Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not all of those anachronisms are anachronisms. "Rosey", "Couldn't care less", and I'm pretty sure "Push comes to shove". But still, there are plenty of others.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I caught up with D.A. on DVD last year. Friends on another forum had recommended it highly. I enjoyed the first season immensely. I'm less than in love with the second installment as I felt they went a little overboard for cheap sentimentality and soap opera content. Sneakin' and cheatin', poisenings and deathbed pronouncements sigh. However, maudlin as it was it was still entertaining. And, in that I'm hooked, I'll be lining up for Series 3, 4 and 5 if there are any.

Worf

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
a_560x0.jpg

Downton Abbey paper dolls

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Haha! Love it!

I can forgive small anachronisms, even as a trained historian. I'm not going to nitpick a few very subtle changes in language as language is very, very versatile and fluid. If Anna said "our garden is rosy again" or whatever it was, it's very possible someone COULD have said that at that time - it didn't have to be a "popular expression." People come up with their own sayings all the time as is evidenced by the enormous shift of teen slang every ten years or so.

I am new to this show, my wife and I watched a show from season 2 last week. I understand the third season will bring the characters into the 20's which should be interesting. I really enjoyed what I watched so far.

Great show. We bought the first seasons on Blu-Ray to get caught up. Can't wait until January for the new season. Shirley Maclaine I'm not so sure about, but that won't ruin it.
One of the best shows in years - certainly on PBS. We got sucked in and finished two seasons in ~10 days!

Weston

A-List Customer
Season 2 was a bit soapy, season 1 was perfection. Season 3 could be Carson sending out the laundry every week and we'd still be glued to the tube.

Weston

A-List Customer
If you know where to look, you can sometimes catch the episodes an hour or so after they air in the UK. My wife and I watched the Christmas Special on Christmas! Quite the present, that.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube_share;NvDtszcZAV0]http://youtu.be/NvDtszcZAV0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;twmT-BncW7k]http://youtu.be/twmT-BncW7k[/video]
Two new clips from the upcoming season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24