe in the hem would have been a good idea, but maybe this can be retrofitted whenever the jacket needs relining.

jksu

Familiar Face
I wasn't a fan of the look of storm cuffs until I got my highwayman with them in. They're great for keeping the draught out on a cool evening. It does place some limit on using the jacket in warmer weather, but then I doubt I'd want to wear it even without them when it gets that hot.

never had a jacket with storm cuffs before the highwayman -- and i love them! one of my favorite parts of the highwayman.

very comfortable and yes, i prefer the look to external a2 cuffs. it's already a thick (fqhh) jacket that it'll never be something i'd wear warm weather anyways.

i have other jackets without storm cuffs. having seen pictures of old worn out sleeve linings in jackets, i can understand the reason to have the extra leather at the ends of the sleeves for durability... just like the leather strip in the hem. i hope to stay slim enough, long enough to wear out a jacket or two where i would replace the linings ;-)

The main reason I don't like 'em is watches. Mine are all pretty large, and it's a b*tch to wear them with storm cuffs and sometimes even knits as found on A-2/A-1/G-1s. I usually put the watch on after I don the jacket. I'd like a cafe with zip sleeves next. I always like that when I ride, and haven't had one for some years...

Edward

Bartender
My Thirties Halfbelt has the regular cuffs, my Bootlegger the leather-lined. I asked for button cuffs on my Bootlegger as a modification; the leather lined ones were issued as standard. The regular type are much easier to unbutton (which I don't need to do anyhow). I would lean, by preference, to leather lined as they're easier to keep clean, but I can't say I've noticed any real grubbiness on the regular version. I give both jackets about the same level of wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner