Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dr. Who?

swinggal

One Too Many
Doesn't really matter but...even in the first series in the 60s it appears he took on the name because others had begun calling him it...it wasn't something he originally called himself. It sort of just stuck :)

In an interview with The Age in 2003, Tom Baker mentioned that the Doctor is called so because he is "a doctor of time and relative dimension in space". Apart from being called a doctor of the TARDIS, the Doctor has also been referred to as just a "doctor of time travel.

In "The Lodger", the Eleventh Doctor states "I'm the Doctor, well they call me The Doctor, I don't know why; I call me The Doctor, I still don't know why"

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Aside from his name/title and how he(they) came about it, I admire what the original Doctors wore moreso than the gents of the current series. Made me want to emulate their look (or that of the occasional lady sidekick) when I was young.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wow. And here I thought it was a simple question! :eusa_doh:

:p

I'd only seen some of the Tom Baker era shows, though I knew the concept of changing actors. It just seemed that whenever I came across a Doctor Who episode being shown it was one of his. I was a bit surprised to read here that Peter Davison was a Doctor. My wife and I have been working our way through the "All Creatures Great and Small" series recently.

We've started watching the current run with the latest Doctor. We like it so far, but getting the time to watch (we record it) is a pain.

Cheers,
Tom

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: sort of

Has anyone else noticed the sound engineer/ mixers heavy hand with the background? My wife and I are finding it difficult to understand a great deal of dialogue with the current Doctor. Aside from the obvious english vs american english ear cocking required for most Americans the dialogue is disappearing into the general rattle.
Tom D.
img054-1.jpg

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
St.Ignatz said:
:eek:fftopic: sort of

Has anyone else noticed the sound engineer/ mixers heavy hand with the background? My wife and I are finding it difficult to understand a great deal of dialogue with the current Doctor. Aside from the obvious english vs american english ear cocking required for most Americans the dialogue is disappearing into the general rattle.
Tom D.

It's an English thing... :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
OFF TOPIC:

Reading this thread has been great for my psyche. It's always reassuring to know that there are others who, like me, weren't cool enough to be invited to play Dungeons and Dragons in high school....

;)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
Mind if we stick to the hats in this thread and take the other data to a thread for that alone?

There are a couple other "Who" threads. I have no problem with that. The Baker hat was a bit too flamboyant for me at the time but it went well with the scarf. I lean more towards the Panama of McCoy. Decent had, marginal Doctor.

Edward

Bartender
Actually, I think McCoy was much better than it is popular to 'remember' - seems to me he has suffered from some revisionism on the basis that it was on his watch, as it were, that the show was cancelled...

The one doctor I really struggled with was Colin Baker, though that was as much to do with the damn clownsuit as anything; if you can get past that, there were some quite good stories, and I did like that they made a concious effort to make his doctor rather darker than some prior incarnations.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Edward said:
The one doctor I really struggled with was Colin Baker, though that was as much to do with the damn clownsuit as anything; if you can get past that, there were some quite good stories, and I did like that they made a concious effort to make his doctor rather darker than some prior incarnations.

You're not the only one. He's pretty much universally reviled, isn't he? I always hated him, for both the ridiculous clown suit and the fact that he made the Doctor a pompous jerk.

Covenant07

New in Town
Troubles with understanding the Doctor's dialogue? Me too.

I think the Doctor would tell you, St. Ignatz, to enable the closed captioning option on your television. In fact, he might even employ his sonic screwdriver to do it for you. :)

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
swinggal said:
What's Jon Pertwee wearing here? Wonder why they stopped him wearing it regularly in his time as the Dr. I've seen pub shots of him wearing it with cape.
Those shots are from the first Pertwee story Spearhead from Space. If I recall, The Doctor is escaping a hospital, and steals some clothes from a locker room. The hat is part of the outfit. He puts it on, looks in the mirror, and discards it. He doesn't actually wear it as part of his costume after the first series.

He also wears this hat is Spearhead. :)
JP-2.jpg

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I love baker era Who. He reminds me of that cool teacher in high school, the one who was a little crazy and got everyone in the room excited about the material.

Nothing better for a fever than a day spent in bed watching hours of these.
A close second is watching The Stand.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Bustercat said:
I love baker era Who. He reminds me of that cool teacher in high school, the one who was a little crazy and got everyone in the room excited about the material.

Nothing better for a fever than a day spent in bed watching hours of these.
A close second is watching The Stand.

But which hat would you be wearing for each Doctor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails