Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Downton Abbey - I'm hooked

St. Louis

Practically Family
Stop scaring me! Oh no ... tragic and dark ... I hope you're not referring to poor Mr. Bates! Edith will be fine. I think that old Strallan should have gone through with it, but since he chose not to (and seriously, what was he thinking?) Edith is probably better off in the long run.

I agree that her wedding dress was exquisite.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I accidentally saw a spoiler about what is to come. I hate when that happens. :(

When I saw this spoiler that Sybil and Tom would die this season, I assumed they would die at the same time, perhaps something related to his Irish activism like they'd both be shot or blown up or something. So sad to see tonight that she died in childbirth. :( Now I'm dreading to find out how Tom dies. :(

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thank goodness I stayed up to watch the DVR last night since it seems the words "SPOILER ALERT" haven't made it into this forum yet... C'mon folks. Not everyone watches the program on Sunday Night.

Worf

St. Louis

Practically Family
Thanks, AnnateisGal. I appreciate that. I really wish the spoiler had not been posted, since this forum wasn't labeled (otherwise I wouldn't have read it.)

I found the story line profoundly sad, and I must say the ongoing drama with Bates is beginning to get on my nerves. I'm not quite as happy with this show as I once was.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, AnnateisGal. I appreciate that. I really wish the spoiler had not been posted, since this forum wasn't labeled (otherwise I wouldn't have read it.)

I found the story line profoundly sad, and I must say the ongoing drama with Bates is beginning to get on my nerves. I'm not quite as happy with this show as I once was.

Having seen it all, I SO want to talk about it - but I will wait to vent until everyone has seen it. I wasn't pleased with this season.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
For those who DON'T want to know what's going to happen in any BBC series a year ahead of time, I suggest NOT reading British newspapers online on a regular basis. I do, and now I know all too much about what's going to happen.
But those things are not what really bothers me about the show. It's the overall cheesiness of it, and the way every other line or situation is basically what a person from today might say if they were magically transported back to 1918 or 1921 or whatever. CONSTANT winking at the audience.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I guess the lesson is that if you live in the U.S.A., and even if you watch this on Sunday night (as I do), DON'T READ THIS THREAD! My goodness, people, keep some things to yourselves!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
BTW, Tom doesn't die. So there's that. :)

Well, that's some measure of comfort. For some strange reason, I thought they'd "kill off" one of the daughters given the way the season went before this past episode. But I honestly did not expect Sybil to be the one. Having had a girl friend who recently had to deliver her daughter as a premie because of pre-e, the minute Sybil said she had a headache I knew that was bad news... and when she said she was tired after the birth (which is not normal for most women, most women are jittery while exhausted) I knew she was going to be dead by the end of the episode. Poor thing.

But, I didn't know that they used c-sections that early for pre-e. One of my colleague's mother died of toxemia in the 1940s (hospital birth) and I had assumed that was basically the only outcome.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I guess the lesson is that if you live in the U.S.A., and even if you watch this on Sunday night (as I do), DON'T READ THIS THREAD! My goodness, people, keep some things to yourselves!

So what is the appropriate timeline for discussing things that happens on a TV show? Do we need to do a poll each week to make sure everyone has seen it before discussing? You are right, if you don't want to find out what happens before you've seen the most recent episode, then don't read this thread.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
With this series, it's hard because it is broadcast so many different places at different times. So I guess in consideration for everyone, if we're going to dish about a show, we should always include the "spoiler alert" at the very beginning of the message. Just a suggestion.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Julius Caesar was delivered by C section, or Cesarian section. That's who it was named after. There's also a mention in Shakespeare's Macbeth. Macbeth would not be killed by any man by woman born. His killer (was it Macduff? or Malcolm? Whatever.) was "ripped untimely from my mother's flesh", i.e. C section. So it's been going on for centuries, probably millennia.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot