Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr Martens

RIOT

Practically Family
I still have my black 10i and oxblood 14i bovvers around somewhere.. both steelies. Started wearing them back in the early 80's and used to put taps on the front soles. I only had to replace the soles once with Getagrips on the 14i, spit shine them till they turned marbleized. Those were the bootboy days.

troy

One of the Regulars
Many pair

I have several pair, and have retired several pair over the last 25 years.

I currently wear a pair of three hole black DM shoes every day to work - greasy finish. I also have another pair of black 3 holes (shiny finish) which I am in the process of stretching. I have a pair of Aztec Brown (three holes I think - possibly five).

I have a pair of eight hole black boots and a pair of eight hole blue boots.

I have been swearing by DM footwear for the last 25 years. They make a great shoe that feels great looks great in a variety of outfits and settings, and lasts a good long time.

I'm certainly not happy about the switch to the made in China docs, but I think the quality is still better than a lot of other shoes in the price range.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
As an Englishman i was sorry to see production moved but since the switch the range of styles has increased.I have also found them to be a buy and wear boot no breaking in needed i am a standard size 8.

Abyss

Familiar Face
I just ordered a pair of 1914s from a military surplus/boot store by me. I lucked out, too; they didn't have the style I wanted in stock, but since I asked on the day they were lacing an order anyways I didn't get slapped with a special order fee. These will be my first pair of Docs, wish me luck people!

...not that there's not a family history, considering that my mother has been wearing Dr. Martens ever since they came out, from her punk youth days to wearing a white pair of Docs as a bridesmaid at a wedding (she never really gave up all of the punkness, see).

I wonder what people think about these boots, though. 14 eye wingtips... probably would look good with a kilt?

carter

I'll Lock Up
I must be on some weird wavelength.

I've been thinking about ordering a pair of 20 eye Doc Martins for some time and decided to do so this evening when I found them on sale at Amazon.com for $103.00 with free shipping.
31DA7ZMZS1L._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Un...8FDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1228282195&sr=8-2
I wonder how long it'll take to break them in.

Edward

Bartender
I used to wear Doctor Martens as school shoes, and they were incredibly practical and comfortable. Of course, the original Doctor Marten was an orthopaedic doctor and the shoes were designed specifically to offer improved support for the feet. I haven't had a pair of the boots for years now (I eventually moved on to cheaper, longer lasting military issue boots), but I do still have a pair of the shoes. Actually, they are DMs made specifically for the Royal Mail (postal service). The only real difference is that they have blacker soles and a very, very subtle embossed logo at the ankle (which noone has ever spotted). I bought them on eBay, new, from a suprplus dealer for GBP10. They're ideal for a comfortable shoe to wear casually the way I would once have worn trainers (gutties!!). The only thing I would do differently again would be to buy the regular toe rather than the steel-toe: as a result of the lack of flex when knocked, steel-toed shoes scuff much more easily, so they really aren't quite as presentable as once they were.

univibe88

One Too Many
Edward said:
Actually, they are DMs made specifically for the Royal Mail (postal service). The only real difference is that they have blacker soles and a very, very subtle embossed logo at the ankle (which noone has ever spotted).

Can you show us some pictures please? :D

Edward

Bartender
univibe88 said:
Can you show us some pictures please? :D

No decent photos of my own - I'll try and remember over the weekend to get a decent shot of the logo - but here's a photo from eBay, I believe from the same seller:

a73d_1.JPG

I picked mine up, now I think about it, in 2002. They've since gone up to GBP£24.99 a pair, which still isn't bad, considering.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Just to add that all new DMs will be made in China, but Johnson Shoes has a stock of the old 'Made in England' types. While they last.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just gave up a pair of blood red wingtips to a friend of mine. I had had them since the mid 90s, wore them all the time, and there was only the slightest hint of wear on the soles.

They were good shoes.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
john z said:
These were my favourite & used to polish the toes 'til they shone like glass. Would love to wear them today but feel too old to pull it off :(
OI! Don't feel too old! Embrace your style and look how you want! I demand you wear them!

carter said:
I've been thinking about ordering a pair of 20 eye Doc Martins for some time and decided to do so this evening when I found them on sale at Amazon.com for $103.00 with free shipping.
31DA7ZMZS1L._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Martens-Un...8FDG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1228282195&sr=8-2
I wonder how long it'll take to break them in.

I have these and I love them.

I also have a pair of Doctor Marten Mary Jane style shoes:
4fd2_1.JPG

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
H.Johnson said:
Just to add that all new DMs will be made in China, but Johnson Shoes has a stock of the old 'Made in England' types. While they last.

I just happen to be hunting for some Docs in an Oxford shoe style. Did a search. Got about a dozen Johnson Shoes hits. :eek: (help)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy